PDA

View Full Version : A Guild Wars Discussion.

ShadowTiger
02-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I had to heavily edit the beginning of this post, as it's a copy/paste from somewhere which contains information initially relevant to that site alone, so it's going to sound hastily rushed-into. Ignore and continue, etc.

I just purchased an online registration key for $29.99, after already having the game, (A friend lent me his discs to install the game onto my PC, as well as letting me use one slot in his four-slot character list, as he wasn't playing at the time. You don't need the disc to play, but only one person can be playing on any account at one time.) and I'm looking forward to playing on my own account.

The system specs aren't that high, believe it or not. The "Recommended" System specs are about 512 MB Ram, PIV 1.0 GHZ Processor, 64 MB Video Card, etc. Even on less than double, It ran like a dream. Perfect framerates at all times. The updates can be daunting though, I think. I once stopped playing for half a year, I think, and when I started playing again, I had about 7,644 files waiting to download. ... Eep. It was alright though. Nothing to murder someone over.

Basically, several key reasons to play Guild Wars over anything else:

1) NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES. Seriously. You buy the box / account, (Either or. The box includes the account, or you can download the game for free, then buy the account online for the same price.) After that, you never pay anything ever again, except for a $9.99 charge for each additional character slot you'd like. You start with four though, so that's no problem. You get two extra slots with each new expansion you buy. (There are two expansions currently out: Factions, and Nightfall.) So getting those two as well brings you up to four.
2) Instantiated Action Areas. In games like WoW, you have to spawncamp to get a kill on the best creatures to level up, and compete with everyone else for all the good items. In Guild Wars, when you leave towns, you get your OWN version of the world to adventure in. Nobody else (Except anyone you party with or hire.) comes with you into that area. It's the same area for everyone, (Though very, very, very few things (Quests.) depend on the character you're playing.) So basically, once you leave town, ... it's all you babe! :P Go nuts! :kawaii:
3) You can play each expansion without owning Guild Wars. I hear that even if you don't own Prophecies, (The original.) you can still venture forth into the world of Prophecies from either of the two expansions. I still bought Prophecies though, as it's what I'm most used to. It's really up to you. Freedom to play is nice, certainly.
4) You can reassign your skill points in town. Not sure about skill points though.

... Yeah. Try Guild Wars. :P I don't play many MMORPG's, nor do I like the concept of "Massively Multiplayer." Guild Wars seems to be right up my alley though, and I never, ever thought it would be. Go figure.

EDIT: Read this Thread (http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10102502) for a wonderful explanation of Guild Wars, including what to get.

AlexMax
02-23-2007, 08:17 AM
I've been playing Guild Wars on and off since a few months after release. It's a great game, but it's kind of hard to get into. PvE, while better than...say...World of Warcraft's PvE, gets boring and repetative after a while, and PvP is hard to break into due to the sheer amount of shit that you need to unlock to be competative unless you're noobing it up in Alliance Battles or something.

Also, I guess this goes without saying, but because there is no monthly fee, there is a good portion of the userbase which is dumb as fucking dirt, and this stupidity also extends to a lesser extent to some of the staff as well (Gaile Gray, while not exactly stupid, looks like a horse (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Image:Gaile_Gray.jpg) and that's enough for me). Find a guild with people you like and do at least some casual PvPing in halls or something and you should be AOK.

Good luck getting anyone here to play it though.

Fake Edit: Also, Prince Rurik fucking rocks your face off. Ditto for Little Thorn and Koss from Nightfall.