PDA

View Full Version : A little help with avoiding death...

Brassenaurian
03-10-2007, 06:21 AM
This is probably going to sound rather pathetic to most people: But I'm continually being killed by a water monster (I can't remember the names of the different monsters to save my very life!) in the first section of the game. We're talking: Before level one. Yes, this is very, very sad. And yes, I already downloaded a walkthrough and it didn't help. So what I was wondering is: could somebody give me a tip on how to avoid getting fried by the stupid thing? I've been sitting here replaying the level and getting killed in the exact same spot for about four hours now. Where I am is about four or five screens to the right of the starting point. I have the wooden sword, and I can easily take out all the nasties before this point. It's right after the second "rocky" screen of blue spider...things; you hit water and as soon as I walk onto that screen two things happen almost at once:

1) the thing in the water starts shooting at me, and almost always hits me because,
2) These redish things pop up out of the ground right in front of me and sort of trap me. If I try to get out of the way of the fireball that's flying at me I run into them; and if I just take the hit they come after me.

I can never seem to manage to hold them all off, mainly because of the dang thing in the water shooting at me. Is there some kind of trick to this?

Thanks in advance,
Brassenaurian

Majora
03-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Relax, no one is supposed to be a God when it comes to video games. But here is a trick:

When you get to the screen with the Zola (water guy) and the Leevers (red things) start popping out, keep slashing the leevers. When you switch that screen where you are stuck, keep walking to the right, and as soon as you see the leevers digging out, slash them!

Hoped that helped, and enjoy your stay at the forums:)

Brassenaurian
03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks, that does help. Avoid the fireballs (I wonder why a WATER monster throws FIRE balls....), and keep poking the leevers. BTW, is there any way to kill the stupid zola, because there are a couple of them in different places that are giving me headaches.....Things would be a lot better for poor Link if I could figure out how to kill them, but like the leevers, they just seem to go away for a couple of seconds when I slash them. Do they take a certain number of hits? Are they un-killable when you've only got a wooden sword? Or are there just a LOT more of the dang things than I had thought?

Also, I've picked up these things which I believe to be bombs. However, I can't figure out how to set them off. I put them down, and then they just sit there. I whacked one with my sword and it went off then; trouble is, it blew me to Bermuda along with the wall. Is there any way to set the things off WITHOUT blowing myself up??

Thanks a lot!

Din
03-10-2007, 06:22 PM
The bomb has a timer. You should run away as fast as you can, and the bombs will blow up, it has nothing to do with the sword.

Majora
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
is there any way to kill the stupid zola, because there are

Also, I've picked up these things which I believe to be bombs. Is there any way to set the things off WITHOUT blowing myself up??

To kill a zola with the wooden sword is a bit tough, because they need i believe 2 or 3 hits. Problem is, when they go under water again, the next one that comes up has its HP reset. A Leever's HP however, remains and they take 2 hits. Which game are you playing? Because there is a quest rule that says "Bombs Hurt Link" and another that says something like "Increase bomb timer" wich doubles the time it takes for bombs to blow up.

The only trick I know of that works for me, is to place a bomb next to a zola, and run like hell. hopefully, the Zola will be within the blast radius and you won't. With the magic shield, you can stand right right next to where a zola is (facing it) and land enough hits to kill it.

erm2003
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
The other problem with Zolas, they reset when you re-enter the screen. Killing them when you are with just the wooden sword is probably going to be difficult unless one appears right by you and you can get two quick hits in.

Another suggestion, if you are really getting beat bad by them then avoid the waters and find a shop that sells the Magic Shield. This item can block the fireballs from Zolas and statues in dungeons. That may help you get through some of those areas until you get more powerful items or more heart containers.

Brassenaurian
03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Which game are you playing? Because there is a quest rule that says "Bombs Hurt Link" and another that says something like "Increase bomb timer" wich doubles the time it takes for bombs to blow up.

I'm playing the Classic game, first quest. I think there may be some kind of glitch. I dropped a bomb in an area that I had already cleared (so that I wouldn't have to dodge monsters while testing the bomb) and waited for over five minutes. The thing just sat there. Eventually I just said to hell with it and ran off to attempt to get past the bloody Zolas.

And as for the fact that they come up again with their HP reset; That has got to be one of the most EVIL things ever. Oi vey. It's like the AI's goddmoding or something......

A wooden sword does NOT seem to be the way to rescue a princess. I'm trying to get enough hearts to be able to wield the white sword (I understand you need five). Until then, I guess I'll just have to get myself a magic shield and/or run like hell when I see one of these nasties. I'm actually getting pretty good at running for my life by this point....I can't seem to kill anything that's faster than a Tektite (those are the spider things, right?), and Leevers and Zolas are WAY faster than the orange Tektites simply because they can go underground/underwater and come up on the other side of the screen.

*glances at game* Wow. According to the walkthrough (which I'm only using because I have a tendency to get hopelessly lost without a map, I forget the names of the critters, and I can't always figure out where I'm supposed to be going. Why do I love video games so much???), I'm still before level one. Oh gods....I dread to think how many times I'm gonna die before level five. And I dread to think how long it's gonna take me to rescue Zelda....Really, she may have to find a new hero........

Still, I love this game so, so, SO much even though I'm getting PWNED. I don't understand _why_ getting my a$$ kicked by an 80's video game clone is so addicting, but it is! Thanks to everyone who's helping me hold my own, I need all the hints and tips I can get! *grin*

LinkMaster500
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Trying to kill the Zoras isn't worth it, so I would try to dodge the fireballs for now--especially since they take away one heart when you get hit.

Majora
03-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Just to avoid confusion:

A Zola is A Zora who has gone rogue

Zola = Rogue Zora

And the names of the monsters:

Octorok: The red/blue things that shoot rocks at you

Moblin: The things in the woods that throw spears at you

Tekitites: The spiders

Peahats: the little helicopter-like plants that fly around

Zola/Zora: The water guys

Leevers: Pop out of the ground

these are overworld monsters. Have fun in the dungeons! ;)

erm2003
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm going to bet that the Zola and Zora were always the same thing, it was just translated differently with that whole L and R thing.

The_Amaster
03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, but story wise, Zola and Zoras have to be seperate, as Zolas try to kill you, and Zoras are an intelligent and peacefull race.

Sam Atoms
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Anyone else concerned with the fact that this guy is mentioning that when he puts down bombs they just sit there? That is most certainly not supposed to happen.

I think you may have one of those buggy beta versions. Go up to the sticky threads up top and find version 2.10 or before. Then it should play normal, although I've never actually played 1st.qst in ZC so I'm not totally sure.

bluedeath
03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Hey, private msg me if you want some good puzzles, and i'll also help you with plenty of stuff.

Nimono
03-16-2007, 06:28 PM
You're looking for level 1, right? Then why are you going east? It's to the north, silly. From the cave with the guy who gives you the Wooden Sword, go right one screen, then north until you see a bridge going left. Go across the bridge, and there it is. ;)