PDA

View Full Version : Hookshot bridges

Saffith
01-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Same script, new link: HookshotBridge.z (http://saffith.homestead.com/files/zcscripts/HookshotBridge.z)

Dark Nation
01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Seeing as how you are a developer, shouldn't this be an in-game addition? :p

Awesome script. :D

ShadowTiger
01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
First time around, that was awesome. Absolutely thrilling to see. :)

Second time around, when I used the L4 Cheat to NoClip my way east, (Seeing layer 1.) south, west, then north again, hoping to be able to do it again, ... some weird stuff happened. When facing north, west, or south, the rightmost half of the wooden bridge slat was visible while the leftern one with its ring was not. When I faced east, the whole combo was visible, though hookshotting it did nothing.

Regardless, ... I do believe this earns a hearty *applause* .

"GG," as it were. :p :highfive:

BTW, Saffith, .. you made a quest before? Haven't heard of that. o.o Would like to investigate further, or possibly play it... Looks interesting.

Saffith
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Seeing as how you are a developer, shouldn't this be an in-game addition? :pOh, maybe next version. The last thing we need now is more buggy new features, eh?

Second time around, when I used the L4 Cheat to NoClip my way east, (Seeing layer 1.) south, west, then north again, hoping to be able to do it again, ... some weird stuff happened. When facing north, west, or south, the rightmost half of the wooden bridge slat was visible while the leftern one with its ring was not. When I faced east, the whole combo was visible, though hookshotting it did nothing.Ah, so I see... The script assumes that secrets haven't been triggered when it starts, but it's an overworld DMap, so...
Hm. The question arises, then, is it preferable to require the "secrets are temporary" flag be used, or let the script know what combo to start on via constants and/or arguments?

Edit: Well, I've decided on the screen flag for the time being. I've updated the files accordingly.
I think it might be possible to make the bridge remain permanently if you could trigger another secret to make the bridge combos change to what they already are, but I haven't been able to make that work.
On the other hand, if the script knew which combo it should expect to start with, it could simply recreate the bridge if it found a different one. I'm really not certain which way is preferable. Perhaps a combination of the two...

BTW, Saffith, .. you made a quest before? Haven't heard of that. o.o Would like to investigate further, or possibly play it... Looks interesting.
Yeah... It's so close to finished, I kind of hate not to get it done. But then, it was just for practice (it was my first), and I think it served it's purpose already.
Maybe I'll release it as it is, and see if there's enough interest to finish it up.

bluedeath
01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
From DN

Seeing as how you are a developer, shouldn't this be an in-game addition?

I agree, this should be an option, not a script.

itsyfox
01-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Actually, wouldn't it be really nice to the developers if they had the ability to compile scripts into the engine?

That would really easily make it a lot more modular for adding new features. ^_^ Then there'd be a lot less 'this feature will be a long way off, because it takes a lot of changing around hard code to implement'. The majority of hard coding would then be focused on scripting capabilities!

bluedeath
01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Well I suppos maybe they wouldent mind putting a few scripts in, but not a whole whack. People will still have to script there own.

idontknow
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
See, why couldn't that Hookshot Bridge just be a simple combo? I would like to have something similar in my quest, but i dont know how to script--even when getting the script from someone else, it'd be a pain to have to set this up using Freeform combos & Inputing scripts. Way back when, HS Bridge used to actually be a combo type but was never implemented--its name was just there. I think this should be implemented as a combo type.

Saffith
01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
The trouble with that is, a simple combo type can't account for the direction and length. It might be possible with a combo type, a flag, and several consecutive combos after the starting one. I don't think there's a way to make it simpler than that.
It'll probably get added in a future version, but there's no changing that it'll take some work to set up.

bluedeath
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Hs bridge down
Hs bridge up
etc....
undercombo is the bridge?

C-Dawg
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
There.
Is.
A.
Script.
That.
Does.
This.
Fine.

Why is everyone always clamouring to add things to the engine still? I don't get it. Scripting is flawless. The player can't tell the difference. it's not like the old days, when you had to use up Dmaps and map space to simulate special effects. This is honest-to-goodness programming. What difference does it make if it's in the engine, or scripted?

Saffith
08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh! You returned! What great fortune.

Is there now a hope for the resurrection of the one, the only, Hookshot Bridges (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95539)?
Why, yes.

Shazza Dani
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
There.
Is.
A.
Script.
That.
Does.
This.
Fine.

Why is everyone always clamouring to add things to the engine still? I don't get it. Scripting is flawless. The player can't tell the difference. it's not like the old days, when you had to use up Dmaps and map space to simulate special effects. This is honest-to-goodness programming. What difference does it make if it's in the engine, or scripted?

Some people, like me, don't understand the first thing about scripting; even how to add them to a quest if someone else writes the script for them.

However, I'm not one of the people who asks for new things to be added to the engine. I would learn about scripting if I wanted to, I'm just not bothering with that right now. But some people are lazy and they want new features and aren't willing to try to learn scripting. Shame on them. D:

_L_
08-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Query: have you considered rewriting this script such that it reads and acts upon the location of Link's hookshot head? (You can do that now!)