PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda: Fragmented Land

tharsis26
01-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, after 6 months I finally finished my quest. Its entitled Fragmented Land and its intended to be a sequal of the original Zelda for the NES. Here are a couple screenshots
http://www.4shared.com/file/2941822/46fec75/zelda1.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/2941824/ed0c4940/zelda2.html

It has 10 dungeons, a large overworld, and I think a neat story. It very much has a classic Zelda feel, but I used the BS tileset. The game should be harder than the original Zelda, but let me know if its too hard or too easy. I used the 2.11 beta 10 editor to get rid of the animation glitches with the BS tileset. I created a website for the game, complete with dungeon maps and hints. You can also download the game from there. The site is http://zeldafragmentedland.bravehost.com/

If you don't have the beta player, its available on my site, as is the BS tilest. They are in one complete zip file for easy installation. If there are any mistakes in the game please let me know. If there are any, they should be minor. I've had a couple people play through it several times already and most of the mistakes have been taken care of.

ms_zelda_lady
01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I would liked to have tried out your quest but since I only have winzip and not winrar I can't. Can you sent me just the qst file?
Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

tharsis26
01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I'll post .zip files on my site right now. It will take a few minutes. Let me know if you have any problems.

ms_zelda_lady
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to change it to a zip file. I'll be downloading it to play later tonight.
ms_zelda_lady

tharsis26
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok, all set, .zip files are on my website now. Enjoy!

ms_zelda_lady
01-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Very nice quest. I love the music and the overworld is beautiful. I've found level 2 and 3 but I haven't found level 1. I've already bought the candle, shield and the arrow. Please can you point me in the direction of level 1?
Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

P.S. I love the way you set it up to get into level 3. Very cool!

tharsis26
01-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Ms_Zelda, I'm glad you like the quest so far. Level 1 will be along the left edge of the overworld, a few screens down from where you spawn at the start of every game. There is an arrow of rocks that points north. Follow the arrow until you come to the entrance. I have a overworld hint map for download on that webpage if you ever get really really stuck, which you will I'm sure!!

ms_zelda_lady
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll go back and check it out.

ms_zelda_lady

diannew
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
When I open up the game I get a message file not found. Obviously the beta version of 211 is not working. Any suggestions. The files seem to be all there.

Dianne

fajz
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Can you play this on 2.10?

tharsis26
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Dianne I haven't actually heard of that problem before (maybe its on the help forums?). It may be a bug with the beta but I'm not sure. I used the beta because the BS tileset animations are all screwed up with 2.10. So far, it has worked well for everyone who has played it without any significant bugs. Tell me this, did you download just the game file on its own from my site and play it on your own player or did you download the folder from my site that has the game file, tileset, and zelda-w player? You need to make sure the tileset, game file, and player are in the same folder. Also, check what directory Zelda-w is trying to read to play the game. Is it possible that it is looking in a directory that doesn't have the game file? Let me know if you get it working. If you didn't download the folder with the player and game included from the site, give it a try! If you don't change the name of the folder zelda-w should automatically point to that folder to find the game.

tharsis26
01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Fajz, no, it won't work with 2.10 because there are animation mistakes with 2.10 and I added a couple things only 2.11 beta can do. It works fine on my comp (windows XP) without any major bugs or glitches. If you are interested in playing just download the first file that includes the 2.11 player and game file. Don't change the folder name and the game should load right up.

diannew
01-17-2007, 08:16 AM
When I check the files there isn't one that says tileset. As all I do is play the games and know nothing about how to make them or what should or shouldn't be there, I'm at a loss. Is there a missing file?

