PDA

View Full Version : XBox Game Suggestions

Yoshiman
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Well, 5 years after it's release, I finally got an XBox. I got it used at Gamestop with Halo 2 for $120. Problem is, I have no idea what other games to get, aside from Halo: Combat Evolved, and Ninja Gaiden.

So, what games should I pick up?

Cloral
01-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Well, you got the big one. Halo 2 is the only xbox game I've played much.

Fable seems to be a game people liked. Though I can't comment personally as I haven't played it at all. I guess the big question is, what sort of games do you like?

vegeta1215
01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't have an X-Box, but there are some games I've read about that look cool and interest me personally. (ie I would probably buy them if I had an X-Box)

- Burnout 3
- Doom 3
- Jade Empire
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
- Psychonauts

DarkDragoonX
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Y'know, I have to ask... why the hell does everybody orgasm over Halo 2 all the time? I own the game, and I just don't see anything special in it. I've had way more fun with basically every PC FPS ever. UT2k4, in particular, still stands in my mind as the king of FPS multiplayer, and there are many, many PC FPS games that are better when it comes to single player.

So, why does everyone think Halo is so damn awesome? I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything... it's just that everybody seems to worship it, but I don't see what makes it so special.

EDIT: Just occured to me that maybe I should write at least SOMETHING on-topic here... check out Ninja Gaiden. It's a spectacular action game, one of the best out there.

Grasshopper
01-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Y'know, I have to ask... why the hell does everybody orgasm over Halo 2 all the time? I own the game, and I just don't see anything special in it. I've had way more fun with basically every PC FPS ever. UT2k4, in particular, still stands in my mind as the king of FPS multiplayer, and there are many, many PC FPS games that are better when it comes to single player. While I agree with that comment in regards to UT 2004, (or any UT for that matter, Half-Life etc.) this is an Xbox, not a PC. And compared to other FPS on the Xbox, Halo is probably about the best your going to get. I'd say that why it gets a lot of recognition.

DarkDragoonX
01-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I suppose so, but that's a lot like saying, "Boy, I may not be living in a mansion like that other guy, but this is the best tree fort EVER!"

Frankly, adding USB mouse/keyboard support to console FPS games would put them nearly on par with PC games. The biggest problem with Halo and other games like it is that using analog sticks is complete and utter shit compared to mouselook. Instead of flicking my wrist and blasting some suckers head open, I have to hold the stick down and waaaaaaaiiiiit for the reticle to move. Even the fastest setting is just too imprecise when compared to a good mouse.

Okay, I'm done with my elitist rant now.

On a side note, I just noticed that Ninja Gaiden was already mentioned... in the original post. But I choose to blame my blunder on AlexMax, mainly because he isn't here to claim otherwise. Regardless, a new reccomendation: Steel Battalion. It's expensive, but it's an orgasm in a box if you're a mech lover. And while I'm at it, Mechassault, which is significantly less awesome than Steel Battalion, but still falls well within the spectrum of awesomeness.

Yoshiman
01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Fable seems to be a game people liked. Though I can't comment personally as I haven't played it at all. I guess the big question is, what sort of games do you like?
Generally, the action/adventure genre is the one that appeals to me the most, but I'll basically play anything. However, I'm really not too fond of sports/racing games unless they have some sort of oddity to make them interesting (Mario Kart).

Y'know, I have to ask... why the hell does everybody orgasm over Halo 2 all the time? I own the game, and I just don't see anything special in it. I've had way more fun with basically every PC FPS ever. UT2k4, in particular, still stands in my mind as the king of FPS multiplayer, and there are many, many PC FPS games that are better when it comes to single player.
Well, I'm really not too much of a PC gamer. It's just too expensive for me to upgrade my system every time a new game comes out. Wheras consoles last for at least 4 years and don't have to be opened up in order to play later games. :p

As for why Halo is so great, I think it's just the countless legions of fanboys. I don't have XBox Live, but I still find Halo 2 quite fun. I think the fact that I didn't hold extremely high expectations for it and my dorkiness for futuristic storylines is what made me like it.
Of course, there are other games that are good, but people overrate them a ton (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, ect.).

Saying people orgasm over Halo really has a totally different meaning when you've seen certain dirty fan art.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. If there's more, I'd gladly take them. :)

Matteo
01-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Sid Meier's Pirates
Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

and...
If you like football, ESPN NFL2K5.
Probably best football game ever, plus you can download user-created updated roster files online if you want the current players and teams

DarkDragoonX
01-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Saying people orgasm over Halo really has a totally different meaning when you've seen certain dirty fan art.

Endless chaingun ammo on the warthog, a rubber band, and controllers that vibrate.

MottZilla
01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Any multiplatform title you didn't get yet should be pretty nice on Xbox such as Hitman: Blood Money, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Black, BurnOut Revenge, etc. There's definitely a healthy library out there.

The only games I can really recommend are Ninja Gaiden and uh... Ninja Gaiden Black. =)

AlexMax
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Two lesser known games that haven't been mentioned yet are Panzer Dragoon Orta, a fantastic rail shooter, and Deathrow, a 'death sport' kind of game that is probably the most fun you can have with more than one player.

And as a person who has played PC FPS's since Doom, I will say that Halo and Halo 2 are both good games. Their single player, while repetative, is still one of the best SP campaigns in recent memory, (aside from Half Life 2). The multiplayer is at once easily acessable and has a high skill curve, due to the number of gameplay features that, while not new, Halo manages to mesh exceptionally well. The fact that Halo 2's control system is inherantly inferior to a mouse and keyboard doesn't hide the fact that they are both exceptional, and well deserving of the praise they get. Honestly, I own UT2k4 and it doesn't do much for me, it feels very polished, but the underlying gameplay isn't as fun as other games in its class, such as Quake 3 CPMA, Warsow, Doom 2 and Halo 2.

I for one an anxious to get Halo 2 PC, and I hope it's better than the abysmal Halo 1 PC port by Gearbox. Hopefully, since Bungie is handling the porting themselves this time, it'll be not only an exceptional Xbox game, but an exceptional PC game as well.

Lotus_Eater
01-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I agree with Jade Empire, very cool, also might I suggest Crimson Skies, it can be found very cheap, very easily.
Though kinda short, it was a great play through, twice.

Later,
Lotus