PDA

View Full Version : Would You Have a Cornea Transplant in my Position?

Monica
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, I've been so wrapped up in stuff I haven't been back here very much. City of Heroes is awesome. ^_^ Anyway, I thought I'd come and make a discussion...

Last week my eye doctor said my eyes were healthy enough that I could start considering a cornea transplant for my left eye. He said he wasn't pushing for it though, but if I wanted it I could have it.

Pros:
~ I would be able to see out of both eyes (I'm totally blind in my left eye)

Cons:
~ I'm a high-risk patient and chances are only 50-50
~ My left eye's vision would NOT be 20/20, at most it would be as good as my right eye's vision
~ It could possibly be temporary, lasting anywhere from a day to a few years, and then it could cloud up again
~ Even if it worked, if it was rejected and failed it would destroy my eye and I'd need a glass eye
~ I'd have a cornea out of a dead person's body

Now, naturally I'm not gonna do that, I'll save it as a backup in case something happens to my right eye. But I realize I dunno what it's like to see out of both eyes and I'm wondering if anyone who does would think it was worth it. If you were to lose vision in one eye would you risk all of that to get it back?

ShadowTiger
01-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Hm. The differences really aren't that great, as far as I can tell. The second to last point in the CONS list you made is more than enough for me to think twice, .. nay, .. thrice about it. I don't believe I would do it.

biggiy05
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
There are too many long term risks involved that would keep me from doing it. My friend can't see out of his right eye and he is also color blind but it doesn't keep him from doing things. IMO I wouldn't go through with it because of the risks involved. If it were more of a sure thing then it would be a different story.

MottZilla
01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Put me down for a no. Risks outweight the benifits, and you are used to things as they are already. And besides, by waiting, it's always possible technological/medical advances could be made to give you better options.

elise
01-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Monica
I have one blind eye , my right one I am born with it and don't know how it would be seeing with two eyes . I more then once have thought what I should do if there would be something they can do about it.............and you know I don't think I would go for it. I can do what I want with my one eye drive my car see everything I want to see , read .....I am used to it and nobody who look me can see I have it ( it's moving like an eye that can see ) , I would be afraid that seeing with two eyes would turn around against me , my brain would have to deal with all that extra info and isn't trained for it ;)

Monica
01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Monica
I have one blind eye , my right one I am born with it and don't know how it would be seeing with two eyes . I more then once have thought what I should do if there would be something they can do about it.............and you know I don't think I would go for it. I can do what I want with my one eye drive my car see everything I want to see , read .....I am used to it and nobody who look me can see I have it ( it's moving like an eye that can see ) , I would be afraid that seeing with two eyes would turn around against me , my brain would have to deal with all that extra info and isn't trained for it ;)

lol, yeah I feel the same way, Elise. How would my brain comprehend seeing out of my left eye? It would be so weird! :googly: :eek: My right eye corrects up to 20/80 so the transplant would be around there.

elise
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I really think it isn't so bad having one eye and look a little clumbsy every now and then , I rather walk into a pole cause I was looking at something else then walk into it cause I see 2 and don't know what the real one is :D

Monica
01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I really think it isn't so bad having one eye and look a little clumbsy every now and then , I rather walk into a pole cause I was looking at something else then walk into it cause I see 2 and don't know what the real one is :D

:rofl:

Modus Ponens
01-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Do you know how much depth perception you'd gain? Would it be full, or partial, or none, or what?

Nicholas Steel
01-17-2007, 08:40 AM
there was no point in suggestion full depth perception... and uh... it would make it so that you no longer have to put more effort into focusing on stuff... because you would have to compensate from looking at it from 1 side of your head... where as with 2 eyes you would look at an object between your 2 eyes and would instantly know its directly in front and wouldnt need to compensate at all....

id still not go through with it purely because the cons out weigh the pros.

mrz84
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
:odd: I'd have to say a big no. I'd rather stay half blind than risk that kinda thing.

AtmaWeapon
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd like clarification of the phrase "chances are 50-50"; do you mean chances of survival or chances of the procedure's success?

Assuming you mean chance of success I'd go for it if I had the money. From what I understand, you are completely blind in the left eye so there's not much to lose there. In the best-case scenario you will know what it is like to see with both eyes; in the worst-case scenario you lose something that technically you don't have anyway.

Now granted, you seem pretty comfortable with the idea of not having the procedure done so I'm not really going to urge you to get it done. You seem more worried about the potential side effects than curious about having both eyes so I say stick with what makes you comfortable.

