PDA

View Full Version : Let's attach scripts to flags! =D

Nimono
01-20-2007, 01:27 PM
We all know we can attach scripts to Items, but what about Flags? I mean, what if we make items that we want to react to certain flags? If we could attach scripts to flags... Well, you get the idea. We could make No Dig flags to prevent certain enemies (Like Leevers) from appearing on them. We could make No Zora flags to prevent Zoras from appearing at certain spots. We could make flags that react only to our Custom Items. I don't wish for this to be implemented until a good chunk of the bugs currently in ZC are busted, but it could help. Plus, it'd be nice to have for a new item I'm working on. (I can "fake" the flag, but it'd be SO much nicer to have as a REAL flag. ;))

Questions
01-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Seconded.

_L_
01-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Scripts don't work like that. If my memory serves me correctly, they work like this:

* When a selected item is "used", and the item has a script, it runs the script.
* FFC scripts run every frame.

So, how do you make scripted flags? If a combo has a flag, then run the flag's script every frame? But doesn't that imply custom flags? A flag editor, at least?

Nimono
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, _L_ that is basically what I'm implying. And just so you know, it CAN wait until after 2.5 if you wish, since we've kinda got enough right now. :) So.... What do you say, _L_?

C-Dawg
01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
How would a flag-based script be different from an FFC-based script? I have no idea what you could do with one that you couldn't do with the other. If you want a custom flag effect, then just run a script on that screen that looks for a particular secret flag. Use tiered secrets to stop those secret flags from changing when you trigger other secrets.

No Leever and No Zora sound perfectly easy. Check their locations, and when they're on, say, Secret Flag 16, move them to the nearest combo without that flag. Whats the dealio?

DarkFlameWolf
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I agree with C-dawg.

Nimono
01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, if you say so. It was just a thought. Mind you, I'm still learning ZScript.