PDA

View Full Version : Mapmaker within new Zquest?

DarkFlameWolf
02-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Not really sure where it is or how to use it. Any help would be appreciated.

Imprisoned
02-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Are you talking about a MapMaker usable with 2.10?

koopa
02-06-2007, 01:50 PM
No, I put a "mapmaker" checkbox into the latest beta of Zquest under Etc. / View Map. Just check it and press ok, and it'll save a copy of the map you're viewing as screenshot (like when you press Z, ZC directory, BMP format).

Note that a full map is 5.5MB, so this might take a couple of seconds to complete.

EDIT: should also work for 2.10 quests - import a copy into the latest beta. Note: A COPY. Not the original :)

Saffith
02-06-2007, 01:50 PM
If you go to Etc->View map, there's a checkbox labeled "Save Bitmap (Mapmaker)." If you check it, the map image it shows when you click OK will also be saved as zelda###.bmp.
That's it.

CastChaos
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
For what purpose is it? I mean, is it just for you can show a screenshot about your map for others, or it's pixel width matches the minimap? So you just save the map, then grab it into the tiles and choose it in the DMap's "before map" section? It would be madly useful this way.

koopa
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
The idea was that questmakers could release a shot of the whole overworld if they want to. You can scale it up and down as much as you like in your favourite image editor.

WindStrike
02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
(Hmmm... guess that may solve a few problems for me...)
Anyways, does it save the map with all of the different palettes set for each screen? Or does it just save it like the way the View Map views it, where it sets one palette to the entire map, depending on whichever screen you decided the view the map from?
(If it doesn't, then is there anyway by chance that mayhaps you could incorporate it in the next build or something as a checkbox? (Yeah... I haven't changed since beta 16c... so I haven't seen any of the latest builds... and there's a reason I'm not using them...))

DarkFlameWolf
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
From my understanding, it can't handle maps with different palettes and just saves a bitmap with what it sees. So you'll have to save the map in various palettes and then copy/paste sections in.

erm2003
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
From my understanding, it can't handle maps with different palettes and just saves a bitmap with what it sees. So you'll have to save the map in various palettes and then copy/paste sections in.

I just confirmed that this is true when viewing a map with multiple dungeon dmaps, however a map with multiple overworld dmaps does work great! This is a nice addition to ZQuest since it at least makes overword maps much easier to handle. Maybe there will be a way to tweak it to work better with dungeons.

koopa
02-07-2007, 12:30 PM
The problem is how to find out which screens should be saved under which dmap, as the screens themselves carry no dmap information. Indeed you could make a quest where you can visit the same screen on different dmaps depending from where you come.

DarkFlameWolf
02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/badcolor.jpg

As you can clearly see, this is Ganon's Claim which had various palettes incorporated into the overall overworld. XD But the mapmaker simply takes whatever screen you're on in the editor and maps that palette across the entire bitmap it creates, regardless of what the dmap uses or the palettes each individual screen is set to in the editor.

koopa
02-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Seems like I've got my work cut out ... as Zquest does save some palette information for each screen, I suppose I could make it use that. Yeah, I'll work on it.

DarkFlameWolf
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Speaking of which, Petoe should make all screen palettes in a certain cultist cave in LI all be of a single palette instead of two different pals and just expecting the dmap to do all the work. *glares at Petoe*