PDA

View Full Version : Konami finally does it!

Kairyu
02-02-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3156904
RONDO. OF. BLOOD. RERELEASE.
Not Drac X, RoB.
With a full 2.5-D makeover, MMPU/MMHX style.
And a pixel-for-pixel port mode.
And a port of SotN (It sounds right now like it's going to be the SAT version!).

Yeah. 'Bout time.

Warlock
02-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Boooo... PSP sucks

Kairyu
02-02-2007, 12:15 AM
There've been more than enough games released for the PSP that I would want. At this point I'm seriously considering getting one if the price goes down before this comes out.

MottZilla
02-02-2007, 09:04 AM
There've been more than enough games released for the PSP that I would want. At this point I'm seriously considering getting one if the price goes down before this comes out.

I have one for sale. Check my thread. :O Personally I hope this comes out on PS2 cause I'd prefer to play it on the big screen, but this is definitely a HUGE addition to the PSP's library.

Warlock
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I have one for sale. Check my thread. :O Personally I hope this comes out on PS2 cause I'd prefer to play it on the big screen, but this is definitely a HUGE addition to the PSP's library.

QFT

But yeah, other than this, the only PSP game that has interested me is Mega Man: Powered Up and that's really just a remake of the first game. It's a little sad that the only games I've seen that look good are remakes :P So, still not enough reason for me to get one, not even counting the general growing dislike for Sony ATM..

ZTC
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
So it's finally making it's way to the US shores.
It's about damn time.

AtmaWeapon
02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Welp so a dozen people get to play a Castlevania that any serious fan has already played through emulation (and hahahaha the "Oh but emulation is not as originally intended" doesn't work here because it's a port onto PSP which is not the original system)

Also I swear you can already play SotN on PSPs.

I'm with Mott I wish they'd do this on the PS2 instead so an actual market of gamers can play it instead of a bunch of homebrew guys that want to play emulated games on a handheld.

Kairyu
02-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Welp so a dozen people get to play a Castlevania that any serious fan has already played through emulation (and hahahaha the "Oh but emulation is not as originally intended" doesn't work here because it's a port onto PSP which is not the original system)
I'd prefer to argue from the "It's a pain to try and emulate" angle. And before you come back with the "Not if you actually make a real effort" angle, I'll pre-counter you with the "You go do that while me and the significantly-more-than-twelve people who haven't played it yet just go buy the game and save ourselves a headache" angle.

Also I swear you can already play SotN on PSPs.
Don't swear, this isn't GB. Besides, if we're talking about free extras it's pretty hard to argue that the SAT version of SotN is a bad freebie.

I'm with Mott I wish they'd do this on the PS2 instead so an actual market of gamers can play it instead of a bunch of homebrew guys that want to play emulated games on a handheld.
I'd prefer DS since the portable part was one of the things that seemed best about it, but that'd be kinda unrealistic what with the DS's screens and all.

MottZilla
02-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Kairyu, why pay for the PSP and this game when you could without emulating pickup a PC-Engine DUO or TurboDUO and play Dracula X. And on the big screen too. Likewise for the Saturn version of CV SotN. You're right though, for the average joe this is THE option. But only because they haven't yet announced a PS2 version, which they had better. PS2 is infinitely a better platform for CV DX.

Kairyu
02-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Because there's at least half a dozen other games I'd buy for it too- I certainly would buy a PSP just for one game.

MottZilla
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Because there's at least half a dozen other games I'd buy for it too- I certainly would buy a PSP just for one game.

There's over a dozen games for PC-Engine and PCE CDROM to buy it for. Far more than PSP.

Kairyu
02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Um, okay... but they probably aren't the games I would want to buy a PSP for...

I have this weird feeling that I'm missing something about this conversation. Is it just anti-PSP day and nobody told me?

Warlock
02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
He's saying PC-Engine has better games than the PSP, so just buy the PC-Engine instead :P Though of course, all of those games are in Japanese as well :P

Mak-X
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Trailer - http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8913
1up.com preview - http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8907

I'm estastic about this! DRACULA X: RONDO OF BLOOD!

