PDA

View Full Version : Get rich quick thanks to SCEA!

War Lord
02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/kotaku-magu/kotaku-magu-tretton-offers-to-buy-unsold-ps3s-for-1200-235204.php

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10

I just got my EGM last week and read this whole interview. The guy is a nut.
I've seen PS3's on shelves every time I go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy or wherever and it's been that way since the Holidays. I wish I had known about this so I could have quit my job.

g.iaroos
02-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Haha I can't believe this guy. Always look before you leap ... and this guy didn't follow the advice. PS3 weren't shipped in large quantity but there wasn't THAT many people that wanted one either. Especialy not a 600 bucks a piece.

Tygore
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Welcome to Sonyland. Please check your dignity and basic numbers comprehension at the door.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
One could not talk about this subject without posting the latest Penny-Arcade. I apologize if it's a bit large.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070210.jpg

Warlock
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah I laughed pretty hard at that. I was just at Super Target over the weekend and they had a ton of PS3s - which is not to say how many they might have even had in the backroom because there was no more shelf space.

AtmaWeapon
02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
One could not talk about this subject without posting the latest Penny-Arcade. I apologize if it's a bit large.

[img GIGANTIC PA COMIC]Way to read the first post man.

Anyway I was thinking about this last night and it kind of makes me mad and kind of doesn't. Sony's behavior as of late kind of reminds me of the press and hype surrounding the N-Gage. The target demographic is interested and curious but the marketing department is doing everything they can to alienate and insult the demographic.

Seriously. The way I see it, gamers are interested in the system and waiting for some killer game to come out that establishes the PS3's role in the pecking order. In the meantime, Sony has inserted its foot in its mouth pretty much every time they let their marketing department get interviewed.

I think the problem is they don't fully understand the situation the PS3 is in. The PS2 launched when the only viable competitors were the N64 and XBox, with the Gamecube still in development. Consumers were wary of the XBox due to distrust of Microsoft within the nerd community and a lack of stellar games, and the N64 wasn't exactly a tough competitor in the eyes of the Playstation crowd. Gamecube was coming, but still far enough away you could save your money and get it if it turned interesting. So the PS2 launched to a dedicated audience against virtually no competition. It was suitably priced and sold great because honestly it had no disadvantages at the time. By the time the XBox and Gamecube established themselves as worthy competitors, the PS2 had a library of exclusive titles that kept gamers interested in it despite its hardware shortcomings.

The PS3 launched in a completely different environment, and it seems Sony has not realized this yet. The XBox managed to attract an audience as strong as Sony's, and the XBox 360 had a full year to gain momentum before the release of the PS3. Nintendo responded to the N64 backlash by relying on its reputation for quirky, fun games, and the Wii promised to bring a completely new dimension to this experience. Both systems are highly anticipated, one is at least as powerful as the PS3, both are significantly less expensive than the PS3. Nintendo realized the Wii was a hard sell and responded by making a Zelda game, a sure sell, one of the launch titles.

In the consumer's eyes, the game library and functionality of the PS3 is not significantly competitive with the XBox 360. Until Sony can come out with a few of its juicy exclusives, the public's perception as I read it is the PS3 is a little bundle of potential. People don't run to the stores and drop a few weeks' paycheck down for "probable fun", they'd rather drop a mortgage payment on something that is fun as soon as they take it out of the box. So really, the somewhat stagnant sales of PS3 aren't necessarily a sign of consumer rejection, but a sign of consumer anticipation; the early adopters got the system ASAP like usual but the average Joe is asking Sony to make it worth their while first.

Sony does not understand this because investors do not understand this. The business types see the numbers and read them as "people don't want the Playstation 3" so Sony fires up the hype machine and makes wild claims in an attempt to do damage control. The problem is, while these statements keep the investors happy, they demean and insult the very people who are still waiting for that one killer game to buy a PS3.

Can Sony hold out until the good games start flowing, or will they pull a Nokia and discourage consumers from purchasing their system on principle? Only time will tell.

MottZilla
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Your details are wrong there Atma. PS2 came out while N64 was out from the previous gen and DreamCast was out for the new gen. Xbox came out later, as did GameCube. But you're right, when PS2 launched it's competition was weak. And it remained that way so long that they were then doing so well they couldn't be stopped.

