PDA

View Full Version : Most Ridiculous Gaming Achievements:

ShadowTiger
03-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Let's admit it. Some things in gaming are just a liiittle bit ridiculous. In TMC and TWW, to collect all of those figurines, ... bah. Childsplay compared to this:

I was having a conversation with a good friend last night. We were passing back and forth stories we saw / experienced / heard from Guild Wars, (As he was the person who got me into it, god bless 'im.) Guild Wars is divided into two time periods: The beginner Pre-Searing, and the "Rest of the game / Real Game" Post-Searing. In Pre-Searing, the highest level monster you'll ever find is a L10 boss, whereas the level cap for any character is L20. You can't gain XP from anything four or five levels below you, I think. ... That made what I keep seeing all the more dificult to believe. I'm now a Level eight Elementalist / Mesmer. Almost NOTHING I kill gives me any XP whatsoever. Obviously, this makes levelling up very frustrating, when you are left with by far the most difficult groups of enemies to battle as a last resort to gaining levels before you leave the tranquil, serene Pre-Searing world forevermore. (Until you start a new character, that is.) So anyway, there's this one area with enemies which are L5, (Easy Oakhearts.) and the nastiest enemies pre-searing you'll ever find, the Charr. They're L7-8, (Mostly 8.) and ALWAYS Travel in packs of three or four. If a group spots you, you have roughly twenty seconds to live, regardless of your level. Players have had to resort to using cheap tricks to killing these groups to gain XP, which they do.

So, while I'm struggling at level 8, I'm seeing people at level 13, .. even level 14, ... and damnit, I've seen a L15 character running around killing Charr for what may very well be ZERO XP. Seriously, WTF.

Now. There is an epic-level title you can gain in Pre-Searing, (Quite possibly the ONLY Title you can gain. .. And titles are no easy feat to get, rest assured. :rolleyes: ) which consists of reaching the maximum level before you even go to the post-searing world.

Now. How do you get to level 20 when at level fifteen there isn't a single creature that will give you any experience at all, and even the combined rewards from every single quest you can get won't get you past level 17?

I'll tell you, and you'll think me insane for it. It's quite possible, but very, very, very, very tedius.

You need to lure a group of enemies near a resurrection shrine, (Right across the long trek back to the entrance of the North lands.) and let these monster groups kill you over and over and over and over and over again so they gain XP. (Which, apparently, they do. I've never seen something like this before in any game, where enemies can gain levels.) When they gain enough levels, you can kill them to gain some degree of XP.

So if you did this enough, you can gain the "Savior Of Ascalon" title, or something like that, which basically translates to:

YOU HAVE NO LIFE

Pretty much.

:rolleyes:

The_Amaster
03-11-2007, 05:17 PM
He he he , that's tough. Not sure who here has played the game series Geneforge, but to gain acess to this one tomb in the first one, you have to get this stupid crescent rock. See, a random enemy in this one area has it, and the problem is that once you kill an enemy, it never returns, and theres no gaurentee that it's on one of them. So I have to save, kill them all, and if I don't get it, load my game and restart. I believe over the past few months Ive tried it over 100 fricken times Keep in mind there are about 25-30 enemies in the area, and I have to kill all of them

Beldaran
03-12-2007, 02:32 AM
YOU HAVE NO LIFE

I would say that applies to playing Guildwars in general.

DarkFlameWolf
03-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Or any massive multiplayer online game = no life. XD

ShadowTiger
03-12-2007, 09:03 AM
MMORPG_DEFENSE_MODE_1] ... Eh. ... It occupies my weekends, save for Sunday. I would've been gaming regardless. It's just a different game. :p I'd say that it's the effort involved. Note the difference between trying to reach L8 in a L8-intended area and trying to reach the maximum attainable area when the designers hadn't even placed the appropriate enemies in the same area to let you reach such a level. While we're at it, note the level of devotion that a $15 per month subscription fee would buy you in terms of happiness earned as a result of the time you feel you must spend within the game to earn that money back as happiness.

So yeah, I'd generally shy away from most any MMORPG, even the free ones like Flyff or SE, but Guild Wars really has everything I'm looking for in a game. Instantiated areas are (FOR ME.) a really nice haven in a game.

I'd also say that anyone trying to get all of their Pokemon up to L100 is going a little far with it. Certainly possible, but ... why. Eh, it's an investment in ... something only they can realize. Let 'em be, I say.

Tygore
03-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd also say that anyone trying to get all of their Pokemon up to L100 is going a little far with it. Certainly possible, but ... why. Eh, it's an investment in ... something only they can realize. Let 'em be, I say.

You want level 100 Pokemon for the feeling of accomplishment, for the obvious advantage in linked battles, and because level 100 Pokemon take better advantage of good EV spreads (for the Tower/Fronteir). And speaking as someone with multiple level 100s, it's not THAT hard. The revisited Elite Four's Pokemon in Leaf Green go all the way up to the mid 70s (I forget if anything hits 80, but I don't think so).