This'll get me to buy a PSP when it comes out this fall.
Would rather it come to PS2 or Wii though. Seriously though, this is one of the best things to happen to the series in a while. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood Remake, the original Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night with a touched up localization.

I had planned to get a Turbo Duo or PC Engine someday and Dracula X, but this seems to be a much more convenient and affordable option.

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=dracula+x+pc
Turbo Duo system http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=turbo+duo+system
PC Engine system http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=pc+engine+system

redmage777
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Too bad I have next to no desire to own a PSP... But Rondo of Blood! It would have convinced me to buy a Wii and a DS, but I don't know about getting a PSP just to play this one game. Might just get the game while I can and wait for the PSP to fell into obsolesance so I can get one for cheap.

Orion
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
The PSP is a fine piece of hardware... and there are finally a few nice games out. If I wasn't so damn poor, I wouldn't have sold mine, but games like katamari, Lumines, and Loco Roco make it worth owning. Not to mention the emulation capabilities... damn I want mine back. Oh well.

MottZilla
02-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Um, okay... but they probably aren't the games I would want to buy a PSP for...

I have this weird feeling that I'm missing something about this conversation. Is it just anti-PSP day and nobody told me?

No, I'm just very supportive of PC-Engine and the CD-ROM system add-on and hold it in a very high reguard. To me PSP along with many systems have absolutely no chance of matching the PCE ever.

He's saying PC-Engine has better games than the PSP, so just buy the PC-Engine instead :P Though of course, all of those games are in Japanese as well :P

No they aren't Warlock unless you get technical on the name. The PC-Engine is also the TurboGrafx, so english versions of many games exist. Plus for most games the japanese is not a problem.

Brasel
02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I really like my PSP and I'll be picking this up. The PSP's library has been getting bigger lately. I didn't like the fact that I had to buy a PSP to play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and the upcoming FFVII game, but after getting some other titles for it, I decided that it wasn't so bad. Mega Man X Maverick Hunters is pretty cool, as is having a PS2 quality portable NHL game.

Imprisoned
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Boooo... PSP sucks
Damn straight.
The only good games I've played on PSP are Need For Speed: Most Wanted and newer, Medievil and LocoRoco...
DS ftw.

MottZilla
02-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Play MegaMan Maverick Hunter X or MegaMan Powered Up. Both excellent games.

Modus Ponens
02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Look, I heard that there's a Final Fantasy Tactics sequel coming out for the PSP. That's enough for me, thank you.

Orion
02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there is a FF Tactics game coming out for both the DS and the PSP... the DS version being a sequel to Tactics Advance, and the PSP version being a remake of the original PS Tactics. I look forward to both. Tactics is just the kind of game tht works on a handheld format.

Warlock
02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
No they aren't Warlock unless you get technical on the name. The PC-Engine is also the TurboGrafx, so english versions of many games exist. Plus for most games the japanese is not a problem.

I thought PC-Engine was the CD version which was Japanese-only I think. Or at least, I thought Rondo was only for the CD version...

ZTC
02-05-2007, 01:10 PM
...which I'm playing through right now. (and yes, it is) That game is fun as hell. I could really care less that most of the text and voices are in Japanese, heck... it might help me learn the language a little bit.

MottZilla
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought PC-Engine was the CD version which was Japanese-only I think. Or at least, I thought Rondo was only for the CD version...

PC-Engine = TurboGrafx 16
PC-Engine CD-ROM = TurboGrafx CD-ROM
PC-Engine Super CD-ROM = TurboGrafx Super CD-ROM
PC-Engine Arcade CD-ROM = No USA Release

Many games like you said were only released in Japan, however no CD games have any regional lockout. And "most" games can be played without being able to read or understand japanese.

Warlock
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
So yeah, you've still got to get the CD version and it's still in japanese though :P

MottZilla
02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
What's the problem with Dracula X being in japanese? The whole what 3 scenes with talking are that important to you? And you don't "have" to get the CD, you could burn it like everyone else. And don't feel bad about it either until Konami rightfully releases Dracula X on a home console.

