PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Russ
12-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm new to the whole quest editor thing ands had a few questions:

How do you change the graphics from 8 bit to the bs and 2.10 graphics
How do you make custom enimies and bosses
How do you make custom weapons
How do you make Link look like something else (e.g. make you control zelda)
Why is it when I use the template button it only makes the floor and doors, but not the walls

Majora
12-29-2006, 01:42 PM
For changing graphics: Use a different tileset (a set of tiles that change the entire look of your quest, go to purezc.com)

Custom enemies: There are none. However,you can change hpw they look or when Zelda Classic 2.5 is released there will be an "Enemy Editor"

Custom weapons: Same as enemies, but in 2.5, there will be "Z" Items you can use to make custom weapons (to a certain extent)

Changing Link's Look: In ZQuest, go to Quest->Grapghics->Sprites-> Link

Template: Im not 100% sure but I think screen 83 in a dungeon DMap is used for the dungeon template. The walls and I think floor, aren't affected because you choose them in a different way.

Does that help any? If it doesn't someone with more ex-per-teese will reply to this eventually. :D:D:D:):):)

Russ
12-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I know you can't make custom enemies now, but I do know you can change the way they look. Can any one help me with that? Also, I can't seem to be able to change Links apperance.

The_Amaster
12-29-2006, 03:05 PM
LInk's appearence is just like what MW said. As for enemy changing, go to Quest->Graphics->Tiles, scroll down till you see aout 50 versions of the enemy you want in different poses, and overwrite those with the graphics you want. Don't just change the enemy graphic on the first screen, as that doesnt change the whole enemy.

Russ
12-30-2006, 12:31 PM
But why are there so many tiles that all look like the same thing?

The_Amaster
12-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Because each one represents one frame of the enemies animation. If you only used one for up, down, left and right, your enemey would just move over the ground with no animaiton.

Russ
12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
When I to use layers, Zquest keeps putting the ground as layer five or six, even if I paint it as layer zero. Any one no why?

Also, how make message strings appear in a normal, nothing special about it, room?

EDIT by ShadowTiger: The http://www.armageddongames.net/images/styles/classicblack/buttons/edit.gif button is what you were looking for. Two posts in a row are generally frowned upon. However, the edit button's usage is just peachy.

ShadowTiger
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
When I to use layers, Zquest keeps putting the ground as layer five or six, even if I paint it as layer zero. Any one no why?Each layer needs a different screen. They CAN refer to the same screen, but there wouldn't be much of a point to it. :p (Unless the higher uses transparency and the other doesn't. Those are rare though.

Also, how make message strings appear in a normal, nothing special about it, room?So long as the Dmap's Level number is greater than 0, you shouldn't have any problems in having a string appear (In a room with a guy, of course.) in any room. Generally, caves or dungeons are the norm though.

Russ
12-31-2006, 01:31 PM
How can they be on different screens yet effect the same screen?

The_Amaster
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
That's how layering works. Let's say I'm making a forest with transparent treetops. If the forest is on Map 5, screen 56 and I want the treetops to be on layer 3, I would, say, go to layers, and set the layer three to Map 6, screen 56. Then on map 5, screen 56, draw the treetops, but instead of having the layer 0 box checked, check the layer 3 box. Thus the treetops wil be transparent, but if you go to map 6, screne 56, then youll just see treetops floating in space. Thus it would take two maps, but the appearence of the forest on map five would include the transparent treetops. It was confusing for me first, but once you actually try it you get it. DON'T TRY TO UNDERSTAND IT, JUST FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS. THAN VIEW THE RESULTS AND YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT. TRUST ME.
(I'm asking you to not try and understand it because this is the simplest I can put it, and it's still horribly convoluted)

Russ
12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
I was following I Don't Know's ZQuest tutorial on making custom bosses and it says to use a pit combo. However, I can not find pit anywhere on the combo type list. Any one know why or know which one I can use instead?

Majora
12-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Try the "Direct Warp" combo.

Russ
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Can you make more people than the ones on the guys list and if so , how?

ShadowTiger
01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Nope, but you can draw a guy (Or use a pre-existing tile) and set it up to be a combo, and make it look and act like a guy, by placing it where the guy would normally be, and making the ACTUAL guy you're using look invisible. Thus, the combos take the place of the guy, visually. The guy is actually still there, but invisible. So you can delete the fire tile on tiles page 0. I usually use the fire guy. Easiest.

Russ
01-09-2007, 08:44 PM
In some quests I have seen a room with a floor tile that that looks like a non working warp pad that turns into an insta warp when all the enimies in the room are defeated. How do you make it do this?

The_Amaster
01-09-2007, 09:04 PM
You put the dormant one down like normal, than put Flag 16 over it, then go to Data-> Secret Combos, set the tile 16 on the last tab to the activated warp. Easy as that. (Is there a "enemies-> secret" screen flag as well? If there is, check it, if not, don't worry)

Russ
01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
What is scripting?

Majora
01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Scripting comes in 2 forms: ZScript and Zasm

Scripting as a whole can be described as thus:
Writing your own program(to use within ZC/ZQ) that would let you do things not possible with ZQ/ZC limitations. A few examples would be custom bosses, inventory modifier's, and some other ones I can't remember. Just check out the Scripting forum http://www.armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1154
and look around.

Russ
01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow that's confusing! Is there any tutorial for scripting?

Also, can you make it where you can walk on the area behind where the guys in caves and dungeons sit?

The_Amaster
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
You can't walk behind guys yet, but L's working on it. And yeah, ShadowTiger wrote some good scripting tutorials. I can't remember where they are now, tho.

Russ
01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks. I'll probably be able to find it with a search engine. Does anyone know why I can't find my tileset file when I try to import it into Zquest.

Also, how can you asign more than one dmap to the same map. e.g. make two dungeons on one map and make them different colors with different music.

The_Amaster
01-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Create two new DMaps, and assign them both to the same map. than set each one with the color/midi/whatever you want. Than when warping to that map, simple set the DMap No. to whatever DMap you want for that map.

Russ
01-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Wow, that simple! Anyways, does anyone now why to get the stairs to appear when you blow the wistle, I have to blow it twice and then the water anywhere on the map becomes walkable?

The_Amaster
01-25-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure how these work differently from each other, as I only ever use the second one, but...

1.) Whistle->Stairs Screen Flag. And set your secret combo "Stairs" to stairs(Duh) I don't know if this activates all secrets on the screen, or just the stairs.

2.) Flag 3 "Whistle" makes the combo it's over a whistle spot. if you play the whistle there, all secrets on the screen activate.

Russ
02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Well that explains it. Now, another question (or two). First, why is it that when I try to import a tileset, I look in the folder it's in and see no contents. Secondly, I have been using the pure tileset by making a copy of the 2.10 test and deleting the maps and everything, but the don't work. I'll pick them up and the number of doesn't rise or anuthing. Anyone know why?

Joe123
02-09-2007, 04:03 AM
Well don't use 2.10 test then, use the pure tileset (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=39)...

Russ
02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
You don't seem to get what I'm saying. When I try to import it, I will look in its file and zquest shows no contents of the file, like it doesn't exist or something.

Joe123
02-10-2007, 04:28 AM
With a tileset in .qst format like that one, you don't import it, it's unpassworded, so you open it like you would any quest and just use it

Russ
02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh, well that could explain. Now, three questions. First, why is it that Link's sprites all show as using the wierd first tile that looks like two and a half hearts? Second, is there any guide or something for the 2.5 beta enemy editor? And third, how do you make it where you can push large objects made of multiple combos without pushing each individual combo seperately, like in pineconn's link to the heavens demo.

Joe123
02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
well, if you're using 2.5, go into Quest --> Graphics --> Sprites --> Link and click on the boxes and set the tiles to the correct ones, which should sort out your first problem, dunno bout the others

Russ
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
How do you export tiles from one quest to another (I am using the pure tileset and what to import some tiles from 2.10 test to be used as Link's sprites).

The_Amaster
02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
If you only want a few tiles, draw them on the screen, hit the "Z" key to take a snapshot(they're named numericly, so if you've never used the snapshot function before, it'll be somthng like "zelda1") then open the other file, go to Graphics->Tiles, find some empty spaces, and hit Grab->File-> snapshot name.
You may have to recolor them, tho.

Russ
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh, I never thought about taking a snapshot. Thanks. You have answered so many of my questions that I think you deserve a slot in the credits of my first quest.

The_Amaster
02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Really? Thanks. If you ever have more questions, just ask.

Russ
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Okay, what are secondary flags and secondary secret cobos and how do they work. I think I have a basic idea of secondary secret combos: they link one to another, but I could use more info.

Joe123
02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Wellllll... Tiered flags...
You place the first flag as normal, and when you activate a secret via another flag, combo, enemies to secret etc, it changes as normal. Then, in the secret combo screen, you hold down control and click on the flag, and set it to another flag. Then, when you activate another secret after the first one, after having changed to the first one, it will then change to the flag that you've ctrl-click selected. It works with all flags, not just 16-31 remember.

You can also set up flags which switch over and back again, to replicate the up-down block type puzzles from ALTTP, LA etc. Eg, on flag 16 have the block down, Ctrl-click to flag 17 - on flag 17 have the block up, Ctrl click to flag 16. For the switch, make sure to make the flag you hit tiered to itself with Ctrl click.

The_Amaster
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I Don't Knows tutorial has a good description, but basicly, like Joe said, only mines the understand it not how to do it version. Normally when you activate a secret combo, the new combo is basicly blank. It has inherent stats and solidity and stuff, but you can't make it do anything. Tiered secrets make it so you could step on a switch to make an eye appear, than hit the eye with an arrow to make the bridge appear Have a river, than have some flags where you want the bridge, say flag 18, which is then a river combo, so when you step on the switch, it changes from river to river, than say flag 19 for the bridge, which you hold down Ctrl and click on, select flag 18, so that the following happens.

Step on the switch. The river tiles change(stay the same) to river tiles, and the eye appears.
Hit the eye with an arrow. The new river combos change to bridge, and the eye closes like normal.
This is all based on the fact that when you activate secrets, all secrest on the screen activate, so you have to stack them in levels.
As in:
Switch-Level 1 secrets activate, river and eye.
Eye-Level 2 secrets activate, closed eye and bridge.
But the only way to get the bridge on level 2 is to stack a level of combos beneath it, or else the bridge and the eye would show up when you step on the switch.

(Hmm, I guess that was a "How to do it".)

Russ
02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Okay, a little confusd on that bit, but oh well:shrug: . New question: what do temporary and permanent trigger type combos do?

The_Amaster
02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
If I recall, a permanent trigger can only be triggered once, wheareas the temporary resets after you leave the screen, I think. My memory is a bit hazy tho. I know that they activate secrets.

Russ
02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Okay, I get it. And no for another question (the title of this tread "a few questions" really should be changed). How do you make wistle warps where wenever you blow it, it takes you to one of many certain places if you've een their before. For instance, in the origanal, when you blow the wistle, it takes you back and forth between dungeon entrances in screens that you have already visited.

The_Amaster
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Under Quest->Misc. Data-> Whistle Warps, you can set the screens you warp to.

erm2003
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
A bit more specific... the number for the whistle warp corresponds to the level number of the triforce piece. In other words, if you collected the triforce piece from the dmaps with level numbers 1 and 2, the first and second whistle warps will also be active.

Pineconn
02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
And a neat trick - when you blow the whistle, you'll get warped to say Level 5. If you face left when you blow it again, you'll warp to 4, then 3, etc. If you face right as you blow it (as it leaves you facing after the whirlwind drops you off), you'll go to 6, then 7, etc.

bluedeath
02-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Pm me for puzzle idea's :D I'm working on my first quest too but i know alot of things :)

Russ
02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Wait, if each wistle warp activaes when the corospondind triforce is obtained, then why is there a number nine?

Pineconn
02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah, we're* not so sure about that either. We† think that in the original LoZ, when you played the whistle directly coming out of Level 8, you'd get warped to Level 9. Or maybe that is currently implemented...

* I'm
† I

Russ
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay, I am trying to make a quest with freeform dungeons. I relize that in freeform dungeons, Link normally walks over the top of the doors. However, when I put overhead combos ontop, Link still walks over them. How do I fix this. (P.S. Pineconn, you're right about the ropes. There standard movement in the origanal is moonslithering.)

Edit: Strange, the overhead combos work for offcenter doors I make, but not for auto doors.

Edit: Never mind. Figured out doors are made out of combos not tiles and you have to select the overhead combo in the door combo editor, not place them manualy.

erm2003
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
The auto doors may not be set up to use overhead combos. Make sure the door template is using combos that are set to overhead or just draw them in yourself to get them to work right.

Russ
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Amaster42, you said I Don't Know's tutorial had a section on secondary flags, but I can't find it. Where is it? And another question, how can you import csets, or at least import colors? (I always do the "rough draft" of my quests in the origanal tileset and it doesn't give much options for colors.

Edit: Sudenly, after downloading a couple of midis, all the music in Zelda Classic stopped playing. The sound effects still work though. Does anyone know why?

Edit: I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program. It didn't work

Joe123
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
You know, I've never noticed that section in it either. To import Csets, you go to Quest->Graphics->Palettes, select the one you want to rip into and click on grab, then file to select the file. Pretty self explaintory from there.

No ideas about your music problems though - unless you have mute on or something :p

Russ
03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
What tiles are used for the shockwaves that appear once you kill Ganon. And please, does anyone know why the music on Zelda Classic isn't working. If it helps, it doesn't work on the beta versions either.

Edit: Never mind about the sound, it came back on on its own. But please, what tile are used for the shockwaves that come out when you kill Ganon.

Russ
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Sorry for the double post but the edit button wasn't working. Please, somebody answer the question I asked:mad: . And by the way, are there any recomandations for a good tileset, perferably one where I won't have to import csets and stuuf like that?

Joe123
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Good tileset? Have you tried Pure or DoR?

Russ
03-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Okay, now for a question that will have an answer I probably won't understand. Events. How do you do them in 2.10. For example, I wan't it to look first as if a village is being overrun by monsters. Then you defeat the king inside dungeon two, and the village then looks like the monsters are gone and it is being repaired.

Joe123
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
You could do it so that when you leave level 2, you enter a different overworld, which would look exactly the same, but would have the new village in it - although it restricts the non-essential items you can put in up until that point, and takes lots of work. You can do it using the 'Dungeon Boss' flag on the screen where you kill the king, and on the screens you want to change in the village. You then put the 'trigger' enemy on those screens also, and it changes any secret flags when you renter the screens. You can't change what monsters are on the screens this way however, and the village screens must have the same leve number as the 'king' boss.
A way that combines the two would be to have only one entrance to the village, and have no enemies on that screen. The way you originally got from that screen to the village was via a side warp. Have the screen that is the entrance to the village on the same dungeon number as the boss (so you'd have to have it on a different dmap to the village and rest of overworld), and then have the 'Dungeon Boss' flag and 'Enemies -> Secret' flag ticked on the king's room. In the entrance to the village, have 'Dungeon Boss' ticked and a trigger enemy in the room. Have flag 16 at the very edge of the screen leading to the village, and have it be the tile that was down before, but this time with a 'stairs' combo. Have the tile warp take you to a new village screen, where the village is being rebuilt.
There could be other ways, but not that I can think of - you could just wait for 2.5 and Room State Carryovers though.

Russ
03-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Okay, quite simple. Now, how do you make cutseens where the subscreen bar at the top of the screen dissapears?

Majora
03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Press F9, and check a box that says "no subscreen"; not only can you not Pause the game, but the part where your hearts/magic etc are, will not be there.

The_Amaster
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Another usefull tip, use the "Invisible Link" screen flag for scenes that don't use Link. Just a word of advice.

Russ
03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Okay, I don't know how I could have found the invisable Link flag but not the no subscreen one. Thanks! Now for a few questions concerning the lens of truth. How do you make it where a combo, when viewed through the lens of truth, flashes white? And can you make it where certain combos appear different when viewed with the lens of truth?

The_Amaster
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
I suppose that the way to do it would be to set flashing and/or different combos for the desired secret combos on the screen.

Russ
03-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, please, I posted this question two weeks ago. What tiles are used for the shockvae things that fly out from the dust pile once you kill Ganon?

Luigi
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay, please, I posted this question two weeks ago. What tiles are used for the shockvae things that fly out from the dust pile once you kill Ganon?

Tiles 194, 195 and 196.

Joe123
03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
The lens of truth picks up on all flags you place down. If you put flags 16-32, it shows what they will change to, others have a symbol of some kind. If you put flag 14 (Lens Marker Flag) I think it flashes when you use the lens of truth.

Russ
04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Okay, I have a mp3 file I want to use for my quest. But Zquest qill only load midi files. Is there any way I can format the file so I can load it into Zquest?

erm2003
04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
You can use mp3 files but they are handled differently than midis. Go to the dmap settings and load it under the other music options (where it gives you the option to browse instead of just selecting a midi). The problem is an mp3 is too large to be embedded in a quest file so it must be packaged with the quest making the file size much larger. It then must be located in the same directory as the quest file when playing.

Pineconn
04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
But please don't overuse mp3 files! It's never a good thing when we download 20 megabyte quests, in which 2 megs are the quest and the other 18 are mp3s.

thebetter1
04-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Well that explains it. Now, another question (or two). First, why is it that when I try to import a tileset, I look in the folder it's in and see no contents. Secondly, I have been using the pure tileset by making a copy of the 2.10 test and deleting the maps and everything, but the don't work. I'll pick them up and the number of doesn't rise or anuthing. Anyone know why?

To import a tileset, go into a quest which uses the tileset and then go to "Export" in the File menu. Choose either "Graphics Pack" or "Quest Template." Graphics pack will give you all the tiles and combos, but the Link tiles won't be set correctly. To get around this, you can export the quest template, but then all the quest rules and other stuff will still be set the same way as in the original file. After clicking what you want to export, save it with whatever name you want and in any folder you want, but remember where it is.

To use the exported file, create a new quest, click import in the File menu, and import the same thing that you exported. Load the file the same way you open a file, and then the quest will be using whatever you exported from the tileset quest.

EDIT: Sorry about this post, I didn't notice that there were more pages after the first one.

Russ
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
It's quite alright. In fact, I did not know you could import like this. I thought the only way was to use the example quest the tileset came in.:) This really helps me, as half the tiles I needed were in one tileset and half in another. Thanks!