PDA

View Full Version : Very Serious Question

JaxFire
03-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Sidenote: It's strange... I've been a member for almost two years, I've been lurking on the forums fairly consistently, but I never posted... I'm slightly ashamed of myself.

Okay, what does it take to become a developer?
I took a class on Java programming, I finished the book about two weeks in, so I taught myself Basic (on my TI-84 graphing calculator) and I taught myself how to script using The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, any pointers on where to go from there?
I've been using ZClassic since around 1.90 made quite a few little quests and such, but I've never contributed to the community and I would like to.

*b*
03-12-2007, 04:05 AM
I know you have to be pretty-damn-good with C, but I'm not sure on specifics. One thing the developers seem to be looking for lately is talent with the new scripting features, so you might want to play around with that

CastChaos
03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
According to Koopa, 1 or 2 plus Devs would still be acceptable.

But how does one apply? My best guess is that if I want to be a Dev (most honorous position in Techno World) I need to create a complicated program/application and send it to all Devs with the asking to be Dev.

I'm currently learning HTML coding, maybe next year I learn offline programming, aka the C language... *dreams*

Dark Nation
03-12-2007, 08:49 AM
There is generally no application process. If we need devs, we'll ask, so keep your eyes on the forums. However, creating good scripts is a way to get our attention when and if we do start looking.

koopa
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Programming requirements would be some C++, knowledge of C-style memory management and such details can't hurt either. Being able to read messy code is a must :)
ZC uses the allegro game programming library so experience there can only help, so can being a regular on the AGN forums, and knowing your way around ZC and Zquest, including ZScript.