PDA

View Full Version : Restrooms at gas stations

cbailey78
01-23-2007, 03:33 AM
Why do we have to ask for a key to use the restrooms on the back of the convenient stores?

Breaker
01-23-2007, 08:03 AM
so homeless people don't live in them.

elise
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
The chance you destroy them is much lower cause you know , they know you where there .

Sute
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
They do that now? I refuse to go in those anyway, same with the school bathrooms.. I really loved the week when the "Phantom Shitter" was going about and crapping on the floors of the boys' bathrooms. Totally awesome, and then the school tried to remake the bathroom sign-out procedure, that you had to mark down what times you went to the bathroom, that way they could catch the guy doing it.

Too bad you don't have to write the real time you go to the bathroom.

ShadowTiger
01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah, because god knows putting a camera into a bathroom facing away from all the stalls and such would be a violation of your privacy. :rolleyes: Point it away from all the naughty bits and places and take off the sound (For those noises you'd rather not hear in the security room...) and you can see who comes and goes, .. and even who does not go, in case someone is tied up in there or something.

... what.

mrz84
01-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Personally, I stay away from gas station bathrooms as much as possible. I do the same with most other places when I can avoid it. I can go to the ones in the hotel I work at (I've checked the whole building and found not a single security camera) and of course at home. :kitty:

Darth Marsden
01-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Have you never played Sam & Max? The answer's right there.

Dragon Omega
01-26-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't think I've have never been to a gas station that does that. :mischief:

Darth Marsden
01-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Double negative! Take a shot!

I don't tend to go to the bathroom at 'gas' stations. Wherever we pull over there's normally a McDonalds or whatever, and if we need to go, we do so there. And then eat. :D

Modus Ponens
01-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Double negative! Take a shot!

Actually, despite the clumsiness of what DO said, it's not technically a double negative. The first negative, don't, is negating the modal operator think. The next one, never, negates the auxiliary+verb construction have been, which appears inside the scope of think. That kind of negation is perfectly acceptable, and, indeed, is one way to correctly say that one doesn't think that one has not ever been to a gas station. (It's like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!; can't and not are negating two different levels of modal operation, so it's fine.)

Now, if DO actually meant to imply that he hasn't been to a gas station, well, then, he said it wrong, but no syntactic error has occurred here.

Prrkitty
01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Off topic: I love it when we get language/verbiage (spelling?) lessons. Learn something new every day :)

On topic: I, also, don't like using gas station bathrooms. I much prefer to go to a restroom in a fast food place. They usually are cleaner AND safer.

MasterSwordUltima
01-27-2007, 01:38 AM
I pretty much go at home. I never did like the public restrooms, no clue as to what all goes on. Atleast at home I know what goes on.

As for locking the bathroom, meh, its their store, let them do as they wish.

Darth Marsden
01-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Actually, despite the clumsiness of what DO said, it's not technically a double negative. The first negative, don't, is negating the modal operator think. The next one, never, negates the auxiliary+verb construction have been, which appears inside the scope of think. That kind of negation is perfectly acceptable, and, indeed, is one way to correctly say that one doesn't think that one has not ever been to a gas station. (It's like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!; can't and not are negating two different levels of modal operation, so it's fine.)

Now, if DO actually meant to imply that he hasn't been to a gas station, well, then, he said it wrong, but no syntactic error has occurred here.
Look, were there, or were there not, two negatives in that sentance?

And there is no way you would actually say something like that out loud. My point still stands, flawed though I admit it is.

The_Amaster
01-27-2007, 09:45 AM
*Oblivious to the grammer debate* Gahwd, don't get me started on public restrooms. Especially the ones at gas stations. More often then not the TP is on this wierd bar that makes it impossible to twist, so you can't get any off. Not to mention rusty sinks, etc etc.
Only the ones outside, though, interestingly enough. If the restrom is actually inside, than they take much better care of it.

Dragon Omega
01-28-2007, 11:42 PM
To defend myself, I wasn't thinking clearly when I typed that. Of course, YOU wouldn't be either if you were awake for over 24 hours. I was working on something the night before but I didn't keep track of the time. I didn't even use any aids ( CAFFEINE ) to stay awake, so obviously my normally decent grammer slipped a little.

And if you think real people wouldn't say that out loud, then you'll just have to talk to half my graduating class about that. If they are any indication, the human race is doomed.

And for the record, I meant that I have never been to a gas station where they locked the bathroom.

:mischief:

Seraphim Sniper
01-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Nice debate about whether or not a double negative occurred but did anyone notice the "I've have" in there. I think that would be a better error to point instead of instigating a double negative debate.

g.iaroos
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Well you guys are lucky, your gas stations HAVE bathrooms at least :P