Warlock
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
You were saying instead of getting the PSP and this new Dracula X Chronicles, get the PC-Engine and that version of Dracula X because PC Engine has better games. Except you *have* to get the CD version if you're getting Dracula X, which means you're getting Japanese titles for that. I don't know if the CD version plays normal American TGFX16 games, but assuming so you could get those in English I guess.

All I'm pointing out is that all the PCECD games you're getting are going to be Japanese. Whether you care or not is up to you :P

MottZilla
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
You were saying instead of getting the PSP and this new Dracula X Chronicles, get the PC-Engine and that version of Dracula X because PC Engine has better games. Except you *have* to get the CD version if you're getting Dracula X, which means you're getting Japanese titles for that. I don't know if the CD version plays normal American TGFX16 games, but assuming so you could get those in English I guess.

All I'm pointing out is that all the PCECD games you're getting are going to be Japanese. Whether you care or not is up to you :P

The PC-Engine CD systems play all CD games. So that means you can play american CD games on japanese consoles and japanese games on american consoles. The only possibly exception is the Arcade CD games which would require you run the Arcade Card through an adapter or rewire it as there is no american version of the arcade card. Anyways, PCE owns PSP easily.

Mak-X
02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
The second episode or 1up.com's Retronaut's Bonus Stages is about the Saturn port of Symphony of the Night. It doesn't sound like we'll be getting that version for the PSP.
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8951

Die monster, you don't belong in this world!

Warlock
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
The second episode or 1up.com's Retronaut's Bonus Stages is about the Saturn port of Symphony of the Night. It doesn't sound like we'll be getting that version for the PSP.
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8951

Die monster, you don't belong in this world!

Heh, I liked the first one.. "It's Zelda in a church!"

Edit: LOL.. they are making fun of Saturn's 3d abilities: "Look at that cross! Catholics everywhere are crying" hahahaha

Edit2: That was great.. I love those features. That slowdown in the game was rediculous too.

MottZilla
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
It's always people that never played or know nothing about Saturn. The reason the CV:SotN Saturn port suffered mainly from some slowdown issues were because the porting job was handed off to less than talented people. Not to mention Konami never really supported the Saturn properly thus the quality of all their titles is far less than other devs like Capcom which produced amazing Saturn titles.

Mak-X
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
They were aware that the port of the game, handled by the same team that did Castlevania Legends, and not the Saturn system itself, was at fault for that version of SotN.

Warlock
02-07-2007, 02:47 AM
They were aware that the port of the game, handled by the same team that did Castlevania Legends, and not the Saturn system itself, was at fault for that version of SotN.

But the Saturn was at fault for the lack of transparency effects... that's just a bit lame :P

MottZilla
02-07-2007, 03:26 AM
No, the Saturn wasn't capable of true "translucency" effects or "alpha blending". Also, the Saturn version's number one problem was poor engine porting that resulted in horrifying slowdown. Had the game properly took advantage of both SH2 Cpu chips and been correctly tuned to the system's strengths it would have been a great port. And the translucency honestly is not a big issue. While it certainly looked nice on the PSX a satisfactory effect could be achieved on the Saturn.

Their bitching about the Saturn's "3d" and the cross on the coffin is really stupid and makes you wonder if they even played it on PSX. That's what the fucking thing looked like. Again, the main issue with Saturn's port was slowdowns due to poor coding. Fix that and right there its as good as the Playstation original. Utilize the 4M RAM cartridge to decrease loading times and you are really talking a great port.

punkonjunk1024
02-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Since this seems to have become a PSP thread mostly, and mott pretty much knows emulation inside and out, is it possible to emulate PS on PSP? The information on PHwiki is terribly uninformative.

MottZilla
02-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Since this seems to have become a PSP thread mostly, and mott pretty much knows emulation inside and out, is it possible to emulate PS on PSP? The information on PHwiki is terribly uninformative.

