PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Princess <3

Michaelk88
12-23-2006, 02:29 AM
IMO it is the best zelda game EVER!

Here is my new lineup:

Twilight Princess - Introduces alot of new items.
Wind Waker - Same basically.
Ocrina of Time - 1st 3D Zelda
Link to the Past - Basically hyrule with wind waker theme before the flood.
Legend of Zelda - 1st Zelda ever. Note: this does not include ZC quests.
Majora's Mask - Didnt like
Adventures of Link - Didnt like becuase it goes away from the tradation of using hearts.

I LOVED the spinner top and how it rides along the rails in the 4th dungeon and the boss. (When I 1st picked this item up, 1st thing I though: Links got Spinnaz). The boss in dungeon 3 WAS HUGE.

Now I'm playing it on my Gamecube becuase I cant find nor afford a Wii.

I cant wait 'till Nintendo comes with something even more innovative.

Nicholas Steel
12-23-2006, 02:43 AM
IMO it is the best zelda game EVER!

Here is my new lineup:
Twilight Princess - Introduces alot of new items.
Wind Waker - Same basically.
Ocrina of Time - 1st 3D Zelda
Link to the Past - Basically hyrule with wind waker theme before the flood.
Legend of Zelda - 1st Zelda ever. Note: this does not include ZC quests.
Majora's Mask - Didnt like (why?)
Adventures of Link - Didnt like becuase it goes away from the tradation of using hearts. (you are a moron for clearly compairing games against something completly different... this game is plain and simply different from the rest in the series, LIVE WITH IT, do you here people complaining that super mario rpg is completly different from other games in the series or that mario64 is different?)

I LOVED the spinner top and how it rides along the rails in the 4th dungeon and the boss. (When I 1st picked this item up, 1st thing I though: Links got Spinnaz). The boss in dungeon 3 WAS HUGE.

Now I'm playing it on my Gamecube becuase I cant find nor afford a Wii.

I cant wait 'till Nintendo comes with something even more innovative.

addes some questions and stuff in the quote.

Michaelk88
12-23-2006, 02:48 AM
1. Majora's mask had the time thing.
2. Yea your right... I should also add Super Mario World 3 while im at it

Nicholas Steel
12-23-2006, 02:50 AM
SMW 3? where can i get this game? if your sarcastic about it, why? i dont get what you meant.

edit: MM is ok, yea the timer is annoying but it IS still a good game to play.

goKi
12-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Convert Twilight Princess to Palm, please.

Dragon Omega
12-23-2006, 11:09 AM
I LIKED Majora's Mask thank you very much. What? Some one had to stick up for the little guy. Anyway, I haven't played Twilight Princess yet, but it seems very interesting. :mischief:

vegeta1215
12-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I can't believe how many people on the Internet are saying Twilight Princess is the best Zelda ever. It is needs a lot more before it reaches that level.

I beat TP just a little while ago, so I may post a sort of review soon.

Dechipher
12-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Ocarina of Time is a better game, but Majora's Mask is more fun to play. There's so much to do, and if you use the ocarina to slow down time, then the time thing really isn't that big of a deal.

Link to the Past was fun, basically just Ocarina (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

Adventure of Link was actually a blast to play. It still felt like a Zelda game even though it felt totally different than any others. It played more like Battle of Olympus, which is a kickass game, so I can't complain.

Of course the original Zelda was fun.

TP, haven't played yet.

I'm currently replaying Wind Waker, and I have to say it's really really fun. I can't put it down, even though I've beaten it before. People bitched about it at first, but I think Nintendo did something right with that game. Also the story was I think one of the best so far, because it tied in really well with Ocarina/LTTP.
Why didn't you mention Links Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, FSA, or Minish Cap?

Darth Marsden
12-23-2006, 04:57 PM
The only thing wrong with Wind Waker was the huge amount of sailing that got right on your tits if you were trying for all the sidequests. Also Adventure of Link is, in my opinion, more fun to play than the original Zelda. Let the flaming begin.

