PDA

View Full Version : How big a difference?

WindStrike
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I stumbled upon the old version of my quest and decided to have the the bottom-right screen compared to the new version. Originally, I started making the quest in the first pure tileset, as I thought there were too many tiles in the later versions. But then it came to the point where I needed more than the small amount that was there. I didn't swap to the later versions of pure though... as I thought it was too confusing. Then I saw the amazingness of DoR and got that... though I have to admit, it was REALLY HARD TO LEARN! But... in the end, it proved to be a major graphical difference... though work is going MUCH slower (it may take 3 years... so don't expect anything for a WHILE). So, in a nutshell, here's the difference:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Wind_Strike/zelda001-2.jpg?t=1168569864
Ya know... that's actually a pretty decent shot. Notice that at this point, I didn't know how to use layers. Until...
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Wind_Strike/tHA%20Starting%20Town/Bottom-Right.jpg?t=1168571364
O_o Bloody Hilarious
So... that's how humungous a difference that can happen due to tileset. It makes the old version look like garbage... well, in this case, that is.
And just a note... that second shot (the newer one) is not actually the finalized shot. However, it is very close.

. . .

EDIT: Ah... found a minor update to the second shot.

Shoelace
01-12-2007, 03:55 AM
To be fair that isn't the best you could do with the Pure Tileset. Now, I have used DoR and to tell you the truth, I like the PTUX a lot better. That is my opinion. When I was making somethings with DoR, I didn't like a lot of the things and the look of some of the things. However, that doesn't mean it is bad. I personally like DoR mixed with PTUX. That is way I am doing things now. :P

DarkFlameWolf
01-12-2007, 08:03 AM
as am I Shoelace. ^_^

Petoe
01-12-2007, 08:16 AM
PTUX + DOR + lots of custom work = Gold! ;)

Scotian Gold
01-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree! I am currently using PTUX and personally modified PTUX tiles for Quill & Link. But when I finish the quest, I mean *really* finish the quest, then I'll decide which DoR, etc. tiles combine well with the ones I have used. But I won't throw in FF tiles just because I need a lighthouse or something!

C-Dawg
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
DoR is solid gold. It's really easy to use, very well labeled and laid out, and includes the best tiles from a hundred previous tilesets.

Lets hear it for DoR!

WindStrike
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
As I said, it was done BEFORE I learned how to use layers - that means that I sucked at building screens. Now... if I were to go back in, - and probably use PTUX - I'd probably build a much better screen. However... I don't feel that it'd get the same feel as the one in DoR, which gives the small town a 'small town' feel. That, and the other feels it'd get.
Mixing the two tilesets? ... that would just take too much time for me. I'd much rather take just a few things from different places rather than what you're suggesting.

DoR is solid gold. It's really easy to use, very well labeled and laid out, and includes the best tiles from a hundred previous tilesets.

Lets hear it for DoR!
... I'd almost agree with that... but I do feel that it is missing a few important things... that, and the cave tiles are too typical to work with for my likes.

Scotian Gold
01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I'd much rather take just a few things from different places rather than what you're suggesting.

That's how I feel as well. But it's important to remember that these original tilesets were designed by well paid, professional game designers. When I play a quest and something just doesn't 'feel' right, it's usually careless tile usage. That, or homemade tiles that you can spot a mile away - it's not easy working in 16 colours!

(But if I ever need to make a desktop icon in the future...now it will piece of cake :D )