Warlock
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Your details are wrong there Atma. PS2 came out while N64 was out from the previous gen and DreamCast was out for the new gen. Xbox came out later, as did GameCube. But you're right, when PS2 launched it's competition was weak. And it remained that way so long that they were then doing so well they couldn't be stopped.

Right. Dreamcast was the only real competitor and Sony had more "street cred" at the time with developers and gamers. Meanwhile, Sega was coming off Saturn which was pretty much a failure. Dreamcast was in all ways a better system than PS2, but unfortunately it just didn't get the attention it should have, especially with GC and Xbox on the horizon not long after.

Xbox might have stole some thunder if it didn't come out a year later and as Microsoft's first console (aka "We'll see if Microsoft screws this up first before we jump on board") and IIRC $100 more than PS2. It still did fairly well considering that though. GameCube was just not really in it - everyone still had their pre-conceived notions that Nintendo was a kiddie company, and Yamauchi being the dumbass that he is wasn't helping matters. Really I think Iwata taking over was the best thing that could have happened to Nintendo. I have to say I think he really saved GC from being another N64 by at least getting more third parties interested in the system and getting some stuff like Resident Evil on there (plus mending ties with Square, even if it was only for the semi-lame Crystal Chronicles.. maybe we'll see more on Wii though).

To be honest, what Yamauchi did reminds me a hell of a lot of what Sony is doing now. His mistake was that he always proclaimed that he knew what the consumers wanted - "Internet is a fad", breaking ties with Square, sticking with the cartraige format because "CDs are unproven", etc. In fact, it's really his fault Playstation exists at all. Kind of sad when you think about it. This is sort of the same thing I'm seeing with Sony. They keep proclaiming that everyone wants Blu-ray and that everyone will want their system at $600 with no games (and they *said* no games - "People would still buy our system even if it had no games" - something to that effect), etc. I really see Sony hitting the same issues Nintendo struggled through, but without the 1st party blockbusters (Mario, Zelda, etc) to limp themselves through it. Add the financial problems with stuff like the laptop battery recalls and Sony is setting themselves up for a world of hurt. They won't fall, they are too big for that, but I do think something's going to happen there. We'll see..

P.S. - No one was really curious about N-Gage. I think everyone knew that would be a complete failure from the get-go. It was a stupid idea (why do I need a gameboy that's also a phone? Especially when most phones already play games) and the market was already dominated by Nintendo anyways, not to mention PSP was coming around the same time (not that it did well, but people did buy it). Plus then I hear the thing was actually a POS, and that you had to talk through the phone part funny (I recall people describing it like talking into a taco - lol). And then it was like $200 or some rediculous price like that (maybe $150?)

MottZilla
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Right. Dreamcast was the only real competitor and Sony had more "street cred" at the time with developers and gamers. Meanwhile, Sega was coming off Saturn which was pretty much a failure. Dreamcast was in all ways a better system than PS2, but unfortunately it just didn't get the attention it should have, especially with GC and Xbox on the horizon not long after.

Well, not quite. The DreamCast came out earlier and at a lower price point I believe, and so it didn't use some more expensive technology. The first issue was they used GDROM instead of DVDROM, they were betting the cost of the technology and adoption would be much slower than it turned out. Also GDROM was fixed, there was no room for expansion really. Also the system didn't have quite as much system ram, though it certainly had the VRAM. In a way it seems to me it had the graphical capability to keep up, though it might have lacked general processing power and sufficant RAM. But you never know.

Apparently the DreamCast did much better in the US than anywhere else too. Strange isn't it? What's stranger is there are still DreamCast games being released in Japan on real GD-ROMs licensed by and produced by Sega. Sega may be ended the GDROM production soon though.

Warlock
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, not quite. The DreamCast came out earlier and at a lower price point I believe, and so it didn't use some more expensive technology. The first issue was they used GDROM instead of DVDROM, they were betting the cost of the technology and adoption would be much slower than it turned out. Also GDROM was fixed, there was no room for expansion really. Also the system didn't have quite as much system ram, though it certainly had the VRAM. In a way it seems to me it had the graphical capability to keep up, though it might have lacked general processing power and sufficant RAM. But you never know.

Apparently the DreamCast did much better in the US than anywhere else too. Strange isn't it? What's stranger is there are still DreamCast games being released in Japan on real GD-ROMs licensed by and produced by Sega. Sega may be ended the GDROM production soon though.

