PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Screenshot or Action Figure?

Darth Marsden
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/01/duke_nukem_forever_screenie.jpg

You decide. (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/26/duke-nukem-forever-screenshot-prepare-to-squint/)

ShadowTiger
01-28-2007, 07:18 PM
... Oh dear.

It's been .. what .. a decade? .. since we last heard of DNF. I mean, serious, serious news. They used to be on the Quake II Engine, I recall. I saw dogs and policemen with needles in their arms (Going outward, not inwards.) revved to attack you. I saw hookers, I saw payphones, I saw neon bright lights!

... ...

So many years later, a little snippet of something that could almost be made of clay.

"Interesting."

I look forward to hearing more from it. My computer will easily bow to and quiver at the merest mention of its monolithic system requirements, but it will be nice to see nonetheless.

AlexMax
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty sure this was outted as fake. If Duke was getting close to release, they would'nt release one picture with no announcement on the website.

Grasshopper
01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Doom 3/Prey character models looked liked plastic too.

vegeta1215
01-29-2007, 01:10 AM
Honestly, who really cares about Duke Nukem anymore? Duke Nukem 3D was great fun, but that's it. Even if they did put a new one out, Duke's humor alone isn't enough to enable it to stand up against modern FPS games.

Warlock
01-29-2007, 02:34 AM
At this point, it would have to be *the best FPS ever* to be worth this wait. And it won't be. I honestly don't think it'll ever be released.

ZTC
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I remember back when it switched from the Quake 2 engine to the Unreal engine... till this thread, I completely forgot about DNF lol

ShadowTiger
01-29-2007, 02:25 PM
If someone has been waiting for a game that hadn't produced any news for years and years and years, I doubt they'd be waiting for long. I've seen people lose hope for actual human beings being alive faster than news about DNF comes out, apparently.

Amazing to see news, but for the sake of remembering about its mere existence.

Modus Ponens
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I've seen people lose hope for actual human beings being alive faster than news about DNF comes out, apparently.

A video game project can survive many years without shelter, food or water much more easily than a human.

Duke Nukem 3-D was the first FPS I played that used mouse aiming. I was so stunned by how fun it was to be able to look around and aim like that. I wonder if there are any innovations that DNF could possibly bring to the FPS table that would pique gamers' interests?

Darth Marsden
01-30-2007, 05:42 AM
It took me a while to realise FPSs could use the mouse to im, but once I did... never goin' back. That's why I find it damn near impossible to play FPSs on consoles - no mouse-like control. Thank god for the Wii.

I don't know, nor care, if that is a genuine screenshot or not. I will wait for a in-game video before I even raise an eyebrow, and will clearly need a demo before I get even remotely interested. Course, my machine will never run it. I really wish they'd released the version they showed a video for... that looked amazingly good fun...

Nicholas Steel
01-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Riverman doesnt wolfenstein 3d have mouse aiming? (obviously not up and down axis tho)

Chibidia
01-30-2007, 06:18 AM
If it was legit... I'd say it's a unique graphic style. Anyways, yeah... whatever happened to all those action games with a good amount of humor in em? Especially... Earthworm Jim.

Warlock
01-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Riverman doesnt wolfenstein 3d have mouse aiming? (obviously not up and down axis tho)

I don't think Wolf3d, Doom, or Duke3d had any mouse support at all. Most DOS FPSers didn't.

Duke3d *may have* had it. The only reason being it actually *was* 3d - there was a vertical aspect to the game and you could jump, get jetpacks, etc.

Doom and Wolf3d 100% did not tho. All enemies were at eye level, so you didn't need to aim your gun. You just aimed your body at them and shot.

Darth Marsden
01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
It *did* have it - I believe it was 'u' to turn it on/off. I'm assuming we're discounting the more recent engines and so on ;)

Chibidia - The Ratchet & Clank series was/is pretty silly, and they're remaking Earthworm Jim I for the PSP, but you're right. We need more tongue-in-cheek games that don't suck!

ShadowTiger
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Doom and Wolf3d 100% did not tho. All enemies were at eye level, so you didn't need to aim your gun. You just aimed your body at them and shot.Yeah, for the most part. I remember in Doom how it'd automatically aim up or down for you when the enemies were on a different height plane than you were. The game physics were very, very odd, relative to the general physics of today.

I think I remember aiming with the mouse in Duke3D rather often though. At first all I did was sidestep a lot by holding Right Alt, but that got tiring very quickly. It worked in Doom, but not here. No. I love nothing more than circlestrafing to subdue foes as appropriate, and I need mouse support to do it. 'nuff said. ... apparently.