ZTC
03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
He he he , that's tough. Not sure who here has played the game series Geneforge, but to gain acess to this one tomb in the first one, you have to get this stupid crescent rock. See, a random enemy in this one area has it, and the problem is that once you kill an enemy, it never returns, and theres no gaurentee that it's on one of them. So I have to save, kill them all, and if I don't get it, load my game and restart. I believe over the past few months Ive tried it over 100 fricken times Keep in mind there are about 25-30 enemies in the area, and I have to kill all of them
It's been awhile since I've played that one, but what area? That game was a challenge in itself, and the two sequels have outdone themselves. As already stated, the enemies disappear for good once they're killed; unless there's a spawner on that screen...(which can make it a bit difficult at times to level up) When there's like 4-5 spawners, and you stumble upon a nest of em, there's usually a pack of monsters there waiting to kill you.

Now for something moar of a challenge, play Exile 2, that's really hardcore oldschool rpg-ing. To have conversation with other people, first you have to press the button/key to talk, then type in key words to get information. It's one where you have to take notes in order to get through the game. Later on in the game, the dungeons and caves get exceddingly difficult, and sometimes near impossible. All six characters are in their mid 40s and the final fortress is a challenge in it self. First you get locked in there, then you have to navagate through a very nasty maze, and in the room before the throne room, there's about 20 demons with the room being filled with blades that attack you every time you move. Once at the throne room, there's about 8 of the highest level monsters of the game, along with the final boss Garzhad. If I remember right, he has 1500 HP and 800 MP. My characters have around 100 HP and 50 MP each. I have yet to beat him to this day. =/

Glenn the Great
03-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Or any massive multiplayer online game = no life. XD

Hey, it isn't so bad when you are playing with friends. I have 8 real life friends who I play WoW with, and it is a very fun game and generates a lot of conversation.

I'd say that people who spend way too much time with an MMO are the ones with no lives. You can have a life and play a moderate amount of an MMO, as many people I know do, as these games have become more mainstream.

vegeta1215
03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
You think getting all the figurines in Wind Waker and The Minish Cap is tough, try getting all the figurines, item checklists, recipes, titles, costumes, etc in Tales of Symphonia.

I haven't done that, but anyone who has spent the time doing so - you are crazy! Get a life!

Glenn the Great
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
The only legitimate reason I have anymore to collect crap like that in a game is if it unlocks a true final boss that must be killed to bring closure to the story.

DKC2 and 3 are good examples of this being done in a game.

The_Amaster
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Exile 2,
Exile 2? Dodn't that series get remade into the Avernum games. Or is it a different series.

Yeah, I don't have the patiance to get my Pokemon to level 100. I can't just wander and mindlessly train for hours on end, even facing the Elite 4 over and over. Usually I peak somewhere around level 52. Which is sad.

DarkFlameWolf
03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I got all recipes +maxing out stars for each character on each recipe, all titles and all costumes. It reallty isn't that hard. the others...no, But I am close on figurines

beefster09
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Ridiculous thing:
Getting triple stars on all Mario Kart DS missions. My friend did that. That just takes ridiculous skill and patience that I don't have.

Ridiculous stuff I have done:
Getting all super emeralds in S3&K for every character. Not hard, really. Just time-consuming!
All treasures in Pikmin 2! Not hard as well. Just annoying once you get to the Gatling Groinks and Spotty Bulbears.

Yes, I admit to being a pretty much life-less nerd. I just don't want to spend time on things that I deem don't matter.

Pineconn
03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Ah, come on. I got all the figurines in TMC twice and in TWW once and it was kind of fun. ......Well, it was more of a pain in TMC since you had to get all those shells. So TWW was kind of fun. Well, there was all the sailing around...

Yeah, I don't see how some people train their Pokémon up to Lv. 100. I hate training them for only 3 or 4 levels before a gym leader battle... and maxing them out after the Elite Four would just about kill me. Which is why I don't do it.

Orion
03-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I'd have to agree with Glenn, I don't like going out of my way to collect everything in a game if there's little or no reward for doing so.

Examples where I went the extra mile:
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario World
Zelda: MM (just the notebook though)
Starfox 64

Examples where it's not worth it:
Any FF (what's the point of Level 100 if you've already beaten the game?)
Any Zelda (and exactly what does collecting every skulltula or golden bug do?)

Developers need to spend a little more time giving me some incentive to spend the extra time with the game by giving me some worthwhile unlockables.

Darth Marsden
03-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Getting all super emeralds in S3&K for every character. Not hard, really. Just time-consuming!
Hey, I've done that. Repeatedly. What's really sad is that I can go through the entire game without losing a life. Seriously. Try me.