Most people don't mention Link's Awakening, The Orcale twins, Four Swords or Minish Cap because they're either multiplayer or on a handheld console. Also, for some reason some people don't view them as proper Zelda games because they're not made by Nintendo (Capcom made all those save LA, I believe). I very much enjoyed Minish Cap, though I haven't really played The Orcale pair or LA enough to judge.

Also haven't played TP yet. Amazon have screwed up and I probably won't get the thing til after New Years, but I'm that bothered - just irritated they never bothered to tell me. I had to check my order status to find out.

I'm also not a huge fan of Majora's Mask, but that's mostly to do with the fact that I don't like being rushed to do things. If there were no time limit, I've no doubt this would be one of my favourite Zeldas, but as it is, it drops a few places. I'm not denying it's a good game ('cause it is), I'm just pointing out that because of the implyed feeling of being hurried, I place others in the series above it.

And I believe that sums up my feelings about the Zelda series.

CJC
12-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Twilight Princess was good. I wouldn't say it was the best game in the series, though. It was definitely the longest, or at least the longest main plot. It was still a little predictable, though, even up to the last boss. There was only really one plot point that suprised me.

Link's Awakening was the only gameboy game produced solely by Nintendo, and the story was really amazing. Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons were both outsourced to Capcom, and they seemed like clones of Link's Awakening to a degree. Also, their layering and mechanics were sub-par for a GBC game in that time period. They could have improved on LA's engine, but they were lazy.

A Link to the Past would have to be my all-time favorite Zelda game, though. I like the whole 'dark world' concept, and how they manipulated the game's surroundings based on the feelings of its light-world equivalent. Ocarina of Time tried to do this as well, but it was less special the second time around.

I didn't like The Adventure of Link for one reason and one alone. It was way too hard, I couldn't beat it. I suppose I may have missed out on a pretty good game, but I refuse to play it because of its rediculous difficulty level.

I enjoyed Wind Waker. There weren't a lot of people that liked the cel shading, but I thought it was stylistic and innovative. I didn't like that they made a slew of other Zelda games reusing those graphics, though (I'm looking at Four Swords Adventures and Minish Cap).

So yes, Twilight Princess is good. Is it the best Zelda yet? Well, I wouldn't give it that much. It had a lot of really good tools for your inventory, but most only got a few uses before being forgotten completely. A better Zelda game (Like Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker) forces you to reuse the tools in new situations.
I'd say this one is around the third or fourth best of all the games. It was good, but it could have been better.

Nicholas Steel
12-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Link's Awakening was the only gameboy game produced solely by Nintendo, and the story was really amazing. Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons were both outsourced to Capcom, and they seemed like clones of Link's Awakening to a degree. Also, their layering and mechanics were sub-par for a GBC game in that time period. They could have improved on LA's engine, but they were lazy. /these games are just what i expect from many game companies and always get disappointed... its the same game with a new quest... what more could you ask for? similar to mario bros the lost levels and mario bros...

I didn't like The Adventure of Link for one reason and one alone. It was way too hard, I couldn't beat it. I suppose I may have missed out on a pretty good game, but I refuse to play it because of its rediculous difficulty level. /its difficulty was at the time on par with mario bros... however, i could not beat it due to the games obscurity to the hidden village which you MUST visit in order to complete dungeon 7 because you need the magic key.

statement's are in the quote.

The_Amaster
12-24-2006, 12:26 AM
LttP was really good, although Link ran a bit to fast for me.

Windwaker had great gameplay and story, but the graphics were a bit too...wierd for it to be among my top.

OoT is awsome, I can still play it over and over.

My main point for this post, however, concerns the Oracles games.
I personaly felt that they were up among the top. Aside from the fact that they introduced me to Zelda, it is worth pointing out that both made it to fairly high spots (40something and 30 somthing I belive) on Nintendo Powers "Top 200 Nintendo Games of All Time", which I think says something. Add to that the graphical sophistcation for a GBC and the link factor, and the oracles games are very bit as good as their straight-Nintendo counterparts.

