PDA

View Full Version : New Din's Fire Rule + New Link Sprite

Nimono
12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
2 suggestions here:

1: We all remember Din's Fire in OoT (Required to enter the Shadow Temple). It caused a "shield" of fire to appear around Link. It then vanished after a few seconds, but... The ZC equivalent is VERY different. Instead of a "shield" of fire, it causes a RING of fire to burst away from Link. It can't trigger Burn flags unless the fires stop on them, and it's very un-OoT-ish. Some people may like it the way it is now. How about a Quest Rule to make it OoT-styled? The "shield" would have to be small, though, but it'd kind of be like Nayru's Love- You just set it to a certain tile, and it makes it from there. With that, you could do many different things with it. You could keep it as Din's Fire, or... You could turn it into a massive electrical blast! Or many other odd ideas! Now, this leads me into my next idea...
2: A new Link tile for casting. We all know that when Link casts Din's Fire or Nayru's Love, he first uses the "Cast" tile, and then switches to his two-handed hold tile. I HATE that. What if someone wanted a different pose for Link after casting? They'd have to change the 2-Hand Hold tile and NEVER USE THE 2-HANDED HOLD, except as an actual combo that would be used in a Cutscene. So, why can't you add in a new sprite for Link, "Cast Finish" (or anything like that)? Normally, it would be set to the same tile Link uses for his Two-Handed Hold for old quests, but you can set it to ANYTHING without messing up Link's Two-Handed hold! Imagine, you could have Link thrust his hand down to the ground when casting Din's Fire to create a volcanic reaction that causes fire to burst away from him! Or you can make Link hold his sword above his head and thrust it down quickly!

On a side note, how hard would it be to make seperate Link casting sprites for ALL THREE SPELLS? I also find it annoying that when casting Farore's Wind, Link uses his Hammer Pound sprites....

The_Amaster
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want a shield of fire, couldn't you just set the sprites for the cane of Byrna's shield to fire, and the item sprite to Din's Fire.

Nimono
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
If you want a shield of fire, couldn't you just set the sprites for the cane of Byrna's shield to fire, and the item sprite to Din's Fire.

I put "shield" in quotation marks for a reason- Two, actually. For one, it's not a real shield, and two, I couldn't think of a better word to use. So THE CANE OF BYRNA WON'T WORK. Haven't you even played Ocarina of Time before?

_L_
12-31-2006, 10:06 PM
2 suggestions here:

1: We all remember Din's Fire in OoT (Required to enter the Shadow Temple). It caused a "shield" of fire to appear around Link. It then vanished after a few seconds, but... The ZC equivalent is VERY different. Instead of a "shield" of fire, it causes a RING of fire to burst away from Link.Well, in OoT, the orb of fire expanded in size as it disappeared - which gave the spell the all-important range needed to light all of those torches in the graveyard. And I'm going to assume that Allegro isn't immediately equipped with sprite-scaling capabilities.
It can't trigger Burn flags unless the fires stop on them,Okay, maybe I'll quest-rule this. I recall in BS-Zelda, Burn secret combos were triggered the instant the flame touched them.

ShadowTiger
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Can you also modify the length of time that the sprite remains onscreen though?

Just asking, .. not .. really, uh .. suggestion. >.>'

Master_of_Power
01-01-2007, 03:11 PM
how about a quest rule that makes the ring of fire expand out from link until it dissapears off screen? it might be overkill, though.

Nimono
01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, in OoT, the orb of fire expanded in size as it disappeared - which gave the spell the all-important range needed to light all of those torches in the graveyard. And I'm going to assume that Allegro isn't immediately equipped with sprite-scaling capabilities. Okay, maybe I'll quest-rule this. I recall in BS-Zelda, Burn secret combos were triggered the instant the flame touched them.

Thanks! I knew it expanded in OoT, but I didn't think that ZC's engine was equipped to do that. That's why I left it out. In other words, I only want the orb to appear at the same distance as the fires do now, and simply vanish when the spell is done, like the fires do. In other words, it's a modification of the current Din's Fire to also affect the sections on the inner part of the orb. Is that easier to understand? (Though, think about this: If Allegro isn't equipped with "sprite-scaling capabilities", then why does the Ring of Fire that Din's Fire currently creates expand outward? :p I bet I've got ya there.)

Woppodie
01-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks! I knew it expanded in OoT, but I didn't think that ZC's engine was equipped to do that. That's why I left it out. In other words, I only want the orb to appear at the same distance as the fires do now, and simply vanish when the spell is done, like the fires do. In other words, it's a modification of the current Din's Fire to also affect the sections on the inner part of the orb. Is that easier to understand? (Though, think about this: If Allegro isn't equipped with "sprite-scaling capabilities", then why does the Ring of Fire that Din's Fire currently creates expand outward? :p I bet I've got ya there.)

I think by sprite scaling capabilities, he means that he can't take a fire shield sprite and scale it larger as it expands. The current Din's Fire isn't a shield expanding outward, it is a right of flames moving outward.