PDA

View Full Version : This is getting rediculous...

MasterSwordUltima
02-18-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.shoutwire.com/comments/3915/Jack_Thompson_Offends_Everyone_Again

So I checked out Metalgearsolid.org today because I like to check out info about Metal Gear Online and grab some music here and there. So a little while ago, a member of their forum sadly commited suicide, and the press ripped this the hell apart, making up so much bullshit that never happened.

In the mess of things, Metalgearsolid.org has been closed down because of how the press changed the story. To top it all off, however, the [sorta] famous anti-gaming campaigner Jack Thompson has sent a letter to the owners of metalgearsolid.org. This may make you want to pick up a gun.

The letter reads:

"Your "gamer friend" will find peace through the Lord, Jesus Christ, but sadly it's too late for that.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games. The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

The real tragedy here extends beyond the life and death of this one fellow. There are literally millions of young people and young adults whose despair is deepend by turning to the things of this world and then finding them meaningless.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

Sad. Sad for all of you."

I think its pathetic of how now he's gone down to the level of pure idiot, mocking a gamer's suicide and using that to fuel his trail.

Cloral
02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
That's just awful. If I was God, I would be very unhappy with someone using my name like this.

The_Amaster
02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Jeez. Of course, I forgot, even pong is filled with satanic urges from hell. And I know I'm damned for all eternity by playing pac-man.

Okay, in all seriousness, while I myself don't enjoy violent games, I do have a hard time believing that these games somehow "inspire" violence, and/or depression, except in rare cases like those boys who shot up their school based on Grand Theft Auto, or whatever. And in cases like that, the people are already nut-jobs anyway.

MasterSwordUltima
02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
In those GTA mock-ups, I think it was more the desire of thuggery than anything. This just pisses me off. They claim the guy went on his webcam and killed himself, total bullshit. I just get off of MGO to checkout mgs.org and its down, so I google around, and I find all this. Pisses me off.

AlexMax
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
This may make you want to pick up a gun.

Irony.

redmage777
02-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Jack Thompson gives Christians a bad name. Yes there are greater things in life then Video Games, but some of the things he has said are down right childish and insensitive. It sounds as if his goal is more to insult people who enjoy video games then it is to save anyone's soul. A lot of his supporters have abandoned him thanks to all this crap he's been saying.

I personally shy away from putting human enemys in my game designs, because I agree with some of his points, but I don't agree with the way he behaves, or the way he treats people who disagree with him.

Its a sad loss for the forum member's family and freinds, and there is really nothing I can say that would make anyone feel better, I just think its a shame that a Jerk like Jack Thompson had to get involved.

Lotus_Eater
02-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Anyone have Jack Thompson's email addy? I'd like to exchange some friendly Christian discussion with him. And a virus . . . no, that would be wrong, funny, but wrong.

I feel bad for your loss for those who knew this person.

Pineconn
02-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Jack Thompson gives Christians a bad name.

Actually, Jack Thompson gives humans a bad name. Someone should deport him to Iraq. He'd fit right in.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Jack Thompson gives Christians a bad name. Yes there are greater things in life then Video Games, but some of the things he has said are down right childish and insensitive.

Beyond saying things that are childish and insensitive, Yack is spouting things that are completely unchristian. Apart from all the hate, he speaks as if playing video games will condemn you to hell, which completely contradicts faith based salvation. It's like he doesn't even know what he's talking about.

It's unfortunate that many of the most recognizeable figures in christianity do harm to it, but at least some of them aren't as completely damaging, or are at least entertaining. Thank God he doesn't take his uninformed faith too far into his quest. I get shivers down my spine, imagining him becoming some sort of hybrid with Pat Robertson.

Yack: "Someone... someone is afflicted with the gaming disease. It's made you ugly, anti-social, and stupid. Right now, you're being healed. Rise up, and be healed by the power of God. Your electricity is being cut of, in Jesus name! Amen."

God have mercy on us all.

Gerudo
02-19-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm not trying to be insensitive or defend that maniacal dipshit, but all dates on this story are from just over a year ago.

we all know jack thompson is a raging moron, but bringing something up from a while back doesn't quite make sense to me.

not surprisingly, the last archive of MGO according to the Wayback Machine is May 19, 2006.

Pineconn
02-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Lol.

ZaWolven posted this 390 days 7 hours ago

Oh well, it's always good to make fun of Jacky every once in a while, anyways. It's what keeps me working on my quest: Just thinking that someday someone who plays my quest and can't beat it will commit suicide, and Jack will be there. Not saying that suicide is good, nor is making fun of people doing it.

Aegix Drakan
02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
First off, let me say that I feel sorry for those who knew the guy who died.

second: I'd like to make the following rant:

...I can' t belive the bullshit that JT is pumping out on this. Screwing up facts, making games seem like demoinic devices that suck out our souls...and then going and talking like that...The way he talks, he probably
thinks he IS God!

Seriously, Jack thompson really needs a reality check.

[SARCASM]Now if you'll excuse, me, I'm so depressed by my game of Sonic the hedgehog, that I 'm gonna go on a killing spree and jump off a cliff! [END SARCASM]

mrz84
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Jack Thompson needs to back off. He's an idot (as everyone has said at one point or another) and is just taking things far out of contrast. He needs to go after something that's REALLY dangerous or something. Seriously. It's like he gets a freaking high off of bashing video games.

ctrl-alt-delete
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I love how the title of this thread is "This is getting ridiculous..."

It has been ridiculous ever since this moron opened his mouth for the very first time.

Pineconn
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe one day he'll learn from his idiocy and stop ranting.

Wow, I never knew I could be so funny. http://www.zeldapower.com/forum/images/smilies/looove.gif

MasterSwordUltima
02-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Irony.

I was hoping someone would catch that.