Orion
12-24-2006, 01:22 AM
I love TP, great game, but yeah, certainly not the best. I haven't beat it yet, but the entire game, I get the distinct feeling that I've played this game before, in say, 1998. I don't think it's a failure of the game itself though, it's just I think Nintendo might need to change something to keep every game from feeing too much the same. Unfortunately, in their recent attempts at doing that (namely, WW), people bitched. People whined until we got a "Mature" zelda game, and now it's somewhat predictable.

For it's part, I think TP introduced a lot of new stuff, and I like it because it feels more like an 8-dungeon romp than the traditional 3 dungeons/plot twist/5 dungeons/recap final level setup.

Long story short, like every other Nintendo franchise that's been around for more than 10 years, the games are all starting to feel the same.

Grasshopper
12-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Here is my new lineup:
7. Adventures of Link - Didnt like becuase it goes away from the tradation of using hearts.

^^^ That smells like a "Gannon-Ban (http://www.gannon-banned.com/)" ;)

Link to the Past was fun, basically just Ocarina (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)
What? Thats poppycock. What nonsense is this you speak of? You speak as if Ocarina of Time came out prior to A Link to the Past. Thats pure treachery. I shake my fist at you.

:D

In my opinion though, aLttP and LA will forever be my top two Zelda games.

Dechipher
12-24-2006, 02:15 AM
^^^ That smells like a "Gannon-Ban (http://www.gannon-banned.com/)" ;)

What? Thats poppycock. What nonsense is this you speak of? You speak as if Ocarina of Time came out prior to A Link to the Past. Thats pure treachery. I shake my fist at you.

:D

In my opinion though, aLttP and LA will forever be my top two Zelda games.

I know, I said Ocarina previously in my post, and so was referencing the timeline of my post rather than the games.
So there. What now?

Gerudo
12-24-2006, 02:44 AM
this post possibly contains spoilers for those who havent played at least 5 hours of Twilight Princess. Don't want spoiled, skip over my post.

I think Nintendo might need to change something to keep every game from feeing too much the same. Unfortunately, in their recent attempts at doing that (namely, WW), people bitched. People whined until we got a "Mature" zelda game, and now it's somewhat predictable.
Nintendo did change something, it's called a darker storyline, imo the darkest in LoZ history. I love the storyline so far, -=SPOILER=- Most of the game seems like 'been there, done that' because of OoT. The controls are basically the same (the gcn port), and it introduces a spin on old gameplay mechanics -=SPOILER=-.

I don't really get when you say predictable. I must not be enough a hardcore Zelda gamer, but none of the game so far to me has been predictable.

Orion
12-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't mean predictable story-wise, I mean gameplay-wise. The way the game is set up and such. The game starts out in a little village, eventually you go to the same environment-themed dunegeons you always do (save for one or two at the end, which were ok), with puzzles that are reasonable easy to figure out.

Btw, was it just me, or did the dungeons all seem a bit short? I felt like each one I entered I was able to get through within an hour or two of seeing it. It seems like they spent a lot of time making them pretty and practical (and for the most part they are very beautiful), but not real challenging.

I really don't mean to come down on this game so hard, it is really one of the better ones I've played in a long time, but either I'm just getting old, or the formula is getting stale.

vegeta1215
12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I love TP, great game, but yeah, certainly not the best. I haven't beat it yet, but the entire game, I get the distinct feeling that I've played this game before, in say, 1998. I don't think it's a failure of the game itself though, it's just I think Nintendo might need to change something to keep every game from feeling too much the same. Unfortunately, in their recent attempts at doing that (namely, WW), people bitched. People whined until we got a "Mature" zelda game, and now it's somewhat predictable.

I feel the same way. Once I stepped into Hyrule field and proceeded from then on, the game just felt too familiar. (it didn't help that the Twilight areas came and went so quickly) I liked a lot of the new things in the game, but overall the game didn't feel new. I think that's why I liked Wind Waker so much - it's style alone made everything feel new.