Well not the whole thing, but I mean the games looked a hell of a lot better than on the PS2. The graphics engine was superior, despite probably being built with inferior parts :P But then, Sony has always had shitty graphics on their systems.. I am so sick of their jaggies. Also, Dreamcast had a better lineup of games initially than PS2, for quite awhile in fact.

And on the GD-ROMs, I thought they already did? I swear I heard they were ending it (as of maybe a couple weeks ago?), but maybe that was only a "soon" thing.

AtmaWeapon
02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Your details are wrong there Atma. PS2 came out while N64 was out from the previous gen and DreamCast was out for the new gen. Xbox came out later, as did GameCube. But you're right, when PS2 launched it's competition was weak. And it remained that way so long that they were then doing so well they couldn't be stopped.Well I didn't express my idea clear enough but your claim my details are wrong are kind of hindsight-biased.

In the eyes of the consumer the Dreamcast was not a player on the market at this time. Looking over the wikipedia articles I used for launch dates, the PS2 launched in October 2000 (March if you go by the Japan dates) and the announcement that production of the Dreamcast was to come to an end was made on January 31, 2001. Now, it could be that the Dreamcast had a great run during those months and SEGA only discontinued it to keep their word, but I think the writing was already on the wall at that point. I also wasn't very clear about my point but indeed the XBox was to be released later (came out a full year later) but I seem to remember hearing details about it even before the PS2 was released. Basically I was commenting on the market from the eyes of the consumer at the time, and really for the Sony fan the PS2 had no competition whatsoever at this point in time because everyone thought the XBox would fail miserably and most people didn't care about the Dreamcast.

I'm not trying to stomp on the Dreamcast's dick or anything, but you have to acknowledge the facts. Despite its superior hardware and excellent games library, SEGA could not/did not market it well enough to make it a financial success. Sure, they're still producing games for die-hard fans, but they are also making Sonic games on Sony and Nintendo's consoles so it's quite a stretch to say the Dreamcast didn't hurt them.

And on the N-Gage I was actually kind of curious at first because I mean seriously, if I could have a good phone and a good games system in one unit I'd be glad to carry it around with me. However, Nokia's offering was designed as if they asked a focus group for advice then proceeded to use the "things I hate" columns from all of the results as the design document. Honestly I think my tastes are too specific to produce a convenient cell phone that also provides the gaming experience I want, but if someone could make a GBA SP or DS Phone I'd give it a whirl even if the phone was of mediocre quality.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
And then it was like $200 or some rediculous price like that (maybe $150?)

It was $300, and I remember reading articles from E3 about how the audience was stunned silent when they saw the price. Also, the taco thing is totally true, and I once saw a site where people would send in images of themselves talking into other unwieldly things, like Xboxes and VCRs. Something like talktoyourtaco.com or somesuch.

Also, I swear that the link to the comic wasn't in Warlord's post when I read it. Oops.

I think the situation at Sony is more akin to the fall of Iraq than anything else. Who was that guy, the minister of information? He kept saying that everything was okay, and that the Republican Guard was going to crush the infidels or some crap. And then we totally stomped them.

Honestly, what is Sony going to do? Say that the PS3 is selling poorly and is getting beaten by two technologically inferior systems, one of which goes completely against their entire strategy? Of course not. They're going to deny, deny, deny. They're going to try and market their way out of this mess they're in, or at the very least pretend like it's not going on until it either gets better or becomes unavoidably disastrous. Sony is going to spew hillarious crap like this for months, maybe even years. I say we should just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Pineconn
02-14-2007, 12:31 AM
The best strategy they could have is scrap all the extra hardware, especially the Blu-Ray Player. That would cut the PS3's price in half, I guess (you can clearly tell that I'm writting this with zero research :p ), and people would actually look into it. (Actually, more like cut production prices in half, maybe cut the product's price by $150 or so.)

Blu-Ray was just really dumb.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Blu-ray was a retarded choice, but I guess Sony saw it as a killing stroke against HD-DVD. If they could get blu-ray into a couple million homes before HD-DVD could, they would have an edge when the format war really started. They'd have a consumer base already built, and even if the stand alone players didn't fly off shelves immediately, they could still successfully market blu-ray movies. It would have been a smart move if their console had been more successfully marketed.

MottZilla
02-14-2007, 01:30 AM
That's true, that by the time PS2 came out, DC was for all intensive purposes dead. So yes it really didn't have any competition then.