Dianne

tharsis26
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Dianne, download the folder from the first link on the site that says player and game file (if you have already done it, delete all the old files from my game and try this again). Extract the folder, but whatever you do don't change the folder's name. The folder should say New Beta ZC. In that folder is the quest file the tileset for Zelda BS and the player, it has everything you need to play so you don't need anything else. Now, in the folder, when you open the player and register your name, load the custom quest. The player should automatically browse to the New Beta ZC folder with the quest file that you need (assuming that you didn't change the name of anything). Fragmented Land.qst should be in the list. You should also see 1st.qst and a couple other things. Select fragmented land and everything should work, unless there is some problem between the beta player and your computer. If so, that would be a question for the ZC help forums. I know sometimes peoples comps don't like certain versions of Zelda-W. My friend e-mailed me yesterday and said he had a problem with it saying file not found too, but it was because he had changed the folder name to something else and the player didn't know where to look for the game, it tries to look in the New Beta ZC folder first. Ok, let me know if you can get it to work. I also have directions on my webpage. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Zelda Classic so I apologize if these directions are too basic. Nick

Crackers
01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I need help with lv2. Have been all over the level and can't find the boss key. Can you please tell me where it is?
I'm not having any problems, it seems to be working fine.

tharsis26
01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Crackers, the boss key is hidden in the room with the boss key door. One of the blocks that surround the room can be struck with the boomerang. I tried to make it so that that specific block type (not the normal block type) is a trigger for secrets in alot of the dungeons. Sometimes you need to use your sword, sometimes the arrow, sometimes the boomerang. Also, don't forget to check the website, it has full maps of all the dungeons with the boss key and magic item labeled.

Crackers
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to check out the website right now.

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 03:56 AM
I posted a game update on my website. I made some fairly minor changes, nothing that greatly effects the game, but one change provides a better hint in a crucial area later in the game. Another change effects the text of the guy at the entrance of the black area at the upper right of the overworld map. What he said before didn't make much sense. If you want the update just go to my site and download the quest file. Then replace the quest file you already have. Nick

diannew
01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Dianne, download the folder from the first link on the site that says player and game file (if you have already done it, delete all the old files from my game and try this again). Extract the folder, but whatever you do don't change the folder's name. The folder should say New Beta ZC. In that folder is the quest file the tileset for Zelda BS and the player, it has everything you need to play so you don't need anything else. Now, in the folder, when you open the player and register your name, load the custom quest. The player should automatically browse to the New Beta ZC folder with the quest file that you need (assuming that you didn't change the name of anything). Fragmented Land.qst should be in the list. You should also see 1st.qst and a couple other things. Select fragmented land and everything should work, unless there is some problem between the beta player and your computer. If so, that would be a question for the ZC help forums. I know sometimes peoples comps don't like certain versions of Zelda-W. My friend e-mailed me yesterday and said he had a problem with it saying file not found too, but it was because he had changed the folder name to something else and the player didn't know where to look for the game, it tries to look in the New Beta ZC folder first. Ok, let me know if you can get it to work. I also have directions on my webpage. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Zelda Classic so I apologize if these directions are too basic. Nick

Thanks for the help but I now think I know what's wrong. When I ask my unzipper to "extract here" it does but when I ask it to "open" it tells me there is and error in the files. Do you have any idea of another site where I can download the 211 b player?

Dianne

fajz
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Where's the Ladder? I need it to get to Level 3.

FZ

Never Mind. Nice hint about fire and bridging water gaps.

Nicholas Steel
01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
a) winrar is completely free and still lets you use it after it expires.
b) it is always best so far to play quests in the same version that they were made in.
c) you shouldnt force people to download the player with the quest... the player should be made as a seperate download so as to reduce file size for thos who already have 2.11 beta 10.

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Fajz, the entrance to level 3 doesn't require the ladder or the raft. It requires something else. Level 3 is in the middle of the inland sea. There is a long bridge that extends from the north to the south. But, on the bridge there is a water gap. You have to do something to that water so you can cross. There is an information dealer nearby in a cave that might be able to help you. The item I use for this secret wasn't used like this in past Zelda's but I wanted to make it do something different. Look around, see if you can figure it out. If not, I will tell you what to do.

