PDA

View Full Version : PS3? Is it worth it?

Brasel
02-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm going to be getting my tax return soon, and I'll get enough to get a PS3 or a 32 in Widescreen HDTV and pay a huge chunk of my car payment. My wife wants to get the TV, and I do too honestly, but I'm also concidering getting a PS3. I already have a Wii, but Wii isn't going to get me MGS4 or FFXIII. Should I get one now, or wait until after I get back from Iraq? Does anyone know anything about the games that are currently out for it? Are there any good ones out?

Darth Marsden
02-10-2007, 12:38 PM
There's no real 'Buy me! BUY ME NOW!' games for the PS3 out yet, as far as I'm aware. If you were to get one, I'd wait til the price drops a bit, which I'm guessing it should do by the time you get back, since there's bound to be more must-have games out by then, as well as the fact that you'd have a kick-ass TV to play it on ;)

Go for the TV and repaying the loan. The less debts you have, the better.

biggiy05
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree with DM. I'd go for the tv now and the PS3 when you come back. I'm sure a some Nintendo fan boys will be in shortly to tell you Sony is crap and they are going to go bottoms up and the Wii is god.

Besides widescreen hdtv. It doesn't get much better.

Darth Marsden
02-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm sure a some Nintendo fan boys will be in shortly to tell you Sony is crap and they are going to go bottoms up and the Wii is god.
The tempation was unbelievable.

Also, biggiy - l33t post count.

Orion
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
In all honesty, I'd go with the wait and see recommendation, but I'd also consider the 360 if you haven't already. They seem to have more good games coming out on the horizon (FFXIII and MG4 seem to have been pushed back to 2008 on the PS3, amd even then, they might not remain PS# exclusives). PS3s are always gunna be there... hell, I've seen the same 4 sitting on the shelf at walmart for the last month and a half now.

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I say TV, loan, and put the PS3 money in a savings account for now and wait until there is some kind of awesome exclusive game on the PS3. While you are waiting, put $10/week into savings or something like that for the heck of it. You'll probably find that by the time MGS4 or FFXIII: Press Start to Watch comes out you'll have enough money to not only buy the PS3, but seriously consider alternative purchases in high-end price brackets.

I do have an animosity towards the PS3 and displayed a little bit of bias above but seriously when I look at the PS3 rack at a store then compare it to the XBox 360 rack I really don't see anything the PS3 offers that is exceptionally tempting at this point in time.

ctrl-alt-delete
02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Definitely go for the TV. Even if you get the PS3, it will not be worth the experience without the TV that will maximize it. Save up for the PS3 for now, waiting for killer aps and a price drop.

MottZilla
02-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I too say go for the TV. Wait on the console. If you decide you want PS2 later on because there are enjoy games you want for it, by then the price may have dropped. There's no point buying one now to sit on for months. But getting yourself a nice HDTV is a good idea. I bought myself a LCD that can handle HDTV signals awhile back rather than the Wii and was certainly pleased.

As for good PS3 games, there are some "good" games but none are superb. Resistance Fall of Man is supposed to be good. Motorstorm is pretty good from what I played of it. But sorry, 500$ or 600$ for "good" games won't cut it for most. You can get good games on current consoles, but are better off waiting till the price falls which it will for certain in the future after they consolidate chipsets and switch to 65nm technology.

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh I fail at reading and thought you had enough money for both but were worried about buyer's remorse on the PS3. Get the TV, it provides the greatest utility as it enhances every system you currently own and every game you play, whereas the PS3 would simply provide you with more gaming options.

Master Ghaleon
02-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Go take care of the other things and then treat yourself with a PS3.

redmage777
02-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Get the TV, since its unlikly that you will be taking the TV or the PS3 to Iraq, it will by your wife who benifits the most for the time being. She says she wants the TV, so go ahead and get the TV, PS3 can wait.

The_Amaster
02-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I mean the PS3 has awsome graphics and processing power, but all that ain't doing ya much good with hardly any games to play on it. I'd get the TV now, and definatly consider getting a 360 at some point.

Yoshiman
02-10-2007, 10:47 PM
0mg git teh tv insted teh gaystation3 is 4 f4gs wii is bettr

I would go with the TV for now. I don't really see a number of killer games out for the PS3 to warrant it's current price. That's my opinion, as MGS doesn't really interest me, and I'm wary about FFXIII, because the designer for that one usually makes extremely emo characters and storylines (he did FF7, 8, and 10).

I'd get a TV now, and a PS3 later when some of the better games are out.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-10-2007, 11:25 PM
I played PS3 a few weeks ago, and honestly, though the TV wasn't so great, it just didn't look that good. What's that FPS game where you fight the aliens? It seriously didn't look worth the extra bucks, that's for sure. Plus, it's essentially the same controller you've been using for ten years, only without a cord. And the machine looks ugly. From the front, I seriously thought my buddy had dug up an old Atari system of some kind.

If you're buying for MGS4 or FF13, wait until those games are actually out. The console should be cheaper, and in the mean time, you can have a huge, cool TV.

Pineconn
02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I saw a Wii console for the first time of my life up close at EB Games, and I knew it was small, but I surprised to see it even smaller than I imagined.

I'd hate to repeat everyone, but a TV would be the better investment for now. Look for reasons in post numbers 2 to 14 above.

Imprisoned
02-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Enjoy your Wii with a better TV ;)

Gunslinger
02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
FFXIII: Press Start to Watch

Nice one.

Cloral
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but get the TV. If there's any specific games you're looking forward to on the PS3, wait for them to come out first. There's not really anything worth getting on it yet.

As for power, the truth of the matter is that the 360 and PS3 are a lot closer in terms of power than Sony would have you believe. The PS3 does have more CPU cycles available, but really most games are judged on their visuals and on that front both consoles perform at about the same level. And the PS3 may have that big-ass blu-ray storage space available, but it effectively has less RAM available than the 360 (both have the same amount, but the PS3's system software uses more of the RAM than the 360's does), so where the hell is all that data suppossed to go? Unless you make a FF-style game with tons of cinematics, there's really no way to get that data into memory effectively.

mrz84
02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
the tv would be the best bet. and gunslinger? sweet av. :kitty: