PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for a faster stable release.

Freedom
01-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Seems like "L" has disappeared since the push has been on to squash bugs and get it stablized, How about if you remove all of his unfinished additions and the ones that don't work, and maybe add them at a later time?

;)

beefster09
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
I suppose they can do that when they get really desperate, but I don't think it needs to be done right now.

Shoelace
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I think some of the things that _L_ is doing is a must actually. Because Roc's Feather and the String Editor, etc. was added, most of the things that _L_ is adding is a must for those things. Basically, it is just like the Item Editor, it is in there, but needs the last things to be finalized. So is the things that _L_ is adding, it just needs to be finalized.

But I do agree there can't be anything beyond this to be added. _L_ said in his new thread, that he is only going to do that, and nothing much. Hopefully he and everyone else to true to their word. But I will be there to back them up and bugtest, because I do agree we need the stable version.

Freedom
01-18-2007, 04:09 PM
You have your work cut out for you shoelace, I wish you luck.
It's going to take a year just to find all the bugs, let alone fix them.
I'll check back.

Nimono
01-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Edit: I'll shut up now. :O

Dart Zaidyer
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
How about you guys do what I want, and to hell with everyone else's wants and needs for ZC?

Fixed.

Zelda Classic has needed for a very long time what has only recently been finally added. If you want to ignore that on your own time, that's fine, but I will openly oppose any attempt to ruin it for those of us who count on these features in their own quests.

jman2050
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
If neccesary, we will remove anny unfinished features before release.

As for the rest of this thread... *bangs head on wall*

Freedom
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Fixed.

Zelda Classic has needed for a very long time what has only recently been finally added. If you want to ignore that on your own time, that's fine, but I will openly oppose any attempt to ruin it for those of us who count on these features in their own quests.

Mis quoted me a bit there didn't you dart?
Why is it when people can't get what they want by honest means they always result to lying?

Zelda Classic has needed a STABLE RELEASE for a good while longer then it's needed any of what's going in it now.

Some of us, unlike you dart, actually like to build and release quests on a consistant level... not like one every 5 years.
EDIT.... ooops my mistake, I thought you released one back in the 190 days but seems I can't find it in the database....
HAVE YOU EVER released one?
Yet you want to stop cold those of us who do, so you can have more features to play with and NOT release?

Petoe
01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Mis quoted me a bit there didn't you dart?
Why is it when people can't get what they want by honest means they always result to lying?

Zelda Classic has needed a STABLE RELEASE for a good while longer then it's needed any of what's going in it now.

Some of us, unlike you dart, actually like to build and release quests on a consistant level... not like one every 5 years.
EDIT.... ooops my mistake, I thought you released one back in the 190 days but seems I can't find it in the database....
HAVE YOU EVER released one?
Yet you want to stop cold those of us who do, so you can have more features to play with and NOT release?

Heh, all I can do is to qute Freedom all the time as he always hits the nail in the head. ;)

Questmakers like Freedom work their butts off for quests, and they release quests at a constant basis. They have every reason to be upset at ZC and its developers. Guys like Dart Z can never understand what it is like to trying to build a quest in a buggy environment. Has anyone else just stopped to think about what was the last time we had a "stable reelase"? It was many YEARS ago (Zc 1.92 b183) and even that had it's annoying bugs!

This is like the best suggestion I've ever seen posted on these forums and if the developers can "add in" this "feature", you'll never see a word of complaint from me.

Freedom
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Quite right Petoe
Castle Haunt II and Link to Tortuga were both built in the 183, and then released in the 2.10 only because I was foolish enough to upgrade them to that right before they were completed.
Since the release of Link to Tortuga, the only thing I have released is CH III which was in the 2.11b10b and I was very disappointed with it, and I quess everyone else was too since it has gotten almost no recognition because people don't want to be forced to use the 2.11b10b to play it, and PureZC refuses to allow quests in that version to be placed on their servers database.

I've been working on The Adventures of Robinhood since 2005 now, and have completely started over once after a complete overworld and 4 levels were done because of the 2.10 shop bug, built a whole new tileset while waiting for a stable release, and am still waiting for a version I can actually use to finish it in.

but..... Like dart says, I'm just being selfish and trying to keep him and others like him from having their much needed features to play with.

If neccesary, we will remove anny unfinished features before release.

As for the rest of this thread... *bangs head on wall*

Just for the record, you guys are taking this thread way too seriously, I was just pulling on _L_'s chain a bit, note the ;) in my first post.

Revfan9
01-19-2007, 06:38 AM
*sigh*

Heh... Freedom. I understand your viewpoint, and so do a lot of other people here. The one thing I don't understand is why you restarted such a great quest just because of a single bug, that was fixed. I've restarted quests before, but only due to design issues, and I always worked around bugs, but that is beside the point.