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Franpa, With regards to the downloads on my site. Number 1, I don't force people to download anything :) . Number 2, I give the option to download the quest file alone without the player for those out there that have it already. If they don't have the player then they would need it to play my quest anyway so they would need to download both. Number 3, in order to play a BS Zelda game (as you know) you need the exported tileset files to see the BS graphics. If I made a download for the player and the quest seperate it would create more confusion for those folks who don't have the proper tileset (it already happened before when I had it like that). So, the game file download plus player download is more than that, its a single folder that allows someone who doesn't know much about Zelda Classic to download it, open it, and imediately begin playing with the nice BS tileset already included. If anyone out there is interested in getting just the beta player to play other people's quests I will go back online and find the location where I got the player. I think I googled it before. But I don't want to add it to my site.

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Dianne, I am so sorry that you are having all this trouble but I'm glad you are trying so hard to play my game! Do you want me to give you the files in another format perhaps? Maybe in an unzipped format? It would take longer to download but if there was some problem with your unzipping program then at least that might help. Here is a site to get 2.11 beta 10, but it is also an archive file. This is where I got it from so the file is essentially the same as the one on my site.

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90670

Not sure if it will do anything. One more question, when you extract the files you should get one folder named New Beta ZC. Do you see that folder when you are extracting? All the files should be in just that one folder. Also, I use Winrar to extract all my .zip and .rar files. Its a great program and its free. If you want to download it, here is the site. This might fix your problem. Nick

http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250-10007677.html

Crackers
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Where is the bait for lv5. I got everything else and got as far as the boss door. From what I can tell on the map, I've been to all the rooms. Now I'll have to go through again.

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the file not found thing described by Dianne?

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Crackers, ah yes, the bait. Sorry about that one. I know its a crappy move on my part to put it right before the boss but I thought level 5 was a little too easy. The bait is in a store on the overworld map. Go to the southern desert. You'll see a bomb cave blocked by two posts. Hit the posts with the white sword and enter the cave. I think its like 100 or 120 rupees.

Crackers
01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks, going to go buy some bait. I didn't think lv5 was so easy, but not hard either. How come the small wallet doesn't show up or the boss key when you get it? What other item won't show up if you buy them?

tharsis26
01-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Crackers, I don't actually know how to make extra items that weren't in the original zelda show up in the menu screen. If someone could teach me that, that would be great! Those are the only two items that don't show up though I believe. At least with the wallet the rupees tell you that it is there. Congrats on level 5. Level 6, 7, and 8 get much harder! I would recommend finding the reflect shield soon, hint hint.

Crackers
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
I finished lv5 and have been hunting all over for 6. Finally went to the web site and now just don't know how to get in. Guess I have to go back and see what it is I missed.

tharsis26
01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey Crackers, once again there is an item that will help you gain entrance to level 6. If you ever played the second quest of the original Zelda you will remember that one of the items can be used to open up hidden entrances. Just play around with what you have. Nick

Crackers
01-20-2007, 08:24 PM
If it's the bracelet I dont' have it. I'm back again to see what's on your web site so I can find the darn thing. Also I didn't see any hint for the armos maze. Is there one on the overworld?
I give up. I can't find the bracelet. Your maps dont' get big enough for me to see. I also don't make quests so I don't know where screen 28 is. I thought it was by the armos maze. I used everything I have to get into lv6. I have the ocarina, blue boomer, blue candle, bow and arrow, sm wallet and more bait.

tharsis26
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Crackers, are you downloading the full res maps? They are quite large and you can zoom in very close on them. They take a bit to download though, especially the overworld one. The power bracelet is in a fairly obvious location, just look for the area of grey like bricks near the center of the overworld map and there is an entrance. If you go in there you will get the bracelet. The bracelet allows you to push the rocks (on the screen imediately below the entrance to the bracelet dungeon) that will give you access to the south east portion of the overworld map. In the south east portion of the overworld map there is a cemetary with a question mark (level 6). You have to do something there to open up the level 6 entrance. Its always good to try to explore the entire overworld map before going into dungeons, there are hearts, coins, and some important items that will help you. Oh, and the iron maze is fairly short, only a combo of three directions will get you through, but its not a necesary area, there are other ways to get around it. There is a shop in the iron maze with the blue ring but I am sure you found that already. Nick

tharsis26
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Crackers, one more thing, when you get the power bracelet go around pushing every rock you can find. There are important things under them.

