PDA

View Full Version : Hold ur wee for a wii...

Sir-Pimpalot
01-14-2007, 04:47 PM
A Californian woman who took part in a water-drinking contest to win a video game system has died of water intoxication, tests have shown.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6261509.stm

The stupidest thing I've ever read.

Dechipher
01-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I actually think it's kind of sad. Especially the whole doing it for the kids bit, I bet the feel pretty bad, even though it's not their fault. It was a stupid ass contest to begin with.

Modus Ponens
01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
It's something that people don't realize can happen. Clearly the radio station didn't think about the health risks.

XMuppetSB
01-14-2007, 08:45 PM
That doesn't sound the least bit stupid to me! That's really shocking! I never thought drinking so much water could cause someone to die from water intoxication!:(

The_Amaster
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Of course for the PS3, people just get mugged, or whatever, standing in line, but noooo, the Wii can't just get normal stuff like that, no, it has to get a woman who dies due to a WATER DRINKING CONTEST.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I always knew water was bad for us.

But no one listened to me. Now look what happened...

Someone Died...

Sir-Pimpalot
01-15-2007, 12:56 AM
That doesn't sound the least bit stupid to me! That's really shocking! I never thought drinking so much water could cause someone to die from water intoxication!:(

I was talking about the stupidity of the radio station. :sweat:

I always knew water was bad for us.

But no one listened to me. Now look what happened...

Someone Died...
I know! O_o
I tried to warn everyone, but they put me in this happy-lil' padded room and called me crazy! :( Now look!!!

moocow
01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
How lame is a water drinking contest, anyway? Would've been better had it been like, I dunno... beer. Or vodka.

Verman
01-16-2007, 01:40 AM
what! i thought the only way you can die from to much water is if you drown...learn something new everyday...

vodka and beer can give you alchohol poisoning if drank too fast. thats fatal.

milk hahahah only outcome is BARF...

or how bout antifreeze!

SUCCESSOR
01-16-2007, 02:00 AM
How lame is a water drinking contest, anyway? Would've been better had it been like, I dunno... beer. Or vodka.

That wouldn't shock anyone!

Tim
01-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Diluting the salt content of your body kills you, as shown. It also works the other way with too much sodium.

slothman
01-17-2007, 04:21 AM
I read about that on /. and was told that sometimes a salty food might actually allow you to survive longer.
If you have no food but you do have salt-water, would undiluting the freshwater you have help?
Or similarily just adding a small amount of salt to the fresh water you have?

ValdostaElf
01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
That was awful, you can bet the radio station had her sign a waiver..her poor kids are going to be scarred because of this.

ONeilcool
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I think a while back there was another kid that died of drinking too much water.

It was a water drinking contest to get into a fraternity because they wouldn't allow beer on campus or something like that.

Dracula
01-19-2007, 11:33 PM
As I always say... too much of anything can kill you.

It's one of those contests that can make your ego get the best of you, especially if you're oblivious to the hazards. That's why I find it very sad.

Chibidia
01-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds like the worst video game related death since that little girl who starved to death because her parents never feed her due to a WoW addiction.

Shyvus
01-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Sounds like the worst video game related death since that little girl who starved to death because her parents never feed her due to a WoW addiction.

...what?

Chibidia
01-20-2007, 11:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft - Look under Controversy and Criticism. Or... uhh, I guess be lazy and read the quote below.

World of Warcraft has also come under criticism for stories of game addictions to the popular video game. In June of 2005 it was reported that a child had died due to neglect by her World of Warcraft-addicted parents.[42] In August of that year, the government of the People's Republic of China decided to enforce control over how many hours the country's 20 million gamers can play.[43]

Remember, this has to be true since Wikipedia is basically Brainiac and absorbes all known knowledge before destroying it's host planet.

ValdostaElf
01-21-2007, 12:53 AM
I had heard of the fraternity one but not the WOW one. Sad sad world. Why are they blaming video games for addictions. The parents are the problem.

erm2003
01-21-2007, 10:58 AM
I had heard of the fraternity one but not the WOW one. Sad sad world. Why are they blaming video games for addictions. The parents are the problem.

People rarely will step forward to take the blame for something. Everyone finds it easier to pass the buck and put the blame on something else like video games and television for their actions or for the actions of their children. If they would just try to moderate some of these things and use common sense (what's that?) to begin with then the could probably avoid the problems all together or at least take a step in the right direction.