About the PS3, in the short term killing Blu-ray would have been a great idea. But in the long term, I think the system itself will be fine. Once the production costs get cut down and the price for the consumer falls, those Playstation fanboys and the rest will surely buy a PS3. While the Xbox user base certainly is growing, I don't think the Playstation base is going to suddenly get blown away. Not sure really what's going on with Nintendo.

Thunderbird
02-14-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm pretty sure Sony wants PS3 games to be able to use Blu-Ray discs, which would make taking the player out impractical. But what do I know.

Orion
02-14-2007, 04:09 AM
I refuse to buy into this whole HD-DVD/Blu-ray war for two reasons. First, without an HDTV, my current DVD collection is good enough.

Second, within a few years, I get the feeling downloadable content will be the way things go. See: Apple TV. I'll wait for that day, instead.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Sony wants PS3 games to be able to use Blu-Ray discs, which would make taking the player out impractical. But what do I know.

That's just what we've been saying, though. The PS3 is fine for the current generation of DVD games, but blu-ray disc games will require significantly more RAM, or else they'll suffer from serious performance issues, the least of which will probably be long, long loading times. It just doesn't make sense, the way they've implemented it.

Warlock
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, they've already been producing all their games on blu-ray disks. They can't back out now.

MottZilla
02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, they've already been producing all their games on blu-ray disks. They can't back out now.

We all know that. The point was if they had changed it before they were locked in for it, the PS3 would have been starting out better. But like I said, in the long run it probably won't hurt them badly.

Warlock
02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Right.. but the problem is that "the long run" is very much dependant on what's going on right now. Developers are seeing that PS3 is not selling and will either stop supporting it or convert exclusives to cross-platform (already happening a lot). So that hurts Sony in the long run, even though Blu-ray has nothing really to do with that *there*.

Really, blu-ray is the biggest problem I see. Without blu-ray they'd still have a lack of games, but the system price would drop so dramatically that people would buy it out of the "well PS2 was good, I'm sure they'll have more stuff coming" mentality. Thus systems would sell, developers would stay on board, etc. I think the price tag is a huge factor that's blocking that right now. People want to know they are getting value when they slap down $600, and PS3 is not providing that.

But we'll see. I personally hope they fail just so Sony learns some damn humility. They have been so egotistical lately that they really need to be knocked down a few pegs.

MottZilla
02-14-2007, 06:37 PM
You're right that if it were cheaper it would help alot. But remember there are other expensive parts besides the blu-ray drive. They are going to reduce the Cell cpu from 90nm to 65nm and later on they say 45nm. This will drop the cost of the second expensive component in the system. And who knows, the blue laser diodes could drop in price sooner than anyone would expect. Then Blu-ray drives won't cost so much and it'll be ok.

I'm just not convinced this is going to destroy Playstation. Surely it helps competitors like Xbox and Wii, but Playstation will survive I'm sure. But then again only time will tell.

Tygore
02-14-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm just not convinced this is going to destroy Playstation. Surely it helps competitors like Xbox and Wii, but Playstation will survive I'm sure. But then again only time will tell.

Not if their PR doesn't shape up. Even if the PS3 price does drop, Sony will still need to learn to quit being pompous jerks and actually create a positive public image. You can only dig a hole so deep before it becomes impossible to escape from.

MottZilla
02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Not if their PR doesn't shape up. Even if the PS3 price does drop, Sony will still need to learn to quit being pompous jerks and actually create a positive public image. You can only dig a hole so deep before it becomes impossible to escape from.

Don't forget how many kiddies out there think Playstation is the world, and are idiots and don't care how crappy the product is or how much it costs or what the top says about them. I agree Sony could and will end up no where near top dog like last time around, but I don't think Sony will be put down either.

Pineconn
02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Plus, Sony is too broad of a corporation to go bankrupt.

...Then again, they are apparently not doing too well in the TV or music business.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Plus, Sony is too broad of a corporation to go bankrupt.

...Then again, they are apparently not doing too well in the TV or music business.

Those of you who think Sony is too big a corporation to go belly up are right and wrong, but mostly wrong. You have to remember that Sony has several divisions, and the profits of one will not always shoulder the losses of another. Sony Pictures, for example, is doing well, and is set to make big bucks in a few months with Spiderman 3. But other divisions of Sony are doing very poorly.

It's a long shot that the entire company would fall apart over PS3. This is true. But it's entirely possible that Sony's Gaming division would become so unprofitable that it would be impossible to competitively run in the next generation console race. The company might have enough assets to give it another shot, but it might not have enough to afford another major loss. If PS3 continues to go poorly, or if things get worse, PS4 might be a gamble that Sony can't afford.