Crackers
01-21-2007, 01:50 AM
I finally found the bracelet. That was one area that I had not been in. I gave up on downloading the maps because I only have a dial up and it was taking too long so I gave up. I guess I wasn't in the graveyard. I found a question made out of rocks but not in a graveyard. Guess I will have to check the overworld map and see where it is. I also didn't find the mirror shield. I tried looking for it but I must not be too good on directions. I haven't given up yet. Still hanging in there. How about an easy hint to the shield. ;)

tharsis26
01-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Crackers, you're doing great so far, doing better than hanging in there. I did make the quest harder on purpose. Namely because as an older gamer the original Zelda seems a bit easy. Anyway, the question mark I am speaking of is made of gravestones and its in the southeast corner of the older world. Once you are in that area try using your different items to open the door. As far as the shield goes, there is a hint to its location in a cave somewhere in the overworld. I will give you that hint. The hint is, next to a waterfall there is a path. That path leads to a place that you can bomb. Thats what I'll give you for now. Sorry about the file sizes, I know dial up folks will have a hard time with the full res maps. Have you tried downloading the low res maps, they are physically larger in size but the file size is smaller. How many hearts do you have right now by the way? Nick

Crackers
01-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Doing much better. I now know how to get to lv6 have gone into several areas and have found the sheild, the wand and the book. Now I just have to finish going through the level and get to the boss.

tharsis26
01-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Crackers, well done!

elise
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
No questions just want to let you know I am playing this ;)
so you know people actually are playing your quest even if they don't post
I am one step behind Crackers and enjoying the game , good work sofar :thumbsup:

tharsis26
01-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Elise, I'm glad you like it. The later levels get a little more difficult, especially if you don't find the reflect shield, red ring, and magic sword. They are all somewhat tricky to find. Let me know if you need any help. Nick

elise
01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I already have that shield but you can be sure if I need help that I am coming knocking at your door ;)

Crackers
01-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I can't find the magic sword. I read the hints but still can't find it. Some help from the start would be greatly appreciated,please. I checked out lv8 and since I have no hammer the white sword is not good enough for the darknuts.

tharsis26
01-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey Crackers, yeah the magic sword would be good for level 7 and 8. The magic sword is somewhere near the question mark thing (level 6). Its not under a gravestone like in the original Zelda but its somewhere in the nearby mountains. Think bombing and walk through walls! Then, once you find the correct screen with the sword you need to use one of your items that you recently acquired to get the entrance to open for you. Oh, and just so you know, the hints corner on the website has all the locations of the items. You said before that you didn't know what the letters (like 4F) meant. Its a coordinate that refers to a specific screen on the overworld map. There is a grid on the hints corner page that shows you what I am talking about. The 4 is the row and the F is the column on the overworld map. So, 4F would be one screen at the right edge of the map. Does that make sense? Ok, hope you can find it. Also, pay attention to walk through walls and don't always trust the dungeon maps for the later dungeons, there are hidden rooms, one of which holds the red ring in one of the last 3 dungeons. You will want that soon!

Avalee
01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello, I started to play the game and was a little surprised on how it goes from screen to screen so slow as I have not had that problem with other games. Then when I got to Level 1 changing from room to room was very very slow. Is anyone else having this problem?

Avalee

tharsis26
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Avalee, I haven't heard of that problem but I wouldn't be suprised if its an issue with your comp and the 2.11 beta 10 player (you are using 2.11 beta 10 right?). I know that the beta is less than perfect although it works fine for me and most people. As its not an issue with the game file itself I would post a message on the general discussion forum to see if its a bug related to the player or if its some setting in the player. I am relatively new to zelda classic so I don't know much about the inner workings and bugs. I just know how to make the games. Nick

