PDA

View Full Version : DotA

Masamune
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I've recently regressed back Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne recently with some of my friends. And we play nothing but DotA basically. Mayhaps someone would like to play DotA with us? We play it a lot.

We're on Azeroth US East.

Name: Luvz2Splooge

:P

MottZilla
03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
DotA sucks. :p Play Tides of Blood.

mikeron
03-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I remember Hands of Sorrow Knight being way the hell better than DotA. [link (http://www.hoskmap.com/)]

EatinCake
03-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Dota is severly over-rated... people seem to like it because of all the random heros you can choose from, but game wise there are far better games like it (Tides of Blood is the one my friends and I would play). Look for those ones instead of just submiting to the Dota bandwagon.

MottZilla
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Not to mention that DotA is all about getting money to buy ubber powerful weapons before the other team does. In other "Aeon of Strife" type maps like Tides of Blood, items are significant but they never make you a god like they do in DotA.

gdorf
03-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Hip Hop Lyrics (http://www.lyricsfreedom.com)

Beldaran
03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
What is dota? Besides of course a useless acronym that should never be used.

Acronyms are horrible and stupid. It is unconscionable that human beings who wish to communicate effectively should purposely encrypt their language for no other purpose than to save space in a digital medium which is scaled orders of magnitude above the size being used, or to save themselves less than one or two seconds at most of extra typing.

I think it is retarded and offensive. There.

So anyway, let me in to your little special club and tell me what dota means.

Sam Atoms
03-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Thank you, I was fighting an impulse to ask the same thing.

Anyway, your post inspired me to get off my ass and hit the google for 30 seconds. Apparently it stands for Defense of the Ancients, a Warcraft III custom map. But I wouldn't really know, the only experience I've had with Warcraft is through the Blizzard demo. :cool:

Daarkseid
03-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Tried playing the game once on Bnet but I was fairly new to the game, and honestly not that good at RTS type games, so I quit after my teammates were bitching every time I died.

DarkDragoonX
03-23-2007, 10:37 PM
What is dota? Besides of course a useless acronym that should never be used.

Acronyms are horrible and stupid. It is unconscionable that human beings who wish to communicate effectively should purposely encrypt their language for no other purpose than to save space in a digital medium which is scaled orders of magnitude above the size being used, or to save themselves less than one or two seconds at most of extra typing.

WTF?

That's right, I went there.

Cloral
03-23-2007, 10:48 PM
TMA. That's all I can say.

Beldaran
03-23-2007, 11:04 PM
WTF?

That's right, I went there.

SYLTIAIWBATYTIMR. FITICUSMTGAWF. YCCMFTT,OSIISBIAFTRYLOFC. WTS,YAAGPOFVF. T,IFAGAWIBIUY"HR"FOC.

TR, IWT.

gdorf
03-23-2007, 11:30 PM

MottZilla
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
When did you ever play WarCraft 3 with me? It'd have to have been years ago. I rarely if ever play it anymore. All maps tend to be pretty lame and simply about retarded boosting that is unbalanced. Simply put, you want to get as much money as quick as possible, to buy your power. And the increments of power gain are so huge, once you are say.. 2 notches above another player, they automatically lose. Many of these maps are so unbalanced that basically what character you pick from the start more or less determines if you win or lose.

Anyway, I highly recommend Tides of Blood which has balance and requires team work. What I think appeals to people about DotA is it's all about me. Not team work. It's all about the l337 individual being unrealistically powerful.

gdorf
03-24-2007, 05:12 AM

AlexMax
03-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I gave DotA a whirl about a year ago, and while it was an interesting concept, it was way too hard to memorize all of the items and what they did, and for some reason the game itself turned perfectiyl nice people into complete fuckwads due to how easy it was for one guy on your team to screw everyone over. Plus, there are a lot of bad theorycrafters out there with a forum account, and threads about DotA invariably spiral down into flame wars, even on SA.