PDA

View Full Version : What sort of things can be done with Item Scripts?

idontknow
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm just wondering what sort of things can be done with Item Scripts? I dont know how to script myself but i imagine now that we have the ability to attach scripts to custom items, we could make some cool stuff.

Which of the following may be possible:

-Lightening Rod?

-Megabomb / Powder Keg?

-A Fire Arrrow that actually lights things?

-An ocarina that you can actually play?

-A magic barrier you can use only while swimming in water to damage enemies? (like Zora Link in LoZ:MM)

-Multiple bottles to put potions & things in?

-A potion that gives you infinite magic for a limited time?

-An item that uses magic to open all locked doors & lock blocks on a screen without using keys?

-A new hookshot which pulls enemies to you?

-A candle, which when used, creates an eternal flame?

-A Key Ring, which increases your key count by 3 rather than a single key?

-An item that uses magic to turn nearby enemies into push blocks?

-An item that uses magic to turn water into walkable platforms of ice which eventually melt back into water? (Ice Arrow perhaps?)

-An item that consumes magic to give Link a limited boost in speed?

-A level 2 "Freeform" Raft which Link can steer?

-A sword that reflects fireballs when Link slashes at them?

-A sword which heals Link when it damages enemies?

-A powerful sword which consumes magic in order to slash it?

-A custom Ring item that Link uses like a weapon which halves damage by draining your Rupee count? (like LoZ:TP's Magic Armor)

-An item that stops conveyor belts? (it freezes their animation & makes them into normal, walkable combos)

-A musical instrument that turns all Zols on the screen into Gels?

I could probably think of a bunch more but this will be it for now :P Anyway, which of these are possible? Please feel free to comment on these or add your own ideas for custom items that can be made using Item Scripts.

The_Amaster
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I know the key ring and similar items can be done without scripting. All the quantity data is right with the item. I wouldn't mind something like the switchook from the oracle, and from what I know, it would be possible.(Just swap Link's X,Y with the attached object)

*b*
01-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Spin Attack graphic around the sword. One tile, or maybe a block of animated tiles?

A button squence that can make enemies take damage on the enitre screen, preferrably with graphics?

ShadowTiger
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, ... something tells me that you'd need more FFC's for this type of thing. >.>

I can suddenly imagine a for loop going through each enemy onscreen and lowering their hit points by two, and expending your magic by five for each. Sounds like quite the fun item. o.oi

C-Dawg
01-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Yep, FFCs can do this. But there is no way, in scripting, to detect Link USING an item except by checking for secondary effects of Link's tiem use, such as secret combos triggering. In turn, this makes such effects useless generally, as use of the effect will trigger secrets on the screen.

OF COURSE if we could use multiple inherent flags (singular+other) this problem would be overcome.... hint, hint

ShadowTiger
01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Yep, FFCs can do this. But there is no way, in scripting, to detect Link USING an itemWell, if you say so, then I find it extremely counter-intuitive AND Irksome that the mere act of using the B button when you've equipped this item won't make the script even run. It's pretty much how I imagined scripted items would work in the first place. :odd:

That, and adding the Z items to the possible list of items a Current Item can be.

C-Dawg
01-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd love to be wrong about this, ShadowTiger, but I don't believe I am. I don't see that there is any command in the documentation that lets a script check whether Link is USING a particular item. Or if he has it equipped. All we can do is check whether it's in his inventory.

I have no idea how custom item scripts are supposed to work.

jman2050
01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Simple. the script for an item is run WHEN you use it. Thus, you build the scripts under the assumption that Link is USING that particular item at the time.

There will also be an option in beta 17 to use 'collect scripts'. These scripts wil be run once you collect an item.

C-Dawg
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
But can we get a Link->ItemUsed() command? Or, hell, just the ability to know what Link has equipped would work, since we can already detect key strokes.

jman2050
01-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I'll see what we can do.