My complaint is not, by any means that you desire bugfixes and a stable release, and that you are willing to give up features to use in it so you can have something bug-free faster. That is not my complaint. Many, many of us want a stable release to call something to finish our quests in, the developers included. My complaint, however, is that you simply do not shut up about it. How many "major" threads have you turned into one very, very similar to this one? Three or Four, perhaps? If you think that you have to repeat yourself so many times in such an obnoxious way, think again. During Chat Convorsations with jman, he just stops talking for sometimes hours before coming back. Whenever I ask him "Where has he been", he always seems to answer "Fixing (Insert Bug/s here)".

Yet, with everything that the developers are doing to fix these bugs, including releasing betas much more regularly in order to find more bugs, you don't seem to be giving this any recognition, or any gratitude for how hard the developers work. _L_ posts a thread declaring what he is going to finish, and swearing to not do any more, yet you still complain. Several bugs are fixed every day, yet, you still complain. It just seems to me that you will not appreciate what you have and what you are promised no matter how much the effort of others goes into it. My complaint, simply, is that you complain far too much.

elise
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Several bugs are fixed every day, yet, you still complain. It just seems to me that you will not appreciate what you have and what you are promised no matter how much the effort of others goes into it. My complaint, simply, is that you complain far too much.
and more bugs that are fixed are made everyday by adding new stuff :googly:
They just asked several times there even was a poll about it to stop adding new stuff and adding new bugs ...........there comes a point that enough is enough ..............Freedom is a questmaker and the only thing he needs is a bugfree version to make quests .....if that will never see the light then why would he make quests .Does he have reasons to complain yeah in my vision he has everyright , someone has to stand up for the questmakers ;)

ShadowTiger
01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Just for the record, you guys are taking this thread way too seriously, I was just pulling on _L_'s chain a bit, note the ;) in my first post.I can never tell. ... It's a REALLY powerful smily. http://www.purezc.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/icon_heh.gif

I can second / confirm Revfan's observations about jman's frequent absences. He's usually in chat, and I can barely hold onto his attention for ten seconds without him going off to fix a bug or two. Or three. Or four. There are other devs in the channel and the channels nearby as well. Koopa is in there often and fixes quite a few bugs on his own time. They're really not slacking off.

Quite honestly, I'm constantly afraid that as much as we quest builders want a stable release and fight for it, the devs are fighting just as hard, if not harder to ensure that it happens, but just don't have the numbers and force to convey that message onto us, ... the amount of comments on how much a stable release is desired is overwhelming. They know just as well as you do that the more features they cram in, the more bugs will appear. Eventually even they won't be able to sort out the bugs from the features, and will metaphorically die out, mentally. They don't want to reach that point. It's a goal of theirs to ensure it never reaches that point. ... ... which brings me to my next point.

We don't know what's going on in their heads... We don't know what's going on in that big secret developers forum of theirs where they discuss what changes are too hard to make and what shouldn't be implemented out of the chance for bugs...

So we don't know if they're actually going to implement anything new. They could be doing anything from adding one more tiny little feature, to going through with _L_'s thread up above, or just going to fix all of the bugs and get a stable release out.

If we can't see what they're doing, then our inclination is to keep complaining about it and to bug them for a stable release with no new features. This aggravates the developers even further. It's not in their best interest to make the people unhappy, but the more complaints that are sent their way, the more unhappy it makes them. Sure, they may have "dug their own grave," as the claim may be, but nobody needs to continually pound them over the head with the shovel if they're already out there fixing the bugs.

Revfan9
01-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Well, ST pretty much summed up what I had to say.

Aside, I find the ;) simlie to be, well... Smug. Meh.

Radien ZC
01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I was going to post in support of one or two posts here, but if everybody's going to just bicker about it, then never mind.

Hopefully saying this will suffice:

I'd really like to see a stable release of ZC within the next 6 months. And by stable, I'm hoping for something about as stable as version 1.92 beta 184 (or better). All the newest features in the betas are essentially unavailable for the purpose of finished quests, since PureZC's database doesn't even accept quests not created in an official stable release.

Nicholas Steel
01-23-2007, 03:26 AM
a stable release was expected in only months... but then scripting got added and the time for a stable release since scripting was added has increased exponentially... can we have a stable build based off of a version right before scripting was added? or not?

6 months is friggin ages away... jman was expecting to have a stable release out already but hell no... we gotta keep adding shit to the pile of shit coating the last (decently) stable build to make the shit bigger thus making the release date for a stable build no where near what was first thought of for a release date.

hopes he worded it all right. :) im with you freedom... i havn't touched my quests in zquest since beta 10b except for maybe making quick glances at what options are present.

HOWEVER something i don't appreciate much at all is the amount of winging you make freedom... i have kept most of my whining in threads you already contaminated freedom... please try to keep yourself controlled and stop saying your gonna go on a holiday unless you actually are gonna take a break.