PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Wright - Ace attourney - Amazing game, some questions.

punkonjunk1024
01-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Alright, first off, this would be an EXCELLENT investment if you don't already have it for DS. It's an extremely fun game, and I don't usually like heavily text based adventures.

I'm curious of a few things, though. Is this based off of the japanese courtroom scenerio? In my limited knowledge (Very limited, I don't like stupid courtroom dramas, but I've seen a few shows, and movies, and know the jhist of it) it doesn't seem to follow american law even in the slightest. If I watched more law and order, I'm sure that would piss me off, but it didn't. *shrug* I had a few other questions, but I forgot them. Let's start with that.

gdorf
01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out, although my DS library is getting quite extensive :)

As for your question, I found the answer on Wikipedia in about 30 seconds. I am just curious , is it really that hard to search for this stuff online? Almost every one of your threads contains a specific question about your current fancy. Oftentimes, it seems like more work to type up your questions than it is to just find the answer. :shrug:

Its no skin off my back, I just think it'd be frustrating for you to wait two hours for a response to a pretty simple question.

Since this game is a courtroom drama, one might expect the differences in the Japanese and American legal systems to come into play. This is not entirely the case, however, as the game is discreetly set in the year 2016, allowing Capcom to improvise a little with the setting's legal customs.

goKi
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I'll post this for the benefit of everyone who has not played the game, hoping that at least one more person will play it. It's one of the best games going for the DS, and i'd highly recommend both (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Justice For All.)

It's set in the USA, In what's assumed to be Los Angeles about 10 years into the future. All cases now stand trial the day after the incident, meaning that the defendants have one day to find an attorney, while the police/government appoint a prosecutor (Edgeworth, Franziska, etc.) Trials can last for a maximum of 3 days, upon which a 'Gulity' or 'Not Guilty' verdict MUST be reached. Court is usually adjourned several times during this period so further investigation can take place. If the defendant is found to be Guilty, further judgement/sentencing will be made at a later date. If the defendant is 'Not Guilty', the court will be dismissed, and all charges dropped. Whether there is any reasonable doubt, a verdict will always be reached in 3 days.

Considering my current incident with the law/court system, i'm begging for a Phoenix Wright style legal system.

mrz84
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I've wanted to play these games, but I'm poor and can't afford a DS. :kitty:

Aegix Drakan
01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Considering my current incident with the law/court system, i'm begging for a Phoenix Wright style legal system.

>_> yeah, but then Von Karma might end up as the prosecutor! Then you'd be screwed!

:P but seriously, it would be awesome to have a system like that.

Sute
01-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I first saw this game online, because someone made some flash thing about it where you'd type in the text, and they'd do the whole OBJECTION thing, and Phoenix would say what you wrote.

One thing my boyfriend and I did was have Phoenix count, since he was pointing up and down. It was just 30 minutes of fun.

I just really love this as far as I've seen, and it would be most excellent to own it. Since I make art, I totally love how well the sprites were made, and the huge variety of characters and the detail put into each one to make them each totally different from the next.

punkonjunk1024
01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out, although my DS library is getting quite extensive :)

As for your question, I found the answer on Wikipedia in about 30 seconds. I am just curious , is it really that hard to search for this stuff online? Almost every one of your threads contains a specific question about your current fancy. Oftentimes, it seems like more work to type up your questions than it is to just find the answer. :shrug:

Its no skin off my back, I just think it'd be frustrating for you to wait two hours for a response to a pretty simple question.

Honestly, I don't know. Since I was a kid, it was always easier to ask people, and if that failed, then delve into references, rather than the other way around. The convenience of the internet, and specifically, Wikipedia, hasn't quite been able to re-arrange that. *shrug*

I'm just about finished with the first, and I can't wait to begin the second. This game is so much fun.

A legal system like that would be pretty ridiculous, since it's more "guilty until proven innocent" than the other way around. And that sucks. Plus there is no jury. wtf? I don't know if I'd trust that old guy judge with my sentence.

erm2003
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
A legal system like that would be pretty ridiculous, since it's more "guilty until proven innocent" than the other way around. And that sucks. Plus there is no jury. wtf? I don't know if I'd trust that old guy judge with my sentence.

Exactly how is that different than how our legal system is treated anyway? ;)

punkonjunk1024
01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
heh, well, they're conceptually opposites. At least the one in the game is intentionally unfair, and amusing. Ours just turned out that way. :P