Since Firmware version 3.01 or so they have included a PS1 emulator which can play your own ISOs if you apply some hacks. If you're interested in a PSP let me know I have one for sale.

redmage777
02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
The Question of weather it will be the Sega Saturn version could be answer "Maybe and No" accoring to EGM, Konami hinted about "Things that ended up on the cutting room floor due to time constraints." This could include being able to play as Maria and/or the two bonus areas.

MasterSwordUltima
02-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Bah, I thought this was about the MGS movie and the speil with the director and such. Oh well. Castlevania-Ho!

Mitsukara
02-20-2007, 02:31 AM
I was giddy to hear about this when I first did, and I don't even have a PSP (though I intend to in the future).

The Saturn version of Symphony of the Night is both underrated and flawed. It is a much uglier version of the game, with all kinds of graphical snafus, and worse loading time/slowdown. In trade, you get very cool (if not life-changing) features; the ability to play as Maria in addition to the other two, two new areas (which aren't necessary, but it's still cool I say), and the two things everyone forgets, a handful of new items for Alucard (including a color-changing rainbow cloak) and new remixes of Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears (which is the only one I've heard... and AWESOME), and Beginning.

Personally, I would like to see that version come out here. Or better yet, cut and paste the new features into the PSX version so you get the best of both worlds. Include or redraw the alternate Richter outfit as well... though I won't complain about that since they're using it in the remake of RoB. I do so love SOTN art style Richter; easily the coolest looking Castlevania hero period in my book.

I think it'd be funny of them to slip in Dracula X SNES as a "hidden bonus".

Hmm... with the powers of illegal emulation (but I do own the game! So it's a backup! So it's still illegal), I can, realistically, someday have a PSP capable of playing Dragon Warrior VII and this RoB/Remake/SotN. As in the two games that really make the PSX worthwhile for me at all. That shall be win.

But yeah, the only other PSP games to catch my attention are Megaman Powered Up and Megaman X Whatever It Was (which should show how much attention I've paid to that game). For me so far, Sony systems have basically only been good for the third party series that used to work for Nintendo :X Well, and Katamari Damacy... I need to get that now that I actually have a PS2. Dragon Quest VIII is wonderful by the way.

AtmaWeapon
02-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Personally, I would like to see that version come out here. Or better yet, cut and paste the new features into the PSX version so you get the best of both worlds. Include or redraw the alternate Richter outfit as well... though I won't complain about that since they're using it in the remake of RoB. I do so love SOTN art style Richter; easily the coolest looking Castlevania hero period in my book.
Sounds like good ideas for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [Advanced | Dxxxxxx Sxxxxxxxx]. <3

Also the SOTN art was awesome and I hate the art team for moving away from the gothic style towards the anime style.

MottZilla
02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
The Saturn version of Symphony of the Night is both underrated and flawed. It is a much uglier version of the game, with all kinds of graphical snafus, and worse loading time/slowdown. In trade, you get very cool (if not life-changing) features; the ability to play as Maria in addition to the other two, two new areas (which aren't necessary, but it's still cool I say), and the two things everyone forgets, a handful of new items for Alucard (including a color-changing rainbow cloak) and new remixes of Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears (which is the only one I've heard... and AWESOME), and Beginning.

Uglier? No... for the most part is the exact same as the PSX version. The main issue with the port more than anything else, is slowdown from unoptimized code. Shame on Konami. They should have outsourced the port to Capcom who actually knew how to develop for Saturn.

Warlock
02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Uglier? No... for the most part is the exact same as the PSX version. The main issue with the port more than anything else, is slowdown from unoptimized code. Shame on Konami. They should have outsourced the port to Capcom who actually knew how to develop for Saturn.

No transparency? Doggier 3d effects?

MottZilla
02-21-2007, 09:46 PM
No transparency? Doggier 3d effects?

No hardware translucency. It is capable of creating see through illusions. "Doggier 3d effects"? The fuck does that mean. Both games use the same models and same textures. Also, 3d effects, what the fuck is that? It doesn't have 3d effects, it can render full 3d models and scenes.

And the graphics don't make the game less fun, it's the gameplay slowing down because of shitty coding.