PDA

View Full Version : Item got message

CastChaos
03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Currently all messages disappear upon getting items.
However, there should be an "item got message" like in LttP and up.

This could be a screen data option:
-Screen flag: "Item got message activated"
-Ability to choose a message
Screen flag "Hold up item" needs to be checked.

OR it can be item dependant in the item editor:
-Item got text (choose one from the messages)

I know that it already can be done with warps, but this way no need to sacrifice warps and the "Item got" fanfare. It would be so so great.
(I promise to stop suggesting soon)

Limzo
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
You're a genious.

*demands of _L_*

*DEMANDZ!*

The_Amaster
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Thirded. Hopefully won't be that hard to implement.

cbailey78
03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Fourthed. I hope it gets implemented in 2.5!

CastChaos
03-07-2007, 04:13 AM
Last night I dreamed that _L_ comes and says three times: "Will be implemented.". And now there are 3 users supporting the implementation. Let my Ice Wand transform into a Fire Rod if magic doesn't exist...

Anyway, this would be very important because custom items, too... You need to tell somehow that which item does what...

ShadowTiger
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Perhaps, if this doesn't get implemented, at least, the other custom subscreen elements (Namely, renaming items.) will be implemented, so you can get a nice description of the item in the subscreen for the item you select. ^.^

Revfan9
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, you can have an "Item Get" MIDI as well as an item message if you fake it... (however, it'll only work for the "Important" items...)

Put warps surrounding the item. Make them lead to another screen.

On this new screen, hide Link under layer 3, leaving only 3 tiles walkable: The one Link arrives on, one that has the actual item on it, and one that warps Link out of there. On this screen, put a screen-specific MIDI (or just make it on another Dmap in 2.10-) of your choice of "Item Get!" music (I used the Title Screen theme from Terranigma), as well as a string, such as "You got the Cane of Byrna! This Pagan ritual tool can be used to give Link a magical barrier!".

Because the String won't let Link walk until it's done, all Link has to do is walk down to get the item and warp away...

EDIT: Oh, so you do know how to do it with warps. But still, it only uses 1 friggin screen out of 32640 others you have to work with. Adding an item got message could completely break strings, completely break items, or even bugs could show up that I couldn't imagine right now.

_L_
03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Last night I dreamed that _L_ comes and says three times: "Will be implemented.". And now there are 3 users supporting the implementation.Look, I'll get to it once I add the "edibility" flag, okay?

My recent string alterations are designed to allow strings to be displayed on command. As long as you use the quest rule "Messages Freeze All Action" to stop enemies from moving while a message is being displayed, and "Messages Disappear" to make the message vanish after it's been typed out, things should be fine.

CastChaos
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
EDIT: Oh, so you do know how to do it with warps. But still, it only uses 1 friggin screen out of 32640 others you have to work with. Adding an item got message could completely break strings, completely break items, or even bugs could show up that I couldn't imagine right now.

Yes, but it will never have LttP feeling this way. Or maybe if I do EXACTLY what you said. Still, your trick version takes 5-10 mins for me and 1 min for somebody with talent, while my suggestion reduces it to 1 min for me and half min for somebody with talent.

Look, I'll get to it once I add the "edibility" flag, okay?

My recent string alterations are designed to allow strings to be displayed on command. As long as you use the quest rule "Messages Freeze All Action" to stop enemies from moving while a message is being displayed, and "Messages Disappear" to make the message vanish after it's been typed out, things should be fine.

Okay, take your time. Of course I will always use the "Message disappear" and the "Messages freeze all action" quest rules. They are fantastic inventions.