PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew/modding for burned games for PS2, and GC?

punkonjunk1024
01-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Topic. Also, where can I get the chips or parts I would need to play burned games and homebrew for either systems. Please, keep the moral debate elsewhere, I'm not interested.

Darth Marsden
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Hang on, let me check my PS2.

EDIT: Okay, I got mine from www.gameworlddirect.co.uk (and they stuck their sticker all over the bloody thing), but since I'm guessing you're in the States, that won't be much help. Google for 'PS2 Mod Chip' and you should get a few US sites that do what you're after.

punkonjunk1024
01-16-2007, 06:45 PM
After some search, I found a few things for PS2, (GC is alot harder :/ nothing is specific) would a swapper be as effective of a PS2 burned game player as a mod chip? http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.php
That one sounds nice.

MasterSwordUltima
01-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Didn't newegg.com do modchips and the such? If not I'm sure mod-chips.com has some ready to be shipped.

Swappers are superior in my opinion. No need to mess up factory hardware.

punkonjunk1024
01-16-2007, 06:49 PM
alright, so PS2 is solved. a 30 dollar swapper is where it's at, I appreciate the help on that one. Now, GC.
Couldn't I get one of these -
http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=gccoverbl&Category_code=GC
and be able to just burn GC games onto DVDs? I don't want to have to purchase more expensive Mini-dvds to put GC games and stuff onto, but so far I haven't seen anything about running backup games in the GC modchip sections of websites.

MasterSwordUltima
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Not when its sold out you can't. When it comes back in stock, I'd totally go for it, or just dremel away at your original case, or buy a cheapy case and dremel it. Then opt for the mod-chip.

punkonjunk1024
01-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Alright. But is there any documentation on being able to run backups on modded GC's? Isn't there some strange problem with the way it reads the first bit of the disk, or something?

Also, back on PS2 - Can I just burn my PS2 games normally, onto normal DVD's, and my PS1 games onto CDs? Do I burn the image, or burn it exactly as it is? Will I need something like blind read, or will windows burn it just fine?

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

MasterSwordUltima
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I just copied games onto DVD/CDs using windows, and they worked fine. If you wanna be sure, just download Nero Burning Rom off download.com. Use up the free trial, then uninstall, remove registeries, then reinstall. :)

I haven't heard of any GameCube copied-disc problems...

War Lord
01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I would suggest sending Mottzilla a PM or AIM. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

MottZilla
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
For PS2, depending on your model you have different options. The best if you have the FAT PS2, is to get the Network adapter and a HardDisk to install with it into your PS2. Then you can use the Memory Card Exploit to run a program called "HDLoader" that runs PS2 games direct from the harddisk.

Alternatively, the SwapMagic with swapping tools (Slide tool, Fliptop Cover replacement, or magic keys for pstwo) are very good too. Two important things though. SwapMagic doesn't boot PS1 copies or imports. You need a PS1 swapping disc like "PS XChange2". Second, you need a good DVD/CD burner with good CD-R or DVD-R media when you burn games. Using low quality of either could result in a decreased life of your PS2 or games not working or suffering in load times. Use reasonably good quality media and burners.

For GameCube, I suggest you softmod. This involves using Action Replay. Two options exist for it, one is the GameCube Memory Card hack where your Action Replay will load something off your hacked memory card to run copies. The other is the SDLoad method which is better that gives you more freedom with launching things to run copies or homebrew.

I suggest you buy a Action Replay Disc, a SD Adapter for GameCube, and a Sd memory card if you don't have one, reader/writer too if you don't have that either. After that you my want a replacement case if you want to use full size discs, though I recommend you buy Memorex Mini DVD-Rs or Fujifilm Mini DVD-Rs.

If you need more detail just ask.

Lotus_Eater
01-16-2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.iso420.org/ngc.htm
http://www.tehskeen.com

I use a Maxdrive Pro on my GC, but it depends on what you want to use. I have no experience with the other form of modding so, take it with a grain of salt.

punkonjunk1024
01-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I have nero, so that basically takes care of that part. So now I can just burn all my PS1/ps2 games with that, and with those two swapping tools, I don't have to do anything else? I'm looking for the easiest, and cheapest.
I knew mott would be a big help, :P
Um, mott, can you link to the SD stuff for GC? I could prolly pick up AR at like, walmart maybe, or at least at a used store, but that sounds pretty complicated. Is there anything I can do so I can just used burned miniDVD's as games? I guess... What's easiest for GC piracy?

MottZilla
01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
There is no truely "easy" way because there is no true swap trick. The discs are I think BCA encrypted. The easiest way after you setup the thing would be to install a modchip. But the install is more difficult. Now I tried looking breifly for a GameCube SD adapter but could not find one. This means it's more likely you'll need someone to hack a gamecube memory card for you with the AR loader hack and use that. Basically once hacked you start AR, tell it to start the game, open and close the lid real quick and it'll load your program that lets you load backups.

Again, it's a bit complicated. PS2 however is easy. If you're ok with soldering then buy a modchip like XenoGC or NinjaMod. If not you should search around for a SD adapter. Sorry but I don't know where you could find one other than import shops as the official adapter is an import only item.

goKi
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
GC Modchip installation is pretty easy. Try a chip called 'XenoGC'. after that, you can do one of two things, leave the top part of the case off when you're playing a 12cm disk, or buy a modified case. Don't waste time with minidvds, most dvd burners reject them without proper firmware updates, which it seems my particular burner doesn't even have.

MottZilla
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
GC Modchip installation is pretty easy. Try a chip called 'XenoGC'. after that, you can do one of two things, leave the top part of the case off when you're playing a 12cm disk, or buy a modified case. Don't waste time with minidvds, most dvd burners reject them without proper firmware updates, which it seems my particular burner doesn't even have.

On the contrary, I've never had a single problem with Mini DVD-Rs. I recommend a NEC burner such as the NEC 2500A, which will burn them just fine.

The XenoGC and other 2nd gen modchips are good ones to try if you can handle the installation, but he hasn't said wether or not he can.

punkonjunk1024
01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
a NEC burner, as in a new CD burner? Too expensive. I'd rather mod it to play full-size DVD's.

So right now, for cheapest, and not using a stupid pro action replay thing, would be a mod chip, and a new case cover? Otherwise, I'd have to buy an SD adapter, a pretty big SD for the games, (How big are GC games?) and an AR, right? I'd rather mod it, if this is the case.

MottZilla
01-18-2007, 01:34 AM
No no no. First off the SD card was never for storing GameCube games on. It's for storing a secondary bios program on called GameCube OS.

Also, the cost of a replacement case is so much that a new DVD burner is maybe a couple bucks more. Check newegg.com for a good NEC drive like I mentioned. If you want to go the most direct route, buy a XenoGC somewhere like www.divineo.com (I've used them) and install that. Buy a good DVD burner like a NEC 2500A. Buy some Memorex or Fujifilm Mini DVD-Rs. Burn em, pop em in and they boot.

I can't vouche for this model, but here is a NEC DVD writer on NewEgg that probably would work fine. Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152076)