PDA

View Full Version : Emo Discussion

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-26-2007, 12:03 AM
I came across this discussion (http://www.absforums.com/?showtopic=12775) over at Albino Blacksheep. The offensive video can be found here (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/emosymphony).

I was just wondering what you folks thought about all this. I don't know if we have any real emo's on this board, and I'm interested to see if any of you will come to the defense of these poor young boys.

AtmaWeapon
02-26-2007, 03:17 AM
I'm not even going to get into some kind of real argument about this. For some reason when I first heard about it I associated it with the band Weezer and their attitude -- a kind of "Hey you guys go bang cheerleaders that's fine I'm playing Duck Hunt" thing where you know you are a nerd and you just be you and then G.I. Joe tells you that knowing is half the battle.

Now when I bump into "Emo" kids on the internet I see some kind of half-goth attention whore. Just like today's goth they are so obsessed with doing everything so different from everyone else and making sure that everyone knows how miserable their life is that they cause a self-fulfilling prophecy. Emo acts the way it does because "everyone rejected them" but everyone rejects them for the way they act. It's a culture based on rejection of normalcy and non-conformism that fuels its hatred for outsiders via conformance.

Seriously, the major rule of socialization I have found is this:
You will either change your life so that others accept you or you will decide you value your individuality more than group membership. There is no compromise that will leave you happy.

So I'm not going to discuss the discussion because that's kind of meta and not what the forums are here for but I think the dudes that whined about the emo cartoon need to get a life because honestly there's lots of more offensive stuff to emos out there but I think I'm getting kind of close to trolling I'm pretty tired right now and judgement is kind of poor.

Visual Aids
Here I made a flowchart to illustrate my point:
http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/AGN/emoflowchart.png

also this is the kind of kid I'm talking about not liking: click here web 2.03 (http://emosong.ytmnd.com)

Appendix A
Seriously it was a pretty ok cartoon I don't really understand what the big deal was :confused:

Appendix B
Actually I know an emo dude in real life and he's pretty :cool: except my Converses are dirtier than his. I like the clothes and fashion and all (he looks like he's from Weezer it's pretty surreal) but never really got into it because somewhere in highschool I realized that I was trying to be as different as possible and that not only were people making fun of me but I wasn't enjoying my life so I started having a good time and what do you know I made friends.

The End.

redmage777
02-26-2007, 03:27 AM
The Kids who want to express their individuality do it by acting and dressing like all the other kids who express their individuality. I never really "Got" the whole Clique thing when I was in school. I was who I was and never made any effort to conform or reject conformity (which often times ends up being nothing more then a different conformity.) Go figure.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-26-2007, 09:26 AM
So I'm not going to discuss the discussion because that's kind of meta and not what the forums are here for but I think the dudes that whined about the emo cartoon need to get a life because honestly there's lots of more offensive stuff to emos out there but I think I'm getting kind of close to trolling I'm pretty tired right now and judgement is kind of poor.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the forums are for. If we only discussed things that were original and not discussed anywhere else, AGN wouldn't exist. Or, it certainly wouldn't have a General Discussion forum.

Everything else you said, though, was spot on. Still, I was hoping to hear from a real, live emo about this one. I honestly don't think I've ever met one. It's like the Coelacanth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth). I mean, I've heard that they exist, but...

AtmaWeapon
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the forums are for. If we only discussed things that were original and not discussed anywhere else, AGN wouldn't exist. Or, it certainly wouldn't have a General Discussion forum.

Everything else you said, though, was spot on. Still, I was hoping to hear from a real, live emo about this one. I honestly don't think I've ever met one. It's like the Coelacanth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth). I mean, I've heard that they exist, but...Well what I mean is the forums are for discussion, but when you start discussing discussion you get more tied up in the politics and culture of another forum and it puts people that don't go to the other forum at a disadvantage. For example, if AlbinoBlackSheep were some kind of emo holy land I'd say that the cartoon was funny but in bad taste and yeah remove it, but since it's just a general humor site I say "Why don't you go cut yourself about it you sack of sadness?".

If I see the emo dude next weekend I'll ask him what he thinks but I'm pretty sure his response will be to look at me confused and say something along the lines of "Why are you asking me this when did I say I was emo?". I guess it's because it's kind of a state of mind, not a group membership thing, when done right.

Tygore
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
The Kids who want to express their individuality do it by acting and dressing like all the other kids who express their individuality. I never really "Got" the whole Clique thing when I was in school. I was who I was and never made any effort to conform or reject conformity (which often times ends up being nothing more then a different conformity.) Go figure.

I agree with you 100%. It seems like the ones who screamed "Reject Conformity!" were the most conformist of all. My High School was never all that cliquey as far as the stereotypical "groups" went, mostly because we were so small. Still, there was a little bit of that, and I never bothered to get involved.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Well what I mean is the forums are for discussion, but when you start discussing discussion you get more tied up in the politics and culture of another forum and it puts people that don't go to the other forum at a disadvantage.

I don't generally read any other forum except AGN. This particular thread was posted on the front page of the regular site. I felt the same about clicking the link and reading it as I would if it were linking to CNN.

I agree with Tygore: most groups that scream about non-conformity are actually the very nature of conformity. After all, isn't conformity, in a basic sense, simply identifying yourself with a group? By becoming a non-conformist, aren't you just conforming to a different way of living?