PDA

View Full Version : New Movement Combos (For AFTER 2.5)

CJC
02-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Firstly, I want to make it clear that I do NOT want these to be worked on until after the stable release is done. I just had the idea pop into my head and I wanted to post it before I forget.

Alright... most of this is for better manuvering in a sidescrolling screen, but it can be used for top-downs too.

First, the 'Climb' and 'A->Climb' combos:

Climb Combo-A combo that Link climbs up on when approached.
================================================== =

In sidescroller, 'Climb' will be initiated when the combo is approached from the x-axis. A special 'Climb' sprite will be displayed, and then Link will be placed on top of the combo. Note that this will only work if there is an open space on top of the combo(This is up to the quest builder to avoid, not the developers). Also note that while a small Link will be climbing a rock as tall as he is, a big Link will only be climbing up something at his waste. This should be tended to by the spriter when making big Link tiles, and is also not a concern for the developers.
In normal mode, 'Climb' will be initiated from any side of the object, and the climb sprite will be displayed as in Side-Scroller. However, instead of placing Link above the combo, Climb will move him up on the Z-axis (And possibly a little on the Y to make him look like he's up high) and make him out of range from enemy attacks. However, this also renders him unable to harm the enemies, so climbing will remain a defensive manuver at best. This is the more difficult function of the 'Climb' combo, and is not entirely necessary. Link may freely descend from the 'Climb' combo by stepping off. Leaving a 'Climb' combo reset's Link's z-axis position to the default.

'A->Climb' Combo-This works exactly the same way as the 'Climb' combo, only the action is activated solely when the 'A' button is pressed adjacent to the combo.

These climb features are intended to mimic the later 3-d games, as well as make side-scrolling areas easier to navigate. As they are combos, the creator can place climbable areas wheresoever they please. I suppose it could also be worked as a flag, but that doesn't feel as flexible.
Maybe a 'Climb' flag could be a trigger caused by climbing on an object?

...Anyways, moving on to idea #2:

Antigrav Combo-This is mostly for side-scrolling in areas where Ladders are undesirable. The best application I can picture are stairs. Antigrav Combos disable the 'Fall' pulls while Link is on them. As soon as he leaves, gravity sets in again.

The way this combo will work is simply to disable gravity in the area of the combo. While Link is on the combo, he may move freely on the Y-axis without falling. However, once he steps off the combo gravity sets in again, and he falls if there's not unwalkable flags beneath him.
To create the illusion of side-scroller stairs, place a thin layer (1 combo tall) of these antigrav combos in a diagonal going up or down the direction desired. The player may now 'ignore' gravity to move up the stairs without being able to leave their boundries. If the player tries to move upward off the center of the stairs, as soon as he/she leave the combo Gravity will pull him/her back down. Jumping will create the same effect. It's the simplest way I can concoct to make side-scroller stairs.
In normal screens, Antigrav Combos can be set aside as stops for the 'Jump off Cliff' action, like the Port combo does for rafts.

Like I said, this is NOT for the next stable release, but rather a new feature to strive for after the bugs are squashed.

So... Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Flames?

Din
02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Great idea! I should give you applause and my 2 cents!

ICE COMBO
====================================
This basically enables link to slide on ground for you antarctic quest makers!

SPEED COMBO
====================================
Link when walking goes twice his normal speed so that you can make a part where Link goes really fast!

redmage777
02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I think _L_ put Climb Combos on his to-do list many weeks ago. He said that they were A must for side veiw areas, so they may very likely be in 2.5. His reasoning for it seems well grounded.

CJC
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, not exactly. _L_ added 'Ladder' combos which enable up-down movement in sideview areas. My climb combo is different, it functions more like the ledges you encounter in 3D Zelda games... the kind you can climb up on if they're short enough.

And having areas that ignore gravity would also be very necessary for sideview areas, to get around the excessive need for jumping and ladders.