PDA

View Full Version : [Trip Report] Game Boy Micro Special 20th Anniversary Edition

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2007, 04:26 AM
So around Christmas the local Wal-Mart had a lot of these laying around for $49.99. Once I had the money to buy one, they were not there anymore, but today I saw 2 laying around and got one. It is, for those that haven't seen it (go look it up on google or something seriously I'm typing all these words you can do a little bit of the work :mad:) a Game Boy Micro that is styled after the Famicom. I charged it up and played it a bit, and here's my comments and scoring.

(I collect game boys and the micro made me angry because I figured it was a stupid gimmick until I saw this thing; I especially like special paint jobs and the limited NES GBA is part of the reason why I have 2 GBAs. Harvest Moon on GBA is the other reason: I would typically drain 2 charges per day when I was hardcore into it.)

Styling: 10/10
This thing is SHARP. I'm pretty sure the faceplate is aluminum rather than plastic. I love the styling and it is shiny and sexy and probably the prettiest Game Boy in my collection. This leads to one of the major problems with the unit: playing it left fingerprints and marks on it and honestly it looks more like something that should be on display than tainted with my hands. It came with a little pouch to store it in so that's nice but the "I don't want to tear it up" dilemma leaves me wanting to waste $50 on another so I have one to play and one to display.

Ergonomics: 8/10
The golden rule of Game Boy design is that it must be uncomfortable to hold. This unit is no real exception, but like all other Game Boy units once you are used to it it's fine. My test game was Tetris Attack/Dr. Mario, so the change in d-pad was kind of problematic for the first few minutes. The L and R buttons don't really work like they traditionally do; you push the part that is normally hinged but this is actually where your fingertips should rest so it doesn't pose a real problem. It's about as comfortable as a Game Boy gets.

Screen: 8/10
The screen is very sharp and high quality; this is one of the first things I noticed. The GBA SP screens look pretty fuzzy and low quality in comparison. However, the screen is much smaller than the GBA SP screens and this may account for the difference in clarity and nullify its utility on games where small details are important. I like it but kind of wish it could have been bigger.

Summary
This is probably one of the nicest Game Boys I have bought. It feels like a bit more effort went into its production than your average unit. If you find one for $45 like I did I say it's worth it. Now here's a quick pros and cons for those on the fence here:

Pros
The highest quality and nicest looking Game Boy I own. Screen is sharp and high quality Cheap

Cons
So pretty you kind of don't want to defile it by playing it Tough to hold if you have big hands Screen is small Uses a different charger than GBA SP :mad:

There's more cons than pros but honestly if you do a utilitarian analysis you will see the cons are minor, except for the charger issue which made me pretty mad when I noticed it. I carry a single charger for my SPs and DS and it is great.

My only real problem is like I said the thing is just so pretty I don't want to play it but I feel silly having a Game Boy and not playing it. What would you guys do?

Darth Marsden
02-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Play the damn thing! That's what it's for.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure Nintendo are too.

Nicholas Steel
02-10-2007, 08:07 AM
wear gloves or wrap a shirt around your hand or something while you play.

Brasel
02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I almost bought one, but I decided not to. Good thing too, because the next day my wife found me a Wii. Spent my money on that instead.

Mak-X
02-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I thought about getting one of those to use as an mp3 player with the Play-Yan Micro (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-77-1-49-en-15-play%2Byan-70-xfo.html). Looks you can can buy Europe's mp3 player (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6a-49-en-15-play%2Byan-70-1krl.html) version of Play-Yan now too.

If I see the Famicom version for $50, I think I'd pick it up too.

Have you used the new version of the GBA SP with the backlit screen that came out around the same time as the Micro in the U.S.? I've thought about picking up one of those, maybe even for FFVIA. It's hard to go back to my old NES edition GBA SP after using a DS Lite, even with the added blurring.

vegeta1215
02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
I tried a Micro a few years ago right after they introduced them. I thought it was really neat, but too small for me.They were on sale sale at Wal-mart a few weeks go, on clearance for $30. There were some Famicom Anniversary ones I think - I wish I had bought one when I saw them, cause people are selling them for quite a bit on eBay I think.

Orion
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Does the Micro have the original chipset in it? That is, does it let you play original GB and GBC games? Or is it just GBA ala the DS?

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Have you used the new version of the GBA SP with the backlit screen that came out around the same time as the Micro in the U.S.? I've thought about picking up one of those, maybe even for FFVIA. It's hard to go back to my old NES edition GBA SP after using a DS Lite, even with the added blurring.No, I haven't but I want to. The problem is even though I'm a total whore for Game Boys and I'd love to buy it, this is even worse than the GBA to GBA SP move because honestly "brighter backlight" isn't enough to make me want to buy a third GBA SP (also it would be my fifth GBA total!). Now, if they'd release some kind of special edition paint job to commemorate some game or something I'd gobble that up, but so far they haven't. I still need a DS Lite but the price of it and the durability of my DS are keeping me away from it so far.

I actually left out one of the most confusing aspects of the Famicom Micro. One of Nintendo's major selling points was the swappable faceplates on the GBA Micro. The idea was you could customize it, just like people customize their XBox 360s. Regardless of whether it caught on or not, you cannot swap faceplates on the Famicom Micro! Where there should be spring-loaded pegs to easily remove the pieces of the faceplate the Famicom Micro has tri-wing screws, and the packaging comes with a "correction notice" for pages of the manual that concern faceplate swapping to inform you that this model does not support the feature. Why?

Had they left that feature in, I could remove the Famicom plates and play the system to my heart's content with some other faceplate installed, then replace the Famicom one when I want to display it :mad:.

Tygore
02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a Micro, and love it. It feels really nice in my hands, and the screen is great. Wish I had held out for the Famicom ones, though.

MottZilla
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Does the Micro have the original chipset in it? That is, does it let you play original GB and GBC games? Or is it just GBA ala the DS?

It's like the DS, NO SUPPORT for GBC/GB games. Unlike the GBASP, which makes the GBASP (original, not brighter screen version) the best Gameboy ever made. I've already given up hope that the NDS was just their third leg as they said, it's quite clear they killed the Gameboy line. But should it come back it should boast full gameboy compatibility.

Orion
02-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Hm... well as stylish as the micro might be, that just kills it for me. The only reason I'd want a portable gameboy is to be able to play the old games I still have. If the DS plays advance games, I don't see much a point in owning the Micro.

Yoshiman
02-10-2007, 07:36 PM
My young cousin has a Gameboy Micro, and after helping him in one of his games, I have to say I don't like the Micro. I have big hands (not sausage fingers, more like piano hands), so it's kind of hard for me to hold the thing comfortably. The Micro's screen is really small when you compare it to the DS. I don't like to squint or have the screen an inch from my face while play games. :p

It looks nice and it's good for people with smaller hands, but it's uncomfortable for big-handed, nearsighted people to play.

The_Amaster
02-10-2007, 08:14 PM
The Micro is cool size-wise, as you can carry it wherever. I just like the DS better, that's all. The ability to play old games on the DS is really cool, although I wouldn't have minded GBC and GB compat, tho. The Micro just doesn't have enough features to earn my cash.