Deep down my choice is kind of irresponsible because the first thing I thought about the worst-case "lose an eye" scenario was how I'd get custom design glass eyes like that guy in Last Action Hero http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/emot/xd.gif

redmage777
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
The real reason why someone would not want to lose an eye, even if its a blind one is that it may look like a perfetly normal eye for all other purposes. If yes then I understand not wanting to lose it. Glass eyes take time to adjust to the muscles around them and there for would not look even close to natural for some time.

Oh, about the 'Dead persons body" thing, Its not like they have any use for it.

Monica
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
About depth perception, I have NO idea what that is...lol... I have no clue about it. I just look at stuff and see what I see.

50-50 means chance of success, lol... actually, my eyes are all ready different shapes because of surgeries, maybe a glass eye would make it look more like my other eye...

My mom said glass eye is they worst case and that would only happen if EVERYTHING else went wrong. Actually she thinks I should still keep it in mind but wait til my doctor thinks it's a really good idea, and if my eye keeps being healthy, and I think I agree with that, it's possible under the right circumstances, and I WOULD have vision even if it was just like my other eye.

I just had to get over the complete creepiness of what would actually happen.

Shyvus
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Do you know how much depth perception you'd gain? Would it be full, or partial, or none, or what?

Depth perception is so overrated. I used to have none. Then my vision was corrected.

I still walk into shit.

I say don't bother.

...Though a glass eye would be cool. Way to freak people out.

Still, I say don't bother. Surgery sucks. Especially in your eyes. Espacially if it's not permanent.

Monica
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Surgery sucks.
Had plenty

Especially in your eyes.
Had many

Espacially if it's not permanent.
It wasn't.

Hehe, what I mean is, I've had plenty of surgeries all over my body AND in my eyes, and I've had the same surgery on my eyelid multiple times.

So basically I'm agreeing, lol. :)

jessethe2nd
01-18-2007, 02:40 AM
The biggest positive impact the surgery could have is an increased viewing range. Having both eyes allows you to see the full 180 or so degrees infront of you, with one you would have about a 60 degree blind spot on the side with a blind eye. The size of the blind spot would depend largely on the size and placement of your nose.

I suppose having your nose removed would have a similair effect, but that would be as bad if not worse than the eye surgery.

As for the glass eye possibility... having one would probably drive me nuts...

If I was in your position I would go for the surgery just for the increased viewing range. Well if you do for it GL, if not I don't blame yah... glass eye (creepy)

Nicholas Steel
01-18-2007, 03:26 AM
exactly... you wouldn't have to compensate and turn your head much due to having a full 180 degree view if it was successful...

also... having a glass eye would mean you'd have to clean it however much each day and maybe take it out when you go to sleep... and you don't know if it hurts or not to put your eye in and take it out...

to save the hassle you could just not risk the surgery.

Blonde799
01-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Monica... you seem to be facing quite the opportunity.

I would say to instead of making a decision based on fears, make one based on how you want to live. If you want to seek surgery, that's ok. If you choose not to have it and live as you do now, that's ok too. Just make sure it's what you really want.

Jigglysaint
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
As somebody who has partial vision in his left eye, I would say that you really arn't missing that much. Yeah sure it sucks that you can't see to your left, but I've made do with one and a half eyes all my life, and unlike your condition, my blindness is utterly incurable(an optic nerve was never connected).

I highly suggest you make this decision prayerfully.

Monica
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Thank you all for your nice supportive replies. :) Actually, now that I have a widescreen Monitor, I realize how limited my vision is. It's also weird at the movies. It's like I'm perminantly stuck in Fullscreen mode. Maybe since everything is becoming widescreen, I need an upgrade, lol! :p

Modus Ponens
01-19-2007, 02:52 AM
My advice comes in two parts.

Part 1: Don't take advice from people on the internet.
Part 2: Have the transplant. What you will gain may be incredible for you, and I think I would do it if I were in your shoes.

Monica
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Part 2: Have the transplant. What you will gain may be incredible for you, and I think I would do it if I were in your shoes.

Oh no! Don't think I am basing my descion on these posts, although I do appreciate the support. :) I just thought it would be an interesting thread is all.

Nicholas Steel
01-19-2007, 10:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... sorry, but part 2 cant be taken seriously due to part 1.

erm2003
01-19-2007, 10:48 PM

OK, I am glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking this! :laughing:

Monica
01-20-2007, 12:15 AM

Oh my gosh, I completely missed that, sorry. ^_^ Nice :lol: