PDA

View Full Version : Default Tileset Update

bigjoe
12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, it's been a long time since an update has been attempted for the default Classic template that comes with ZC. You can blame it on laziness, real life, or whatever you will.

Anyone is welcome to help complete the template! Those who do will receive a place in the credits. You may submit your tile additions as a picture in this thread.

Zelda Classic 2.11/2.5 Default Tileset (http://jman2050.armageddongames.net/newdefault.zip)
(Hosted by jman)

Be Warned: The zipped QSU may be small, but the unzipped QSU is much larger!

The following refers to what has been accomplished so far. The latest version of the tileset available for download does NOT include everything mentioned here. Version 2 will include the following.
What has been done:
Every item/weapon tile has been added.
Link's current movements have been drawn.
All the current enemies have been drawn or filled in, with name and Cset information in the tile bank.
A new (incomplete) subscreen which aims to add all of the available items.
Move tiles around and delete excess junk, in order to reduce file size.
Shieldless link

What needs to be done:
Make sure all original tiles/combos are included.
Reconstruct Tileset Credits.(Add new programmers and tileset contributors, remove in tileset avatars to reduce space taken)
Sprites for Whatever items the developers have added in beta 16.
Finish new subscreen with all items. (If there isnt too many items to fit on the subscreen!!!)
Combo bank needs updating

What can be done but isn't absolutely necessary:
Improve sprites/tiles/enemies in any way.
Draw tiles and reference combos for every combo type.
Draw tiles and reference combos that will relate to commonly used flag types, such as the boomerang or arrow flags.

If you have a tile submission or help in any way , you will be added to the credits.

Tileset Credits so far:
Hypercrash( a.k.a. 4matsy) - Massive amounts of tile,combo,and sprite work. Finished Nayru's Love and slash tiles for Cane of Byrna.
Riverman - Swimming Link tiles and fonts.
Radien - Jumping Link tiles.
GameMakr24 - Dungeon tiles from Zelda Challenge: Outlands
skateboarder11 - Completely reorganized tileset by categories.
old_skool - shieldless Link and extra keys.

If you have added anything or have not been credited for anything that is currently there, please let me know so that I can update the above list.

Thanks goes to jman2050 and skateboarder11 for hosting files.

King Aquamentus
12-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Did someone say Shieldless Link?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/ssjlink1/zelda004.png

oh, and I threw in some variations on the normal key. enjoy.

skateboarder11
12-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Tilepages reorganized. (http://saltedfork.org/bloodstar/NewClassic/NewDefault%20-%20Tilepages%20reorganized.zip)

bigjoe
12-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Wow, skateboarder, that's a lot of help. Greatly appreciated! I'll have to redo the combo pages, but it's worth it!

Revfan9
12-31-2006, 05:45 AM
As I said in #PureZC:

It's good and all... But It's not something that I would want to see every time I hit "New". It's complete, but a little too complete. Plus it's harder to use than Classic, which may scare Newbies.

bigjoe
12-31-2006, 05:51 AM
As I said in #PureZC:

It's good and all... But It's not something that I would want to see every time I hit "New". It's complete, but a little too complete. Plus it's harder to use than Classic, which may scare Newbies.

Well, what WOULD you want to see everytime you hit New? What is "too complete"?

Without feedback nothing can be corrected.

Should we drop back to the last version and just have weapon/item sprites completed?

These questions are for EVERYONE.

Revfan9
12-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Well, on one hand, it badly needs an update to work with the new features. On the other hand, the classic set is what people see when they open Zquest for the first time. We have to take newcomers into account. The "obvious" solution, including it in the ZC download, doesn't work, just like Newfirst. I honestly don't know what to say about this one.

Brandon
12-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Tilepages reorganized. (http://saltedfork.org/bloodstar/NewClassic/NewDefault%20-%20Tilepages%20reorganized.zip)

This is awesome. My only complaint is that the tiles are a little too spaced out at the moment.

ShadowTiger
12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh, .. oh dear, no, .. there's no such thiing as "Little too spaced out" in ZQuest or Tiles Pages. :p These things have a tendency to fill out pretty quickly. This more than a generous helping of space, truth be told. A lot more than what I'm otherwise used to seeing, but oh god how it works. It just works so well.

If worse comes to worse, you could always put an index in the earlier pages directing people to what they want.

I would also like to see some sort of "transitional" tiles between the two colors of terrain types, similar to how you can't go from a beach tile to a grass tile without some sort of intermediary.

redmage777
12-31-2006, 04:49 PM
How about Copy/Pasting Raidon's Enemy Name & CSet data from his BS set? I think that would be a worth while contrabution to the main tileset.

<Edit> Sorry, they were already in there. Good work I have no complaints.

_L_
12-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I approve of this tileset!

Suggestions:
* The Weapon graphics aren't set?!
* The Boss Key shouldn't look like a blue Z2 Magic Key. It should be one of the horned keys, to match the design of the boss doors.
* I've said it before, (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?p=1090481#post1090481) but the only way that the Splitting Darknut makes sense is if it has two heads. Anybody?
* The Bombchu's colours strike me as wrong. The bomb should be red and the mouse white.

P.S: According to the Reference section, the NES Z1 wasn't able to load very many enemy types at once. But, in Official 3rd (which, if my memory serves me correctly, is supposed to be limited to NES capabilities), the final dungeon contains both Darknuts and Wizzrobes! Not to mention both Aquamentus, Gleeok and Ganon! Problem?

EDIT: Oh yeah, why's the 10 rupee the same colour as the 5 rupee? I recall that in Wind Waker, at least, the 10 rupee was yellow and the 200 rupee was orange.

Master_of_Power
01-01-2007, 10:46 AM
The colors in the tileset strike me as odd, however. They changed a lot since 2.10.

bigjoe
01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
P.S: According to the Reference section, the NES Z1 wasn't able to load very many enemy types at once. But, in Official 3rd (which, if my memory serves me correctly, is supposed to be limited to NES capabilities), the final dungeon contains both Darknuts and Wizzrobes! Not to mention both Aquamentus, Gleeok and Ganon! Problem?

The 3rd quest defies the NES's limitations in many more ways than that.For instance, there are many more dungeon room formations than the NES was capable of. Therefore, it was decided by the judges that Level 9 could include all of the enemies.

ShadowTiger
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
* I've said it before, but the only way that the Splitting Darknut makes sense is if it has two heads. Anybody?... And two bodies? O.o'

The closest I've ever come to the most realistic possible situation where a Splitting Darknut seemed .. well, .. physically probable, at least, is when you've got two quickly spinning Darknuts in close proximation to each other. One dies, and the other stops spinning.

Lotus_Eater
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Make it something other than a Darknut. Maybe a pair of small beasties that share a shell.

_L_
01-03-2007, 05:09 AM
The problem is that it splits into two Blue Darknuts. And, as it is a NES monster, the Blue Darknut must be unchanged. So, here's what we do:

1) Corner the dev who added the darned thing in the first place.
2) Mwahahahaha!

Also about the tileset: No treasure chests? No spinning tiles?

Revfan9
01-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Does the "Splitting Darknut" have a specific death animation? If so, then can't we just have a beetle where it shows itself cracking open when it dies, then 2 blue darknuts come out?

CJC
01-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, no. In the original Zelda I all the enemies have the same death animation (A two-frame poof of white smoke). But that's no reason why a bug wouldn't have darknuts inside it. You just have the bug poof and the darknuts come out.

It doesn't have to be completely logical, though. I mean, we're working in 8-bit graphics, here. The really old kind.

My recommendation: Make the tribble darknut a 'trojan horse' that wheels around, and when it dies the knights come out. Granted, making a horse in a 16x16 tile is kind of difficult, but it would be kind of funny.

Lotus_Eater
01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
How about that funky critter with a shell on the front many people use. Downgrade him to 8-bit and have him split into two parts when you hit him, his shell will split into two parts.

King Aquamentus
01-10-2007, 12:52 PM
so that you know, Bigjoe, we've run into a bit of a snag as far as NSFs go. Most NSF files contain the entire game on a playlist, and I don't know of any way to extract individual tracks as files. Hypercrash may have found a solution, but it's doubtful, and I don't want to just dump that whole responsibility on him.

Revfan9
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Old-Skool: I know how to extract the individual tracks. Just PM me a link to the NSF file/s you need seperated and I will do it for you.

King Aquamentus
01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
we've decided against NSFs. the current version of ZC cannot incorporate them into the quest file like it can midis, so the only alternative to getting them in would be to send them as part of the newdefault quest's zip file, which, for legal reasons, BigJoe has decided against.