PDA

View Full Version : N64 -> Game Cube -> Wii Comparison

War Lord
12-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Found these 3 shots posted on another forum, figured I'd post them here:

N64

http://n64media.ign.com/media/previews/image/smashbro11.jpg

Game Cube:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/727/727812/super-smash-bros-brawl-20060823080628556.jpg

Wii

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/727/727812/super-smash-bros-brawl-20060823080620318.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nicholas Steel
12-25-2006, 02:58 AM
this makes me want the wii more :P and looking at the box for TP i found they reused the wii pictures on the gamecube box... which is retarded and deceptive.

the wii <-> gamecube comparison would be better if they took the same photo from the same game.

Imprisoned
12-25-2006, 08:25 AM
TP Link looks younger than SSBM; which is true, well done Nintendo...

But I really don't find a reason why people are complaining about Wii's graphics. Just look at that picture...

@franpa: You're right, from SSBM and SSBB... 2 pictures of diff. Links facing the same direction.

MottZilla
12-25-2006, 01:20 PM
As I remember, the Wii version and GC version of TP are identical graphically. So it's unfair to compare SSBM Link with TP Link anyway. By the way, your picture is not the Wii version of TP as Link is left-handed. On Wii he's a righty.

War Lord
12-25-2006, 01:56 PM
All shots are from Smash Bros. games I believe. Not 100% sure as I haven't played any of them. I do believe the thread I found them in was comparing characters from all 3 systems.

AtmaWeapon
12-25-2006, 02:28 PM
this makes me want the wii more :P and looking at the box for TP i found they reused the wii pictures on the gamecube box... which is retarded and deceptive.

the wii <-> gamecube comparison would be better if they took the same photo from the same game.It's deceptive but not uncommon. Look on the back of games that are available on multiple platforms and you'll find the PS2 games typically feature screenshots from the XBox or XBox 360 version.

I think one of the primary reasons is they only have to layout and print a single box art set but there's also some marketing going on there.

MottZilla
12-25-2006, 03:49 PM
All shots are from Smash Bros. games I believe. Not 100% sure as I haven't played any of them. I do believe the thread I found them in was comparing characters from all 3 systems.

Oh I forget about SSB Brawl. Still, Link could have looked much moer detailed on GameCube than he did. It's not a very good representation of the GameCube's capability.

vegeta1215
12-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh I forget about SSB Brawl. Still, Link could have looked much moer detailed on GameCube than he did. It's not a very good representation of the GameCube's capability.

True, but remember SSBM came out early in the the Gamecube's life cycle. I'm very intereted in hearing more about Brawl, and really hoping they add some kind of online play.

Nicholas Steel
12-25-2006, 07:56 PM
TP Link looks younger than SSBM; which is true, well done Nintendo...

But I really don't find a reason why people are complaining about Wii's graphics. Just look at that picture...

@franpa: You're right, from SSBM and SSBB... 2 pictures of diff. Links facing the same direction.
i was referring to showing TP from both the gamecube and wii versions... but if its the same graphicaly then it cant be... theres gotta be a difference theres just gotta be :'( why spend lotsa money on a gamecube then? (by lotsa i mean like 200$ AUD total and that this cost includes things like hand controllers memory cards and maybe the game aswell)

MottZilla
12-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean Franpa. The Wii and GameCube Twilight Princess is identical other than controller differences and a mirroring to make Link appear right-handed. Graphical detail is exactly the same. No retexturing, higher resolution textures, or more detailed models of any kind. Exactly the same. This is because doing those would have required even more development time for an already delayed as hell game.

Dechipher
12-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I believe the dual versions is so Gamecube owners can play Twilight Princess and won't have to wait due to the shortage of Wiis.

ShadowTiger
12-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I heard (And I will stress that :eyebrow: ) that the GCN version has "better" controls in terms of looking around, and overall camera controls, than the Wii version. Is this because of the fewer variety of buttons on the wiimote or something? I've never even seen one in person though, keep in mind. They just haven't been in stores near me. L_L'

goKi
12-26-2006, 12:13 AM
I think one of the main reasons we will not be seeing SSBB until 2nd quarter 2007 is because of online functionality. It has alot of potential to be one of the best online games ever.

AtmaWeapon
12-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I heard (And I will stress that :eyebrow: ) that the GCN version has "better" controls in terms of looking around, and overall camera controls, than the Wii version. Is this because of the fewer variety of buttons on the wiimote or something? I've never even seen one in person though, keep in mind. They just haven't been in stores near me. L_L'

I would believe that. One of my initial gripes about the Wii version was that without the C-stick to freely move the camera around, the camera becomes a menace and often I am not looking in the direction I want.

goKi
12-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Never once had an issue with the camera on the Wii version. Not once. The only time i used the C-Stick for the camera in Wind Waker was while sailing. It's not a severe problem, hell, it's not even a minor problem, because it's not even a problem at all.

Warlock
12-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Right that's a texture and modeling issue, not a technical one. The comparison between the N64 one and the GameCube one is probably a bit more apt - not so much in that OoT was rather early in the N64 lifecycle, but overall there wasn't a lot more than could have been done (smoothly) with N64 hardware. So the GC version was a natural progression.

But yeah, it's more fair to compare the GC version of TP to the Wii version - that is, if the Wii version was not just a cheap-ass point of the GC version (where graphics are concerned at least).

ONeilcool
12-26-2006, 02:59 AM
I think one of the main reasons we will not be seeing SSBB until 2nd quarter 2007 is because of online functionality. It has alot of potential to be one of the best online games ever.

I would like to think that, But I noticed that the Wiiconnect24 is super slow.I couldn't imagine any game being able to be played online, let alone a fast pace game such as Super Smash.

Assuming Brawl keeps up the speed from meele, I don't think it would be possible to play online without some intense lag. If you have ever seen professinal play SSBM or just anyones who's just really good they have to time some of their moves down to the frame. Even though Nintendo might try, I sadly think it will be a horrible faliure.

MottZilla
12-26-2006, 03:51 AM
I would like to think that, But I noticed that the Wiiconnect24 is super slow.I couldn't imagine any game being able to be played online, let alone a fast pace game such as Super Smash.

Assuming Brawl keeps up the speed from meele, I don't think it would be possible to play online without some intense lag. If you have ever seen professinal play SSBM or just anyones who's just really good they have to time some of their moves down to the frame. Even though Nintendo might try, I sadly think it will be a horrible faliure.

Matches would be played peer to peer, not hosted on a server, like all non-mmorpg online games. This means even if their match making service is slow and annoying, once you get in a game the performance would be based on your connection with your opponent(s). Xbox 360 already has a SSB-like game for the arcade called Small Arms.