PDA

View Full Version : CES Emmys = Worthless

Warlock
01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/753/753549p1.html

January 8, 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that it has been given top honors by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences as the recipient of a Technology and Engineering Emmy Award for the PlayStation 3's SIXAXIS controller. SCEA will accept this award at a presentation held tonight during the International Consumer Electronics Show 2007 in Las Vegas.

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is a testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," said Jack Tretton president of SCEA. "The full potential of this powerful machine has yet to be realized -- what you've seen so far is just a taste of what will be on the table for 2007 and years to come."

The SIXAXIS wireless controller features motion-sensing to detect body movements and interpret them into in-game actions. The PS3 will be on display during the International CES tradeshow, January 8-11, in the Sony Electronics Booth.

Wow, way to award a completely derivative, crappy device. I'm not even talking about Wii as far as derivative (though it is the *only* reason this control has tilt stuff to begin with), I'm talking about Microsoft's PC controllers with this EXACT technology from years ago. They didn't sell because the technology is stupid - what are you going to use tilt stuff on? Flight simulators? It was a sad, reactionary move from Sony so they can say "look, we do motion stuff too!"

It's sad that Sony probably won this on name branding alone. The judges must be pretty out-of-touch as, aside from Wii's remote, I'm sure there were other, more deserving products. I'm sure this will also stroke Sony's ego so we'll get to here more condescending comments from them in the near future ("OMG our controller is *award winning*!")

AtmaWeapon
01-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow. I was reading a lot of gaming-related Wikipedia articles last night and I read something that this seems to galvanize. Apparently E3 was created because the CES was a consumer electronics show and booths were handed out by both seniority and status with the "boys". The article claims that Nintendo would have to attempt to push their family-oriented product next to the Vivid Video booth. It got so bad that a man created E3 solely for video games so they could avoid having to deal with the inconvenience.

Your theory that the judges are out-of-touch and voted by branding seems to be correct and supports this theory of why CES is horrible for video games. It's a conference that Sony has been at forever so they get big booths and superior placement.

I can't believe they are winning awards for making a wireless PS2 controller with limited Wii functionality, which is nothing but a clone of a PSX controller with analog sticks added to compete with the N64, which is nothing but a PSX controller with force feedback added to compete with the N64.

Warlock
01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
lol:
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=JP11099284&F=0&QPN=JP11099284

Sony filed a patent for this in 1999. Ironically, this is exactly one year after Microsoft's Sidewinder Freestyle Pro controller was released. I bet they were planning on ripping Microsoft off back then, but then saw the controller flop and decided against it.

Pineconn
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
And let me add that it has no rumble. ;)

Pretty sad indeed. --> " :( "

AtmaWeapon
01-10-2007, 01:07 AM
And let me add that it has no rumble. ;)

Pretty sad indeed. --> " :( "I think that's because when it came to the implementation of force feedback Sony got "innovation" and "infringement" mixed up. ;)

Warlock
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/sony-did-not-win-an-award-for-sixaxis-29164.phtml

LOL they lied!

A follow up message from Christine Chin from NATAS tells us Sony has it all wrong. The award was for the original dual shock controller. Here is her message in full:

I understand you had contacted Cheryl Daly, Director of Communications at NATAS to confirm if Sony won for their PS3 controller. This is incorrect, Sony won for their dual shock analog controller. The award is from the Video Game Technology Group. It was nominated by our internal group and considered along with the Nintendo D-Pad both of which were considered Emmy worthy for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks.

I would like to confirm that Sony did not win for their PS3 controller, they won for their Dual Shock Analog controller.

So there you have it. This makes a lot more sense, and Sony's press release was flat out incorrect. Best case, an error. Worst case...

Chrstine also said she will clarify this with Sony.

Not surprising in the least that they would lie about this. I can understand them winning that for dual shock (which was a good controller) but ya, there was no way SIXAXIS deserved that. Reminds me of the whole "viral marketing" scam they pulled.

AtmaWeapon
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
SIXAXIS reversed is SIXAXIS
NATAS reversed is SATAN

Also honestly what was so good about the dual shock? It was the first controller that hurts my hand to use. The D-Pad is far superior for digital input in my opinion. I've had a frustrating time attempting to pull off the spell moves in SotN lately (primarily Soul Steal, B, F to B, F, attack) as the way I place my thumb tends to register additional button presses and causes the game to interpret my final B, F motion as the D to F necessary for the fireball attack.

Never had problems with circular motions or blisters on the D-Pad, but even minimal use of the Dual Shock leads to discomfort and frustration. So can someone explain to me just why this controller is so loved? I'm not trolling with my usual Nintendo fanboy fervor here I just seriously can't see how the pros outweigh the cons on the thing.

Cloral
01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree with you; I greatly prefer the 360's controller to the Ps2/Ps3 controller. Sony's controllers feel too small and flimsy, while the 360's controller is just the right size.