PDA

View Full Version : A question about custom enemy dimensions

King Aquamentus
03-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I found that no matter what you enter for an enemy's dimensions, it will take the dimensions of it's enemy type.

Will the dimensions field be functional in 2.5? will you be able to create your own size enemies regardless of their enemy type (for example: having an enemy type Aquamentus that is 6 tiles wide and 4 tiles high)? If not, this is something I'd like to point out.

(in case anyone's wondering, I was trying to make a "Big Core" from Gradius.)

The_Amaster
03-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, this is somthing I keep mentioning. I really think we need it, because the biggest thing people are going to want to do with it is create custom bosses, and you need to have larger tiles.

_L_
03-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Y'know, looking at the code, it doesn't seem like "Width" and "Height" refer to the enemy's sprite at all...

Limzo
03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Please may it be possible to change the width and height of the actual enemies, and not the "tile area" they take up then?

The_Amaster
03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Y'know, looking at the code, it doesn't seem like "Width" and "Height" refer to the enemy's sprite at all...

Looking at the standard enemies, it seemed like the width and height were referrign to the block of space all of an enemies animation tiles took up.

I was just making an educated guess, though, I didn't really bother to check in that much depth.

CastChaos
03-20-2007, 07:35 AM
I remember now! Once when I was playing with the enemy editor I found that Width is the longevity of the row where the enemy tile resides and the Height is the number of rows. When "New enemy tiles" isn't checked, most enemies have 2 Width, when it's chacked, all enemies have 16 Width. However, as far as I know, it can't be manually changed, because the enemy simply won't show up.

If everything else fails, we can make big enemies by linking normal ones to each other. This would require the ability to add scripts to enemies ("enemy_script_*******"). Without scripting, it will be available only after 2.5, I guess. So, there would be "upper left" "upper right" "bottom left" and "bottom right" enemies with every one linked together. If "upper left" and "upper right" fires fireballs, then you have a two-headed Aquamentus.

Dark Nation
03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
The width and height are for the tile protection routines.