I think it's a combination of things that prevent the game from topping it's predecessors, but I'm sure it doesn't help me that I'm just too good at Zelda now (figuring out the puzzles and such). I personally think the formula is getting old. As I posted in another thread, what's next for the Zelda series? I think something bold and new needs to happen.

MANDRAG GANON
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
LTTP was my favorite Zelda game by far. Hands down. I had so much fun playing this game and still do, I could replay this game forever.

AoL was not hard...? I beat that game when I was 8 multiple times. I was 8. Also this is ony of my favorite Zelda games. I'll admit the diffiulty was a bit high but if you played NES games at the time, it was on level, look at all the Megaman games, those were harder than this game.

Tho I also do not like being hurried through a game, Majoras Mask is also a favorite of mine, the song to slow time cured my hurriedness. I loved the world and the characters.

Wind Waker...well Winder Waker was very slow paced if you ask me, it had a lot of cool things about it that if tweaked I think it could have been the best zelda game. Like maybe dampen the boat usage, I really was hoping for one huge island somewhere on that map :uhoh: Also collecting triforce pieces, like... 8 or 9 hours or something, i dunno that was tedious as hell though.

I haven't beat Twilight Princess yet... Its good, for sure its good, but its hardly the best. Maybe I just had high hopes for it, but there was alot of dissapointments. I figured the game would be more of a world without limitations, rather than sectioned little areas, I figured if there was a forest in your way, you could walk through it not be mysteriously blocked by it. Generally this game is easy as well, the bosses last like 2 minutes if that (though they are so fun, im sure there is not feature that lets you go back and fight them tho im sure)
Goodly and Badly. *shrugs*

Nicholas Steel
12-25-2006, 02:52 AM
yep i can pretty much start playing AoL anytime and do either great or even finish it if i wanted to... where as now all the megaman games on the NES are just to damn hard mostly due to the general level of precision needed.

DarkDragoonX
12-26-2006, 01:01 AM
yep i can pretty much start playing AoL anytime and do either great or even finish it if i wanted to... where as now all the megaman games on the NES are just to damn hard mostly due to the general level of precision needed.

What kind of drugs are you on? The Mega Man games are all incredibly easy. The only game in the entire series that I could consider even remotely difficult is the first game, and it's still not that hard once you've figured it out.

erm2003
12-26-2006, 01:25 AM
What kind of drugs are you on? The Mega Man games are all incredibly easy. The only game in the entire series that I could consider even remotely difficult is the first game, and it's still not that hard once you've figured it out.

I second that. The Mega Man games were all very easy for me compared to AoL. I still think they are great though. Thank you Capcom for the anniversary collection!

Dechipher
12-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Weird, it's the opposite for me. AoL wasn't that bad at all, once I got used to it. Megaman pissed me off to no end.

DarkDragoonX
12-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Yeah, AoL isn't nearly as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. I might not be the best judge of Mega Man difficulty, though. After I got the first game, I spent literally several hours every day playing through that damn game for like a month. Sadly, that practice has continued for every Mega Man release since. At this point, I'm fairly certain that scientists could find tiny megamen running about in my bloodstream.

The game that always gave me a headache was Marble Madness. To this day, I'm still no good at that god forsaken game. Fuck you, Marble Madness. Fuck you.

Nicholas Steel
12-27-2006, 03:26 AM
AoL was not hard...?

remove the word not and you will stunningly make sense... megaman 3 at the time was easy and could be beaten in my sleep... but after many many years its just not a game i can pick up and play like a pro from the get go... unlike AoL.

Orion
12-27-2006, 01:46 PM
AoL is a cakewalk once you know where you are going and you level up properly. Hell, the last level lets you start there again and again even if you get a Game Over there. It's definetly a right bit more difficult than most Zelda titles, but it's a welcome challenge, and I think the newer Zelda titles are too easy anyway. It makes Zelda II unique.

Shyvus
12-28-2006, 03:45 AM
So far I'm pleased with Twilight Princess... On the Gamecube.