Grasshopper
02-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Didn't I read on Gamespot that depsite the PS3 sales, the profits were up for Sony this quarter?

I thought the "real" point of including Blu-Ray into the PS3 was to have it push the the new medium, since "Playstation" was such a big name. They want Blu-Ray to sell, because if the industry adopts it as the new medium for storage, thats just more money in Sony's pocket, despite what position PS3 is in. And since Sony had such a drive behind the Playstation name, it's sounds like common sense to include the new medium into its system. I guess they figured it would sell through. And I really don't think they'd want it any other way. It doesn't look like the adoption rate is as fast as they expected.

Nicholas Steel
02-15-2007, 04:40 AM
sorry, but yes the dream cast does seem to have superior graphics over the ps2... maybe it was just easier to code for? but still it was heaps better then what i have ever seen from the ps2... did they use ps2's in arcades? if yes i doubt they would have looked anywhere near as nice as the dreamcast on the big tv's.

AtmaWeapon
02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
sorry, but yes the dream cast does seem to have superior graphics over the ps2... maybe it was just easier to code for? but still it was heaps better then what i have ever seen from the ps2... did they use ps2's in arcades? if yes i doubt they would have looked anywhere near as nice as the dreamcast on the big tv's.That is completely beside the point and the definition of fanboy behavior. Find me sales figures that show the Dreamcast outselling the Playstation 2 for any significant period of time when both systems were on the market and I'll agree. Here's a hint: only the 1-year period between the Japanese release of the PS2 and the announcement by SEGA that The Dreamcast had failed them and production of halt need to be examined. I know few people who do not own a PS2. I know few people who own or want a Dreamcast. I bought 2 or 3 new PS2 games last year, and there are still a few on my "want" list that have come out recently. How many new Dreamcast games have there been over the past year? Wikipedia lists one, how many am I missing?

I'm not trying to say the Dreamcast was a bad system, but you can't cite its graphics and claim it was more successful than the PS2. Superior hardware and graphics do not make your system successful. Remember the Game Gear? What about the Atari Lynx? They had color years before Nintendo got around to adding it to the Game Boy. Which one can you buy in an electronics store today?

Warlock
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
You're right that if it were cheaper it would help alot. But remember there are other expensive parts besides the blu-ray drive. They are going to reduce the Cell cpu from 90nm to 65nm and later on they say 45nm. This will drop the cost of the second expensive component in the system. And who knows, the blue laser diodes could drop in price sooner than anyone would expect. Then Blu-ray drives won't cost so much and it'll be ok.

Right but I have to think the blu-ray is the bulk of it. Those blue diodes are expensive to manufacture, and just look at how expensive normal blu-ray players are (worse than PS3). With *just* Cell, it'd probably be $400 like Xbox 360. Which people would pay for.

As far as what {DSG}DarkRaven said, aren't you agreeing with him? They might phase out the games division, but the company won't go bankrupt.

Pineconn
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
All of this makes me wonder about Nintendo's future. I wonder how they will build on to the motion sensitive controller, even if they will continue the motion sensing. Eh, but this is becoming off-topic.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-15-2007, 05:06 PM
As far as what {DSG}DarkRaven said, aren't you agreeing with him? They might phase out the games division, but the company won't go bankrupt.

Pineconn's statement was more optimistic. I agree with his statement that Sony is too broad a corporation to go bankrupt, but only if you add the word "immediately" at the end of the sentence. I'm a native Michigander, and if anyone needs proof that no corporation is too large and broad to go to pieces, just take a look at Ford Motor Co.

Sony is in no immediate danger of dying, that's for certain. But if they don't shape up soon, they'll be in serious trouble in a few years.

Warlock
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
All of this makes me wonder about Nintendo's future. I wonder how they will build on to the motion sensitive controller, even if they will continue the motion sensing. Eh, but this is becoming off-topic.

Virtual Reality :P And not Virtual Boy crap, I mean good stuff :P

Kairyu
02-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm not trying to say the Dreamcast was a bad system, but you can't cite its graphics and claim it was more successful than the PS2.

I'm having trouble seeing where he actually did that in his post. Better graphics, yes, outselling PS2, no.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm having trouble seeing where he actually did that in his post. Better graphics, yes, outselling PS2, no.

