PDA

View Full Version : Is he full of it?

phattonez
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Saturday night I was hit by a slow moving car (one of my friends was driving it, I thought he would stop), and I hit my knee on it pretty hard. I was limping pretty bad right after and I had to lift my leg into my car to drive away. By the time I got home, I felt fine. The next day, I was told my cousin about it, and he said that I should get it x-rayed because it could be fractured, but I could have no pain. Is this true?

biggiy05
01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
It's best to get an x-ray done just to be on the safe side because you never know what kind of damage it could do in the long run.

AtmaWeapon
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I am no doctor but you need not search far online to find horror stories of conditions that could have been easily remedied had the person sought immediate medical attention.

This combined with the fact that your knee is one of the most important parts in the mechanism of walking would lead me to suggest a paranoid x-ray just to be safe. However after re-reading the thread it sounds like the pain went away fast enough for nothing so if it's super expensive perhaps it's not worth it.

Tim
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Yes, get an x-ray. It could be broken and you not even know it. Then it will possibly heal wrong, creating complications in your future.

Modus Ponens
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
You should absolutely go see a doctor. At the very least, he or she will examine your knee the old-fashioned way ("Okay, does it hurt when I do this?" "Has there been swelling?" etc.), and if it is deemed appropriate, then an x-ray may be in order. But the doctor will know best, and it will be worth your dollars.

Prrkitty
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Go get it checked out hon. Proper care now can help avoid some problems down the road of time... ie: arthritis, bursitis and etc.

Plus if it's fractured you need to know that now.
<hug>

phattonez
01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I still have a small pain in it, but nothing too bad. I guess I'll make an appointment to get it checked out anyway.

One question though. If it is fractured, why would there be no pain?

MasterSwordUltima
01-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Because its not completly broken, and therefore no bone parts jutting out in places they shouldn't. It could be fractured and that the pain you felt after the accident was from just that, the accident. I'd get it checked out. Most insurance covers X-Rays I beleive [mine does].

Brasel
01-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm not saying don't do it, but I wouldn't. This is coming from the guy who only goes to the doctor when he's in excrutiating pain. I always tough it out through sickness and injury, even when I probably shouldn't.