Crackers
01-24-2007, 12:47 AM
I got the magic sword and you should be zapped with the magic wand young man. I knew where it was but getting there was cruel. ;)
I am now in lv7 but seem to only be going in circles. I can only find my way around the bottom half of both levels but not to the ring or candle. I've bombed areas that are never bombed just to see if you did more of those cruel things you should be zapped for. Can you get me going? I've played this level so many times in the same areas I tired of trying. :(

tharsis26
01-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Crackers, the level has only a few real doors. Most all the doors are walk-through walls. So, try to walk through every wall you see. The best way to start this level is when you enter the dungeon, immediately go left until you reach some water with ocarina symbols near it. Use the ocarina to freeze the water and open up some stairs. The stairs will take you to a room with some darknuts and boomerang guys (goriya). There are no doors in this room but you can go in all directions. You can walk through the upper wall to eventually get to a very important key, you can walk through the right wall to get to another key and to an entrance to another part of the dungeon, you can walk through the lower wall to get to the same place, and finally, you can bomb the left wall to get some coins. In almost every room there are no doors so try to go through all the walls and pay attention to the map you are making as you go. You will jump between the two floors to get everything you need with this one. That is a good starting point for level 7. The important thing is being able to find all the keys to access the important rooms. There is a key door at the very beginning of the level that you should open as soon as you find a key. The 2 secret items are on the second floor. Keep in mind that some important rooms are not displayed on the map! (hint, hint). OK, I know I'm mean, but think of it as a challenge! ha ha. I love mazes, and this dungeon is one of my favorites! Good luck!

DeVon
01-24-2007, 12:43 PM
How do you get to the boss key in lv.8?I have gotten to the room below the silver arrow but cannot open the door and can't get to the right side of the map to the boss key room.

diannew
01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Finally got quest to run using a higher 211 but for the life of me I can't find the boss key in Level 1 of all things!! Can someone help?:redface:

Thanks.

tharsis26
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
DeVon, ok, here's what you do. When you first enter the dungeon, go to the right. In that next room go north as far as you can until you can't go any further. Now, in that room, kill all the enemies and open up the shutter door on the right. When you go into the next room you will see a bunch of skulls on the ground. Break open all the skulls until you find the one covering the stair case. That will lead you to the right portion of the map. You will have to fight through a few more screens and take one or two more stair case until you get to the very top right of the map but you are now in the right area. Hope that helps, Nick

tharsis26
01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Dianne, I'm glad you got it working finally! OK, the level 1 boss key does mess alot of people up. There is a room on the second floor (I call it the second floor, its the second map of level 1) that has the red boomerang guys (goriya). In the middle of the room there is a boomerang shaped set of dark grey blocks. The shape of that set of blocks was hopefully supposed to trigger the thought to use your boomerang to strike the head block and open the stair case. That specific type of block will be used alot in my game as sort of a switch. If you see them, try to hit them with anything you have. Hope that helps, Nick

fajz
01-24-2007, 06:36 PM
L1 Boss Key Southern most room in East side of map. (Need Boomerang)

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm just curious to see how far everyone is in the game and how you like it so far. I know a couple of you were about ready to beat it. Nick

diannew
01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Dianne, I'm glad you got it working finally! OK, the level 1 boss key does mess alot of people up. There is a room on the second floor (I call it the second floor, its the second map of level 1) that has the red boomerang guys (goriya). In the middle of the room there is a boomerang shaped set of dark grey blocks. The shape of that set of blocks was hopefully supposed to trigger the thought to use your boomerang to strike the head block and open the stair case. That specific type of block will be used alot in my game as sort of a switch. If you see them, try to hit them with anything you have. Hope that helps, Nick

Thanks Nick, got the key and beat the boss. I guess I need a couple of levels before I figure you out. However, I'll keep trying.

Danne

DeVon
01-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm in lv.9,and have 15 hearts ,but am wondering where the last one is.
I can't get the overworld secrets map from your site to load so I don't
know where I missed it.

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
DeVon, have you found the heart under the skull at the bottom of the overworld map? You have to burn some large trees to get to it. Remember, the red candle burns the big trees. Thats the one I always forget when I play through. If thats not the one then let me know and I will give you other hints. Nick

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Dianne, a couple things I really like to do in this game is make blocks like switches and have secret walk through walls both on the overworld and in the underworld. So, try to bomb and walk through everything. Overall, its best to explore the overworld as much as possible after you get the items in each dungeon. There are treasures and rupees all over the place! Nick

Crackers
01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
This is scary but I'm in lv9. What are those little green speedy guys that I can't kill but they kill me? I only saw these in a quest one other time. Are you sure this quest is beatable?????????

elise
01-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Nick

I'm just curious to see how far everyone is in the game and how you like it so farI have just finished level 7 and hope to finish it this weekend . I have to admit that the amount of blue wizzards in level 6 was a little to much , certainly if you die and have to face them again with only 3 hearts , but I am still hanging in so it can be done ;)

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Crackers, level 9 huh? Thats awesome. Those werid green boomerang guys are Goriya level 3. They apparently take on your form as well as other enemy forms and they are invisible until they shoot. I usually just ignore them, but some rooms you do have to beat them. Hang in there, you're almost done! Nick

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi Elise, yeah, its a hard quest. I made it that way on purpose. I suppose I could release a version with less enemies but where would the challenge be in that! ha ha. Anyway, did you get the reflect shield yet? That makes clearing out the wizzrobes alot easier. Fortunately level 7 doesn't have wizzrobes but it does have some darknut which are always fun. OK, good luck! Nick

tharsis26
01-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey everyone, I posted an update of the game on my website that you might want to download, even if you are about to beat the game. I had to fix the golden ring item room in level 9. There were two death darknuts gaurding it instead of one. I only meant for there to be one, two is really really difficult! So, go ahead and download the update, unless you are up for the challenge of beating both of them. Just go to the site and download and write over just the game file. :) http://zeldafragmentedland.bravehost.com/

elise
01-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi Elise, yeah, its a hard quest. I made it that way on purpose. I suppose I could release a version with less enemies but where would the challenge be in that! ha ha. Anyway, did you get the reflect shield yet? That makes clearing out the wizzrobes alot easier. Fortunately level 7 doesn't have wizzrobes but it does have some darknut which are always fun. OK, good luck! Nick
Yeah I have the reflex shield but how long do you stay alive with a reflex shield , 3 hearts and surrounded by 15 blue wizzards ????? You may be happy if you can stay alive long enough to kill one ;) You call it challenge I call it certain dead and going back to the same room over and over again trying to get atleast one killed or till you have had enough and just stop playing :shrug:
Level 7 and 8 seem a breeze after 6 ;)

Crackers
01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Crackers, level 9 huh? Thats awesome. Those werid green boomerang guys are Goriya level 3. They apparently take on your form as well as other enemy forms and they are invisible until they shoot. I usually just ignore them, but some rooms you do have to beat them. Hang in there, you're almost done! Nick

How do you beat them? There are so many and what kills them? You can't get close to them.:( :( :( :(

sctmorgan
01-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Nevermind I figured out my problem.

tharsis26
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Crackers, I kill them by just swinging wildly or by laying down bombs. They go invisible, alot like Ganon did in the original zelda. I find they often give clocks when you kill them which is helpful. With the master sword two hits kills them regardless of if they are invisible or not. Do you have the red ring by the way? Just curious, it certainly helps to have that before you enter level 9.

Crackers
01-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Yes, I have the red ring so I'm all set to kick some butt, yeah, right :)

DeVon
01-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Where is the boss key for lv.9?

Imprisoned
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
This is a fine quest - the screens look very nice and detailed, you have
used much of different kinds of combos and tiles. Good work.

But I see that the screens are too much like Zelda 1, and the subscreens
are the originals.

