PDA

View Full Version : Have you met any Famous People?

Shoelace
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
First off, I put this in this thread because it really isn't about entertainment. I just want to hear the stories of your encounters with famous people. I currently have a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHVJD2p0-E that asks the same question.

Me, I never met a famous person until last month. It was really cool. I met Bobby Lee, Spike Feresten, Jordan Peele, and Arden Myrin. They were doing this MadTV tour and they stuck around and talked to the fans. I talked to them for a while and they were really awesome. They even let me record them, saying, "You beat can't beat Michael the Magnificent" which is in that video. I was so happy about that, it really made my day. Afterwards, they even recorded me doing a MadTV sketch. They interviewed a couple of people, saying, did you like the show? And I had to say it sucked. So basically I trash talked it, and it came off realistic. I don't know if they showed it on MadTV as I am working during the airing of the show, but it was really awesome that they took the time out for the fans.

So anyways, have you guys ever met a famous person? If so share your stories.

Beldaran
03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
My uncle is fairly well known (famous, you might say) in the world of contemporary smooth jazz. He plays saxaphone, amongst other things.

My friend's uncle is the lead singer for The Violent Femmes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violent_Femmes) and one time I got to have dinner with the whole band, and then attend a concert with backstage passes.

I once snuck into a political rally and shook Dick Cheney's hand on an airport runway. That was scary. :)

I have met the bass player of Earth Wind and Fire.

I sat next to the lead singer of Everclear at a major league baseball game.

I have corresponded (ie sent AND recieved mail) with Terry Goodkind, a popular fantasy author.

That's about it, I think.

MrCow
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I've met a few famous people, seen a few, one being a patriot player, another being Ricky Davis, an nba player.

Darth Marsden
03-21-2007, 06:54 PM
My Dad met Princess Diana back when he still had hair, my mother has met Tony Robinson (he's put on weight, apparently) and my sister has met several stars while working at Goodwood Motor Circuit, but I've never met anyone famous. Bah.

Lilith
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
I met the guy from What Not to Wear! He was cool and talked to me even though his security people were mad he was late :3 Also i commented on George R. R. Martin's journal and he actually responded, because I was talking about his old 'hood and everyone else was like "OMG BOOKS PLZ??"

Beldaran
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I disliked A Game of Thrones. It was really well written but I felt the plot was crap.

Gunslinger
03-22-2007, 01:23 AM
My aunt is good friends (since hs) with Jim Cramer, so I've talked to him at a few family-type events (aunt's 50th birthday comes to mind). He's pretty mild-mannered in person. He is VERY intelligent; you'd never think so from his show.

Some of you guys are proably familiar with famous poker players. I ran into Dan Harrington in the bathroom in the Borgata in Atlantic City during one a tournament circuit event. Also saw Phil Ivey and Men the Master. I didn't exchange any words with these guys, although it would've been different if I was playing with them.

Dechipher
03-22-2007, 01:35 AM
I met David Maslanka, who's like the biggest name in Percussion music right now. I also met John Riley, and got to play a concert with him two Saturday's ago. He's basically THE jazz drumset artist right now.

Starkist
03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
I've been to Major League Baseball games.

I saw President Clinton hiding in the wheel well of his tour bus when it drove through my town in 1996.

Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen came to my high school.

Been to a few music concerts.

That's about it, sadly.

goKi
03-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Some of you guys are proably familiar with famous poker players.

I've had poker related conversations with Joe Hachem and Lee Nelson before. My friend has had a brief chat with Gus Hansen.

Brasel
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I went to high school with the drummer for Misery Index, Adam Jarvis. Misery Index is made up of ex-members of Dying Fetus.

Aegix Drakan
03-22-2007, 09:06 AM
A few years back (like...5 years ago) I skated with the Montreal Canadians hockey team. It was some kind of "meet the team" publicity thingy...

And...that's pretty much it...

Pineconn
03-22-2007, 10:41 AM
The mom of a classmate of mine took Joe Nameth to the prom. I'm not kidding; she has his signature in her senior yearbook.

I, on the other hand, met the actual Bob Evans (if you don't know, he started a restaurant franchise in my area - Ohio). He even touched my shoulder. :p

Archibaldo
03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Once when I was in grade 10, I was an extra in a movie with David Duchovny
and he walked in to the area where all the extras were eating and I was sitting by the door and he was like 3 feet away from me. I was going to get up and meet him but I was too shy.

Also when I was in grade 10, I went on class trip to Toronto and our class was the audience for one of the Much On Demand episodes. While we were there the whole class met Matt Bable and the Devon guy who were hosting.

Note: the movie I was an extra in is called "The Secret", It's due out sometime 2007. If you ever go watch it I'm in three scenes. One where my brother and I run by in the back ground during the late morning and twice at night, one where I sitting on the guardrail of a bridge and one where I'm talking to two people on a bench.

Lilith
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, a lot of people didn't like it because they're used to being told who to punch first. Whereas, I consider black-and-white Star Wars/every fantasy series ever plots crap! less elves, less morals, more plot, more rape

Beldaran
03-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I only enjoy art with heroic and/or pesronally meaningful things that improve my mind, or my life, in some way. I think just telling a morally ambiguous story with protagonists that act reprehensibly one moment and not another, is just literary masturbation and I make no time for it with the precious little time I will get to be alive.

To me reading books like A Game of Thrones is no different than reading a fictional phone book that someone made up because it's just random, meaningless information about imaginary people. It does nothing for me.

Lilith
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I think you just out-Beldaraned yourself...

AtmaWeapon
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
His nerd level... it's OVER NINE THOUSAND!

Actually I don't think I've ever met anyone really famous... one time Walter Payton came to my school but that I was not told in advance and on that fateful day my mother asked me "Hey would you rather stay home from school today?" and I believe it is obvious what I chose.

The_Amaster
03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
George W. Bush drove through my town, and visited the local Italian Deli. I got about three feet from him, and said Hi, but about ten people were also saying hi, so I'm not sure if this counts.

Sam Atoms
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I met former Stanford and current Atlanta Hawks basketball star Josh Childress in a mall in Orange County, Calif.

Glenn the Great
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I've been to two of David Copperfield's magic shows.

I've also corresponded via E-Mail with Marc Laidlaw, author of Half-Life's storyline. He very politely declined to answer some questions I had for him.

Gunslinger
03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I've had poker related conversations with Joe Hachem and Lee Nelson before. My friend has had a brief chat with Gus Hansen.

That's so awesome. Joe Hachem is the only modern (2001-present) WSOP winner I respect. Greg Raymer seems like a good guy, but Hachem has been such a better ambassador for the game since his win.

Beldaran
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Marc Laidlaw, author of Half-Life's storyline.

yes, it must have taken a great deal of creativity and hard work to come up with:

"You are in a mysterious place and have no idea what the fuck is going on..."

and end with:

"You find yourself in a mysterious place, with no idea what the fuck is going on..."

Lilith
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
sounds like someone played too much myst

Pineconn
03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
But at least you get the library at the end of Myst. All your hard work demystifying the island, and you get some burnt books. Not a bad deal.

Glenn the Great
03-23-2007, 12:09 AM
sounds like someone played too much myst

The only people who hate Myst are those too dumb to beat it. *_^

Beldaran
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow, funny timing. Last night I got to meet Sir Harold Kroto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Kroto), the nobel prize winning chemist who discovered the Carbon-60 molecule, better known as a buckminsterfullerene, or "bucky ball".

It was a riveting lecture called "Science and Sustainibility" and afterwords I had him autograph my pamphlet, after which he inadvertently stole my pen.

Lilith
03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Actually it turned out the version of Myst I had was glitched something and that's why I couldn't figure out how to beat it :(((((((((((((((

Masamune
03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
You're not supposed to give the blokes in the books their pages. They escape, and then trap you inside and then you're SOL in a completely dark area. :(

moocow
03-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Bobaflex and X-Factor 1. They aren't super famous yet, and they may never be, but they're signed bands which makes them famous enough.

My mom talks to the guy who makes the Michael Myers masks for the Halloween movies. He sent us a Christmas card, even.

Oh, and I also personally know GD and D-Squad.

Sam Atoms
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
You're not supposed to give the blokes in the books their pages. They escape, and then trap you inside and then you're SOL in a completely dark area. :(

Well, you do have to give them all but one. Otherwise you won't know how to get to the ending.

The_Amaster
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, you do have to give them all but one. Otherwise you won't know how to get to the ending.
Yeah, but's it's a kinda nasty trick. The whole time you've been collecting these pages, thinking you need them all, and then it turns out you need thiswhite page, hidden somewhere else.

*sigh* Ah, I miss the old days, when I spent hours in front of my computer de-mystifing the world that it created for me.

I know Matt Groening by association. See, my Dad's editor was the guy who told Matt to stop drawing rabbits and start drawing people, which turned into the Simpsons. Never met him, tho.

redmage777
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I met Adam West once, it was a big deal at the time because I was a huge fan of Batman.

Orion
03-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Last Saturday I saw comdeian Al Franken in the St. Paul St. Patrick's Day parade. Other than that, I met Stacy from What not to Wear once. Really funny lady.

Dechipher
03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Chad Ginsburg of CKY is in my yearbook 3 times, because one of my friends was on staff and they all had pictures with him, so he's in nthere more than I am. I met Chris Adler of Lamb of God once, that was tight. He was just riding along on some golf cart at the Sounds of the Underground tour two summers ago.

moocow
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
lol.

I just met Wayne Newton's Aunt Judy like, an hour ago. GO ME.