The swordplay is a little easier to get a handle on for the Wii, but the control is so much better with the Gamecube.

And fishing with the Wii = shiners. I smacked myself in the face doing that. It was pathetic.

Haven't gotten far enough in the game to comment on much more than that. All I can say is I like my Gamecube. I will leave the rest to their Wiis.

vegeta1215
12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I have a question that I was hoping someone can answer for me. The treasure chest that you see when you exit through the South Gate of Hyrule Castle Town that sits above the fountain...how the heck do you get that?

It looks like there is a passageway that leads to it, but I cannot find it. I know it only contains rupees (since I've gotten all the heart pieces), but it's really bugging me that I can't get to it.

Pineconn
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Seriously, I don't know either. I completely missed that treasure chest on my first play-through - I just saw it a few days ago. Just for fun, I'll try to get it tonight. But I almost swear it's impossible to get it.

Anyway, AoL is undoubtly one of the hardest Zelda games. You know why? Because it's so different. Twilight Princess wasn't that hard to me since I'm generally a pro to the series's engine. But I played AoL about a year ago and died.... many times. It just has the hardest end boss.

All right, time to get that chest on the fountain...

mikeron
12-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Check Plus for presentation.
Check Minus for lack of arrow drops.

Nicholas Steel
12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
wtf are you on about with saying "check plus" and "check minus"?

Pineconn
12-29-2006, 11:01 PM
For Twilight Princess, I assume. As in the presentation was good, but there weren't many arrow drops.

Which is a good thing, to me. A reason The Wind Waker was so easy is that there were way too many bomb and arrow drops. This is fixed in TP by fewer arrow drops and virtually zero bomb drops. This gives you reason to go into shops, which I never did in WW.

Shyvus
12-30-2006, 12:02 AM
And now for a completely pointless bit of information:

Zelda is gorgeous. Wow.

vegeta1215
12-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Check Plus for presentation.
Check Minus for lack of arrow drops.

Who needs arrows drops when you can just buy them? The game gives you so many damn rupees that I was wasting them just so I could continue opening the treasure chests in dungeons (so I wouldn't backtrack later to get them).

All I can say is at least they give you something to waste the rupees on. (magical armor)

Pineconn
12-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Vegeta, I can't believe I figured out how to get that chest. It really took some searching. I have the GCN version, so if you have the Wii version, you'll obviously have to flip east and west, as well as left and right.

First, note the two pillars north of the fountain. Look at the top of the eastern one - there is a Clawshot platform. Clawshot it and drop down to a small ledge. Next, you'll have to use the Spinner on the track that connects the two pillars. You'll then have to jump off the track onto the platform with the chest with excellent timing. This will score you an orange Rupee.

But wait! There's more! Clawshot the Clawshot platform again. You must aim at the top of it. If you do, Link will grab to the top of the pillar. Transform into a wolf and walk across the rope in order to reach a small platform. Transform back into a human and slowly walk off the platform so Link will grab onto it. While hanging, have Link move across the small ledge (that's grooved into the castle gate) onto an identical platform. (That sentence has a lot of prepositions!) Transform back into a wolf and walk across the other rope. You will now be on the western pillar. Open the chest for another orange Rupee.

Sweet deal, huh?

Dragon Omega
12-30-2006, 01:23 AM
I thought the final boss in AoL was easy.
I generally have a harder time getting to him than beating him.

I usually never went into shops unless I REALLY needed something. I guess with fewer arrow drops I'll be forced to shop more. :mischief:

mikeron
12-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Who needs arrows drops when you can just buy them? The game gives you so many damn rupees that I was wasting it just so I could continue opening the treasure chests in dungeons (so I wouldn't backtrack later to get them).

All I can say is at least they give you something to waste the rupees on. (magical armor)

Yes, I am sick of the fucking rupees.

Cloral
12-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Seriously. There's way too many rupees and not enough to spend them on. I'm just at the start of the 5th dungeon and I've already got the magic armor. There's the beggar I can donate 1000 rupees to to get a piece of heart, but at the rate I've been getting rupees that isn't going to take much longer.