I would give this quest 85/100. ;) Nice.

tharsis26
01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
DeVon, boss key for level 9 is on the second map in the upper right corner of the map. Did you get to the part of the dungeon where you freeze the lava? Its in that part of the dungeon. To access that part of the dungeon you have to go through a portal in a room of Patra (those whirly circular things with eyes). The patra room is on the second floor, after you fight through all those rooms with the classic enemies (gumdrop guys all the way up to the wizzrobes). Sorry I haven't put the level 9 map on my website yet. I probably should do that soon. Oh, did you download the game update from the other day? It makes getting the golden ring in level 9 alot easier. Nick

tharsis26
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey Imprisoned, thanks for the good review. This is my first quest so I wasn't sure how well it would come off. The consensus so far is that it may be slightly too difficult but still beatable. I still don't know much about editing the tilesets to make original things so I am stuck with the classic look. But, on that note, I was going for the classic feel. The first Zelda is still my favorite and I thought that it never received a proper sequal. Thanks again, Nick

Crackers
01-29-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm going to give up on your quest. Lv9 is just too hard for me the average player. I've died too many times for it to be fun now.

I've really enjoyed playing up to this point. You have too many things going on in lv9 at one time for it to be fun for me. The enemies are quite hard when you only start with 3 hearts each time you die. lv6 was probably the hardest level. 7 and 8 were actually fun once I figured out what you were doing. I would have liked to hav finished the quest but right now I'm giving up. Maybe at some later date I will try again. On the star system I give you 4 stars out of 5. Nice job.

Toe-Knee
02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Wow I'm on level 6 and it's getting harder:(

Toe-Knee
02-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Wow I'm on level 6 and it's getting harder:(

Forget what I said for now...figured it out....still in level 6 and crossing my fingers I can pass this ;)

Sorry for the double post, I think I pressed Enter twice before I was finished

Toe-Knee
02-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Nick, I'm with Crackers on this one. Level 9 is too hard :shakeno:
Also, starting with 3 hearts after you die is insane and we always have to get replenished somewhere else and it wastes so much time. The game so far has been great but I dunno about level 9 since I feel you made it a bit too challenging. I hate getting this far and not being able to finish it :mad: I'm gonna try for a bit more so I hopefully I can complete it.

Arggg...I triple posted now...sorry guys :(

**EDIT** I did it! Getting the Gold ring helped a lot and yes this quest is beatable as long as you have a lot of patience ;)
I have one problem Nick, I beat Ganon and then I took the yellow portals which led me to 1 yellow portal...after I took that I'm in a black room in the southeastern side of level 9 (1 room east of the yellow portals) and I'm stuck there. Look at the pics and tell me if this is a glitch or not because I thought I was supposed to warp back to original Zelda to get golden arrows. I saved it and it's as if I didn't beat the game :( Please let me know what to do next. Thanks and nice quest :)

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5120/zelda001si4.png http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2355/zelda002xy6.png

tharsis26
02-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Sorry everyone, the zelda classic site's forums were down and I didn't know you could get into the same forum from here. Now that I am back I can answer questions:

Crackers: The key to level 9 is finding the golden ring which makes you nearly invincible, although you still can be killed by the most difficult dudes. Also, there are alot of dead ends in level 9, in other words, alot of rooms are pointless and alot of the portals lead you back to places you have already been. There is one quick route through the entire thing and if you find that it is alot easier (although still difficult). You will spend most of your lives and time trying to find that one route, but that is why its the last main dungeon. Lastly, I always put potion shops outside of the hardest dungeons. There is one, 3 or 4 screens west of level 9 entrance. However, there is also a potion shop in level 9 as well as a couple blue potions laying around. When you die, go back and grab potions so that you don't have to go back in with 3 hearts, you will never make it that way. Same goes for levels 6, 7, and 8. I will make the level dungeon map for level 9 tomorrow, that may help. Download the low res one so it doesn't take alot of time. If the download doesn't work let me know. Also, I am not rigid to changing the quest. I can and should make changes. I wanted to make it hard, but, If you like all the levels up to this and hate level 9 then I should change it. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Toe-Knee, this looks like a glitch, damn, let me go check it out and I will get back to you.