Yes, I forgot to talk about that. If Franpa is a Dreamcast fanboy for saying that, clearly Atma is a rabid mutant fanboy for Sony. He only talks about the Dreamcast having better graphics in his opinion, and never even mentions anything about sales numbers. I think Atma needs an intervention.

AtmaWeapon
02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, I forgot to talk about that. If Franpa is a Dreamcast fanboy for saying that, clearly Atma is a rabid mutant fanboy for Sony. He only talks about the Dreamcast having better graphics in his opinion, and never even mentions anything about sales numbers. I think Atma needs an intervention.Yeah OK so when in a discussion of whether the Dreamcast was a success or not someone jumped in and reiterated what had already been discussed about the Dreamcast hardware I misinterpreted it as support of the "Dreamcast was a success for Sega" position sorry guys. Mainly my emphasis on the fact that the Dreamcast was a good system is to avoid a backlash from Dreamcast fans, since they tend to be a little angry about their system. I can't really blame them; it'd be like Nintendo announcing in a month or so that they just kind of decided the Wii wasn't making them money and they were discontinuing support. (Only to make the analogy more accurate to the Dreamcast hardware vs. its competition at the time the Wii would have to be a machine capable of delivering HD resolution to multiple screens at once at full framerate. Seriously the Dreamcast was crazy powerful for its time.)

Also I'm finding it hard to get specific sales numbers for the PS2 vs. Dreamcast. Actually I tend to have troubles finding sales numbers for modern systems, let alone systems from 6 years ago when no one really cared how many units had been produced. Also I don't really want to devote a lot of time to this. However, I make my argument based on evidence that I feel strongly supports my conclusion that the PS2 outsold the Dreamcast. Based on PS2 having 105 million units (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2) shipped by Nov. 2005 and that Sega only produced 10 million units (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast#End_of_production) of Dreamcast, it'd take some divine distribution for the Dreamcast to have outsold the PS2. Focusing those numbers down into the timeframe is more difficult, but the PS2 article contains this statement:
Upon its release, the PS2 set the mark of being the fastest selling console at launch, breaking the record held previously by the Sega Dreamcast.I'm thinking this one doesn't require much thought to see how it applies to my point.

Of course, this is a complete digression from the original point which is every time Sony lets one of there executives have an interview the guy says something stupid that gets the gaming community up in arms. I think Sony considers this "free publicity" but it's not a good marketing stunt in my opinion if that is even what it is.

Nicholas Steel
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not trying to say the Dreamcast was a bad system, but you can't cite its graphics and claim it was more successful than the PS2.
i never claimed it was more successful then the ps2... i merely claimed that it was most likely easier for developers to code for hence why they had superior graphics on inferior hardware.

Superior hardware and graphics do not make your system successful.
i know this well.

Remember the Game Gear? What about the Atari Lynx? They had color years before Nintendo got around to adding it to the Game Boy. Which one can you buy in an electronics store today?
only major reasons they failed where battery life at the time and cost.

Pineconn
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Pineconn's statement was more optimistic. I agree with his statement that Sony is too broad a corporation to go bankrupt, but only if you add the word "immediately" at the end of the sentence.

Well that kind of changes the meaning of the entire sentence, doesn't it? :p

Virtual Reality :P And not Virtual Boy crap, I mean good stuff :P

That would be nice if virtual reality were even possible... for a gaming console. We'll see in 4 years. BTW, I've seen you posting at The Hylia. Your response was so great about that lady at BBC.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Well that kind of changes the meaning of the entire sentence, doesn't it? :p

That's the point, man.

And true virtual reality won't exist until we perfect bio-nanotechnology. And that's probably not happening for a while, yet. We'll all be old and stuff when Nintendo finally launches the Matrix.

MotleyCrueFan
07-16-2007, 08:00 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/kotaku-magu/kotaku-magu-tretton-offers-to-buy-unsold-ps3s-for-1200-235204.php

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10

I just got my EGM last week and read this whole interview. The guy is a nut.
I've seen PS3's on shelves every time I go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy or wherever and it's been that way since the Holidays. I wish I had known about this so I could have quit my job.

This is way awsome dude!

mrz84
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
After reading the first post, I must say that this is becoming a hilarious misadventure for Sony. :kitty:

gdorf
07-16-2007, 12:17 PM
This thread was from February. Please don't grave dig unless you have something meaningful to contribute.

Closed.