PDA

View Full Version : Change the roomstate carry-over boxes to type-in-number boxes

beefster09
01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
As dropdown boxes, it's very tedious to get the screen you want, however, it's different with the Dmap box. So with roomstate carry-over boxes, they should be type-in-number boxes.

Questions
01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Isn't it type-in already?

\me hasn't touched a beta since 12d.

beefster09
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
No, it was changed in beta 14, I believe. I'm just suggesting that it is changed back.

Shoelace
01-22-2007, 02:22 AM
I think it was changed like that because of a bug fix. But I could be wrong. Basically same thing happened to the pallete number. I used to press F4 and then type in the number, and now it is the scroll menu. Either way, it is just a small thing, see people like it, some don't. I agree though that I liked it a little better the old way.

beefster09
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Well I like the dropdown menus for anything you can name, and type-in boxes for anything you can't.

Petoe
01-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Dropdown boxes for the win!

Radien ZC
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Dropdown boxes are very nice from a programmer perspective because they prevent unpredictable user input.

If you have a type-in box, you have to do a bunch of extra bug-testing to make sure the program doesn't crash when the user types in "#$@W$R2343" ;)

Yeah, I know, people generally aren't going to try to break the program with garbage input like that. But how would you like it if the program crashed when you made a typo, like "8u" instead of "8"?

For the time being, I'll take dropdown boxes. It helps the devs work more quickly towards a stable release. *thumbsup*

Saffith
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
We actually have a standard field type just for hexadecimal numbers that prevents invalid characters from being entered. The only thing that would have to be checked is that the number entered was in the right range, which is quite easy. It was probably just changed to be consistent with the rest of the dialog, but it could certainly be changed back.

Radien ZC
01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
We actually have a standard field type just for hexadecimal numbers that prevents invalid characters from being entered. The only thing that would have to be checked is that the number entered was in the right range, which is quite easy. It was probably just changed to be consistent with the rest of the dialog, but it could certainly be changed back.
Well, yeah, that's true. But I would think that it'd also prevent users from trying to enter numbers for non-existent screens or maps.

...But then, I think these fields actually list all the maps and screens that ZC can handle, regardless of what the map count is...

So, er, I dunno. Just forget what I was saying. >_<; I guess I was just recalling my days working with beginner-level C++ and javascript, where we didn't have such an easy way to prevent garbage input, heh. ^^

Nicholas Steel
01-24-2007, 08:13 AM
drop down boxes only reduce user input errors.

Radien ZC
01-26-2007, 10:08 PM
drop down boxes only reduce user input errors.
Yes, I knew that...I just overestimated the importance of that fact.