Ok, there is a glitch, its a stupid one on my part. The key is, when you are in the "nothing world" as I call it, if you proceed to the right of the yellow portal you will eventually come to a water feature. If you blow the whistle you will access another portal which takes you to another place. That works. Problem is, I never tested what would happen if you go back through the yellow portal. It takes you back to the wrong screen in level 9. I am fixing it now and will post an update. You can still complete the quest if you don't go back through the yellow portal. But, I will fix it and post an update on my site....sorry :(

tharsis26
02-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Ok everyone, this should be the last and final game update. After some input from people on here I decided to decrease the difficulty of the final dungeon, (level 9) and level 6. I decreased the number and difficulty of the enemies. I didn't change the layout at all as I was pretty satisfied with that. Also, I fixed an important error in the "nothing world" between Hyrule and the Fragmented Land. If you have the game right now, please overwrite your quest file with the new version available on my site. Enjoy! Nick

Toe-Knee
02-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Nick thanks for fixing the glitch. I'm going to give it another shot and let you know how that goes. I guess I have to beat Ganon again but at least I know where to go now in Level 9 to get there ;)

*EDIT**

Ok I finally beat the quest! :) The ending was a little tricky but I finally managed to "see" what you were doing ;)

I just have one more thing, when I finished and restarted, I still have all my items/equiptment but no rings and only 3 hearts. Is this another quest or am I dreaming? Basically I can't finish it again without any blue/red/gold rins and only 3 hearts, that's for sure :)

tharsis26
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Toe Knee, wow, I never actually played my character again after I beat it. I usually started a new one to test for glitches again. Let me check it out. Oh, and congrats on beating the quest! I think you are the first. How many hours did it take you?

Ok, I just beat Ganon again and you're right, when its over it takes away all your rings and hearts but lets you keep all the triforce pieces and items. I never made a second quest, although that would be cool but I'm not sure how you would go about setting one up. I guess just think of it like Link is back to normal, ha ha, and start a new character if you want to play through it again. Oh, did you understand what I was trying to do at the end, with putting Hyrule back together? I was hoping people would recognize it. Not sure if the story flowed well enough to catch that. Its hard to say alot with those text strings.

Wait, you know what would be cool is when you beat Ganon if it would restart link, but back in the original Hyrule. I mean after all, the point of the game is to make Hyrule right again. Does anyone know how to set up a second quest?

Toe-Knee
02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Toe Knee, wow, I never actually played my character again after I beat it. I usually started a new one to test for glitches again. Let me check it out. Oh, and congrats on beating the quest! I think you are the first. How many hours did it take you?

Ok, I just beat Ganon again and you're right, when its over it takes away all your rings and hearts but lets you keep all the triforce pieces and items. I never made a second quest, although that would be cool but I'm not sure how you would go about setting one up. I guess just think of it like Link is back to normal, ha ha, and start a new character if you want to play through it again. Oh, did you understand what I was trying to do at the end, with putting Hyrule back together? I was hoping people would recognize it. Not sure if the story flowed well enough to catch that. Its hard to say alot with those text strings.

Wait, you know what would be cool is when you beat Ganon if it would restart link, but back in the original Hyrule. I mean after all, the point of the game is to make Hyrule right again. Does anyone know how to set up a second quest?

Look at my time below...took me just under 10 hours :) Am I really the first? :tongue:

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1708/zelda001mk3.png http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1641/zelda002av2.png

About continue from a previous quest, I have no idea. I guess I'm glad I finished once. Twice would be too much :laughing:

tharsis26
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Under 10 hours, very nice!

tharsis26
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
It has been quiet in here over the past week, I was just wondering how people were doing with the quest? So far I know of one person who finished. Let me know if you are having any troubles. I still haven't put the level 9 dungeon map up. I will get to it soon.

maffaypeter
01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
hallo, need a overworld map, thanks

tharsis26
03-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Hello, it has been a long time since I have posted on here. But I get a few requests for the overworld secrets map still for this game. So, here it is. I also linked a legend for the symbols on this map.

http://www.nhwarner.com/files/Overworld%20Map%20Secrets_med_res.jpg

http://www.nhwarner.com/files/Overworld%20Map%20Secret%20Symbols.jpg