Killing every Gold Skulltula is Ocarina of Time fills your wallet, and every time you talk to the big guy afterwards, he gives you 200 rupees. Not really worth it, really.

Generally the only things I care about are the extra hearts/health - they're actually useful and come in bloody handy. Anything else needs a damn good reason to keep me at them.

Pineconn
03-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Self-achievement. :sweat:

That's really the only reason I find/collect everything in games, just to have a full game file and to say that I did it. But the latter reason really is kind of minuscule, as I never tell anyone I did it...

vegeta1215
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
As long as getting the extra stuff isn't tedious and boring, I'll do it. Like beefster09, I got all the Super Emeralds in S3&K for each character, which was fun cause they each challenged you in a different way. And getting all the treasures in Pikmin 2 was really fun :) I wouldn't call those ridiculous.

The_Amaster
03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Oh, yeah, the Super Emeralds. He, it was a lot of work, but it was worth it for Super Tails.

Glenn the Great
03-13-2007, 07:55 PM
The Emerald business isn't really that hard. I got to where I knew where the secret stages were, and found the fastest way to hit them all. I could get all the emeralds for a character in probably no more than an hour, or two at the most. A great trick there is to just quickly run to the first special stage, win it, then reset and go in again, wash and repeat.

There was a reset exploit in Sonic 2 that would let you keep your emeralds when you reset the game, so you could keep using the first mid-post over and over, and thus be able to go super throughout the whole game.

The_Amaster
03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
It's been a while, but if I recall, in S3&K, didn't you have to wait until you beat the game so you could use stage select to go to Mushroom Hill multiple times and hit the Emerald Room?

Eh, I never got more than two or three emeralds in 2. Not because I couldn't beat the stage, but because my reckless playing style hardly ever left me with 50 rings.

Pineconn
03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Ah yes, the Sonic series for the Genesis. I must play them again. And of course, I would get all the Emeralds. :tongue: Just because I'm like that.

Dupl!cate
03-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Sonic the hedgehog! I played those games nonstop when I was a kid. I always haited tails, gay little loser. Riding Sonic's coatTAILS.

Glenn the Great
03-14-2007, 07:01 AM
It's been a while, but if I recall, in S3&K, didn't you have to wait until you beat the game so you could use stage select to go to Mushroom Hill multiple times and hit the Emerald Room?

Eh, I never got more than two or three emeralds in 2. Not because I couldn't beat the stage, but because my reckless playing style hardly ever left me with 50 rings.

I believe that once you beat a zone in that game, you can go back to it, even if you haven't finished the game. What is true, however, is that you can't access the second round of special stages until you reach Mushroom Hill. But once you make it that far, you can go back to Angel Island and the bonus stage rings will be multi-colored.

Maybe I'm mistaken about going back to previous levels before beating the game. Either way, the game is very easy, and doesn't take too long to complete. Even when I go back to the game after several years of not playing, I still have no problem finishing it without dying.

Darth Marsden
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Once you've completed the game, you can access any of the levels. Not only is this handy if you just feel like playing Doomsday again, it also means you can go right back to the first level and whizz through as Hyper Sonic. (Why they called them Super Emeralds instead of Hyper Emeralds I'll never know. Hyper sounds so much cooler)

As far as I'm aware, you can only access the levels once you've beaten the game, as opposed to after you've finished the level. Let me double-check. EDIT: Yeah. Took me 5 minutes to whizz through Angel Island to confirm it, but you do need to finish the game to unlock the level select.

ZTC
03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Exile 2? Dodn't that series get remade into the Avernum games. Or is it a different series.

yeah, it was remade into the Avernum series. It was a bit less of a challenge to play through the first chapter. I should see if I can find my save files and get that game registered.

I also remember in S3&K, that I managed to get (if i remember correctly) 5 of the Super Emeralds by the time I started Flying Battery Zone. Getting the Emeralds in Sonic 2 was harder imo.

mrz84
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Getting as many quests in Romacnig Saga per play through. So far, I have all of them that all the characters can do. The only ones are The Sif and Gray only quests. I'm on my 3rd playthorugh. And Yes. Someone DOES play these games. That'd be me. Because I'd be bored otherwise. And surprisingly it doesn't suck as much as critics have said. I've played through as Claudia and Jamil and currently I'm nearing the end of Albert. If anything, I love beating up Saruin's minions. :kitty:

redmage777
03-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Final Fantasy VII, Getting a full set of Master Summon, Master Magic, and Master Skill materia beats getting Lvl. 99 charaters any day. The Golden Chocobo felt pointless as as well, but it is required if you want to get all the summon materia...

Star Ocean 2 gave you a good reason to get to Max out, There is a way the final boss could be rampped up to near-impossable, and then required carefull planning even at the highest levels with the best equipment. There was no way to beat him unless you completed the cave of trials.