PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Clowns Shot To Death

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-22-2007, 05:27 PM
BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) -- Two clowns were shot and killed by an unidentified gunman during their performance at a traveling circus in the eastern Colombian town of Cucuta, police said Wednesday.

The gunman burst into the Circo del Sol de Cali on Monday night and shot the clowns in front of an audience of 20 to 50 people, local police chief Jose Humberto Henao told Reuters.

One of the clowns was killed instantly, and the second died the next day in hospital.

"The killings had nothing to do with the show the victims were performing at the time of the incident," Henao said in a telephone interview. "We are investigating the motive."

With an entrance fee of under 50 cents, Circo del Sol de Cali attracts mostly poor Colombians. It pitched its tents in Cucuta, near the border with Venezuela, earlier this month.

"The clowns came out to give their show, and then this guy came out shooting them," one audience member told local television. "It was terrible."

Why would anyone want to kill a clown? I mean, maybe the guy owed him some drug money or something, but if you're a clown making fifty cent admissions of less than a hundred people, even in a poor country, why would you blow it on drugs? Besides, aren't most columbian drugs shipped directly to the U.S?

Plissken
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Hmm maybe he just didn't like clowns or was traumatized by one when he was little or something? I don't know but thats pretty sad.

Darth Marsden
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought you were joking when I saw the title. Sadly, you were not. That makes me sad. :(

For some reason that scene from Octopussy where Roger Moore is disguised as a clown keeps popping into my head. I'm a bad person.

Masamune
02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Could you post a link to the article? I'd like to use it for a current event assignment.

The_Amaster
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't like clowns, because I find them creepy, but I love the idea of clowns as an abstraction, of happy whimsicle people, and this just makes me....sad....why would anyone want to kill a clown?

Prrkitty
02-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Masa, I saw an article on cnn.com about this earlier today. But now I can't find the article. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll edit this and post the URL...

:)

EDIT: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/02/21/colombia.clowns.reut/index.html

There ya go hon :)

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Could you post a link to the article? I'd like to use it for a current event assignment.

Oops. Sorry. I can't believe I forgot to do that.

And Darth, I doubt these guys were disarming a nuclear bomb at the time of their deaths. :rolleyes:

mrz84
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
That's pretty tragic. And they don't even know why he did it either! It may be for money or whatever like it's been said, but does it really matter? Two people are dead and now we mourn them. Or hate them depending on hte person's point of view.

Masamune
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Thank you much. :)

ZTC
02-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I 'wtfd' when I saw the title, and still wondering why he would shoot those clowns. Pretty sad really =/

erm2003
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I know people who are scared of clowns to the point where they can't even look at them. I don't know how anyone could really be violent toward them though. I am thinking there is a lot more to this story than what we know from the news story.

Someone had to be on drugs here, and drugs are bad, m'kay?