One of the things I've been missing from the more recent Zelda games is the premium items. Things that you didn't need to get but could be useful in some situations. Like in Link to the Past, you had the Magic Cape, the Cane of Bynra, the medallions (and yes, you did need 2 of them to open levels, but other than that they were basically powerful spells you could use whenever you were willing to use up that much magic), and so on. In TP, whenever you find a secret location, you know it is going to be either money or a piece of heart. And while the hearts are nice, the game really isn't that hard so they don't make much of a difference. If they had put a magic meter in this game, they could've hidden spells or wands or the cape - things that you could decide to use when you wanted to that would make you glad you found them.

redmage777
12-30-2006, 02:58 PM
I currently just got to The Sk--- I mean "Level 7" So far its a great game. Maybe not the best, but I don't know if I could even name any of them as being "The Best." Every one of them has some kind of quark that throws it off. I'm really hoping that the final stage is NOT the "Enviromental Reveiw" sort that we have seen in past games.

As for Optional Items, the Spider Bombs are the only thing that come to mind, I've yet to find any real use for them, Bomb arrows seem to work much better. The Hidden Skills could qualiffy, none of them seem to be required, but they do come in handy some times. One of them is partcularly helpful in "Level 6" when dealing with Armos, before they can pose a serious threat.

Cloral
12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah I hadn't thought about the sword techniques. Then again it doesn't seem like you need to use them that much. Most of the fighting I've done thus far has been either Z-target and slice, or spin slash. Overall, having more dangerous enemies would've been a good idea.

vegeta1215
12-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I use the helm splitter and backslice quite a bit when fighting. The mortal draw is really cool too. Overall I think the sword techniques are great and it's one of the new things they did with TP that I really like.

btw, Pineconn, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out soon. (I got the second rupee you mentioned where you have to hang from the edge and move)

Orion
12-31-2006, 12:15 AM
To get that chest ouside of South Castle town, you will need the item you get in Level 4, as well as clawshot up to that place mentioned before.

Shoelace
12-31-2006, 03:35 PM
This is my Zelda game list, TP is number two, and here are my opinions:

1. Ocarina of Time: This game was probably the most unique game I have ever played. It was special because at that time it was the best you could do a that time. It was nearly perfect in everyway.

2. Twilight Princess: This game got the OoT style and polished it. This game wasn't as unique as OoT but it the dungeon design was at its best. The Sound, linear style, and lack of sidequests, made this Zelda settle for number 2.

3. Majora's Mask: This may be the most underrated Zelda game. This game was great. The sidequests in this game are unmatched by any other Zelda game. This game had so many meaning. It had so much to do in the game, however, 4 dungeons wasn't enough.

4. A Link to the Past: This was the game that made Zelda in the spotlight. Its gameplay was flawless. Best SNES to date. Very Unique.

5. The Wind Waker: This great was underrated because of the graphics. However, it was a great game. But it was boring at times. It seemed that you had to do things that was unnecessary. Dungeon's were awesome however, too few of them.

6. Oracle of Ages: This was my favorite out of the Oracle series. It was old school and had great puzzles. It was also a challenge which was very welcome in the Zelda series.

7. Link's Awakening: It was basically aLttP on the Gameboy, however, it went through its limitations and made it a very enjoyable Zelda game.

8. Minish Cap: This was enjoyable, but didn't have any uniqueness to me. It was way too short but at least it had some sidequests.

9. Legend of Zelda: Great game when it came out. First Zelda, first game with battery memory, first game to have the overview adventure, and was freakin' awesome. I remember playing this for hours and hours when I was a kid. It was my favorite game back then. However, compared to the others, it comes in 9th place.

10. Oracle of Seasons: Basically the same as Ages, the season thing was awesome, which is why I put it in my fangame. This was a great game but it was easier compared to Ages which is why it is behind it. But puzzles were great.

11. Four Swords Adventures: This game was freakin' fun when played with 4 people. I am hoping that there will be one for the Wii online, which would be one of the greatest online games, especially if Nintendo adds levels with WiiConnect. :P Anyways, this game was good but wasn't Zelda Zelda. Single player wasn't good, but it is the only Zelda for Mulitplayer fun, well besides FS, but I am including it here too.

12. Adventure of Link: I liked this game, however, it wasn't Zelda to me. It was a whole different style that I don't prefer Zelda be in. However, if it wasn't for this game, there wouldn't be a lot of the things in these new Zeldas. Great game for sidescroller fans.

*b*
12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Twilight Princess is no doubt one of the better games, but there is still much that they could have improved upon. The whole game just feels incomplete, you know? It's the little things, like Link's running animation, how you have to wait a bit after menus appear to be able to select stuff, and the numerous graphical glitches. I won't go into those for the sake of spoilers, but they're probably only things other graphics people would notice and not a big deal

However, I still think it's the best Zelda game yet. The scale of Hyrule, and the appearance of everything is fantastic. The lighting effects are great, and everything has an almost GC feel to it. The way Link's sword shines at night, how the light source changes with the sun. As far as looks go, TP beats all others in every way

At the very least, it shows great promise. If they had really taken their time, I bet there would be no question that it's the best

bluedeath
12-31-2006, 04:14 PM
I beat the game and noticed quite a few myself, mostly with the graphical glitches. I wont go into details. But yea I gotta admit it is the finest most fantastic zelda game ever created.

vegeta1215
12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
At the very least, it shows great promise. If they had really taken their time, I bet there would be no question that it's the best

It's a good game, but I think it's the worst of the 3D Zeldas. You might say, "you mean you think Wind Waker is better?". Yes I do. Wind Waker had charm and character - a trait that Twilight Princess is severely lacking in (save for Midna). Although it did have plenty opportunities to remedy this, especially with Ilia, where a romance could have come about. For example, when she gets her memory back, Link just smiles at her - that's it! I was almost yelling at my TV, "hug the girl you idiot!"

The game is gorgeous too, and huge, but it's so empty! What's the use of having such a big world when there's hardly any people in it? Plus, is very void of enemies, both in the overworld and dungeons. The enemies you do see are used over and over. Not to mention some classics are no where to be found (ex Moblins and Octoroks)

Hmmm...while I'm at it let me get some other gripes out of the way:
- Most items have very very limited use, despite some of them being cool (Spinner anyone?)
- The second half of the game is very heavy dungeon, not much anything else - ie very slow
- Overall the game is very linear
- The Temple of Time dungeon could've been so much cooler. It just felt clunky to me, moving that statue around
- Oocca (need I say more?)
- That freakin' statue puzzle before you get the Master Sword (I hate that damn thing)

I could go on. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and it has a lot of good things in it, but it could've been so much better. Having said that, I'd hate to see what it would've been like if they hadn't added another year to the development time. Even more of a delay would've given them enough time to really make it the best Zelda imo, possibly topping OoT.

TSA made an afterthoughts review of TP on his site, The Hylia. It addresses many points that I agree with. Check it out: http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1164855612

redmage777
12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Good Point: Boboblins but no Moblins? Moblins could have made a great backup for the Boboblins later on. (Perhaps they could actually AIM their bows like they WANT to hit Link?) Giant Moblins Spear men also sound awesome. Picture it: Link is fighting a pack of boboblins, when out of no where a moblin crashs in and send everyone, including Link flying.

I have a hard time envisioning Octorocks in Twilight Princess, Their addition as Zora alternatives (Pop out of water and shoot at Link) would have given some much need action to the Lake Hylia section of the game.

ONeilcool
12-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I need help on TP and instead of making a new thread I thought I'd just ask it in this one.

I'm just about to enter the 6th dungeon and I can't figure out exactly how to do it. I know I'm about to enter the 6th dungeon because I checked FAQS online one what to do and they all say the same thing, Strike the place where you picked up the Master Sword by pressing A

For some reason its not letting me do that. Is there something I haven't done? is it a glitch?

*b*
12-31-2006, 08:52 PM
You sort of have to stand on the pedestal and press A. That's another irritating thing about TP is you have to be right next to, if not directly on/in thing for you to interact with them

Orion
12-31-2006, 08:59 PM
After reading that article by TSA, I think he just wants to play the same story over and over again. The issues he brought up weren't the biggest ones, IMO, aside from the difficulty.

I got around to beating the game today, and looking back, it was pretty spectacular, but it seems that the guy who took over directing the series after OoT has a lack of creativity for dungeons. They were pretty in TP, sure, but up until about the 7th one, there were what, maybe two keys in each dungeon? And they were usually found within a room or two of where you needed them. There's a dungeon towards the end that had a few more, but they were all found in the room you needed them in, and the dungeon itself was so short, it was ridiculous. I had no problem beating just about any dungeon in the game (again, save for a couple towards the end) in less than a couple hours, boss and all.

Ah well. At least is was pretty...

Out of curiosity, does anyone wish that the magic armor worked a bit differently? And I'll agree with the "premium items" from past games--the ones you didn't have to get. I'd take those over finding poes and collecting bugs any day.

vegeta1215
12-31-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm fine with side stories. I loved Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening for example, and I liked the story for Twilight Princess. The problem is it just didn't have much at all to do with Link, Zelda, and Ganon. So, to me, a lot of the parts with them just felt forced.

I think they had some neat ideas in the dungeons, but they were pretty easy, and very linear. It probably doesn't help that this is the 4th 3D Zelda, so those of us that have played the others know what to expect (and are "good" at Zelda) I think my favorite is the Snow Peak dungeon. The Lake Bed Temple was pretty neat too.

Item wise, why be able to choose to use the Ordon Sword and Wooden Shield? There's no need after getting the Master Sword and Hylian shield. This is very unlike OoT where the different swords and shields (and armor) served a purpose. (In Majora's Mask and Wind Waker you upgrade and can't choose to go back to your older, weaker weapons) I thought the Zora armor and the Magic armor looked cool, but they have such limited uses: Zora armor for under water (otherwise you are handicapped by it's weaknesses if you wear it anywhere else), and the Magic armor for the Cave of Ordeals and fighting Iron Knuckles. Like I said, a lot of potential wasted.

CJC
01-01-2007, 03:54 AM
The magic armor needed to make up its mind and either drain rupees constantly or in bulk when hit. The fact that it did both just made it a hemmorage for your funds, rendering it virtually useless most of the time.

I would have actually preferred if the Magic Armor had drained the 'Oil' meter and shared it with the lantern. It would have made sense with it's restrictions (When you run out of oil, you can't move), and then it could be set to protect all the time.
Like, it would drain the oil at a relatively steady rate as you moved, and when you ran out Link would be forced to stop completely. He'd still be indestructable, but he would be unable to perform any actions.

That's simply my opinion, though.

I beat the game in a week, which I'd have to say is the longest I spent on any Zelda game. But, the dungeons were fairly easy, and I only struggled in two (The Lakebed Temple and the City in the Sky.)

The Oocca were stupid, that shouldn't have been in the game. Also, like I said last time I posted in here, a lot of the items got used in one dungeon and then lost in the shuffle of the inventory. With no reuse value, these cool new items were absolutely pointless.

I also agree that not bringing in classic enemies hurt the game as a whole. And breaking the Octorok's perfect attendance award for it, too, was kind of a bad move.

The plot was overall relatively predictable. I liked that they focused on Midna more than Zelda in this one. Ilia's memory should have been a sidequest, and could have been much more interesting.

So yeah, it may have been beautiful, but it wasn't a spectacular game. I realize I just rambled all over the place. But you get the picture. It's little flaws everywhere that lower the quality of a game like this.

vegeta1215
01-01-2007, 04:08 AM
The magic armor needed to make up its mind and either drain rupees constantly or in bulk when hit. The fact that it did both just made it a hemmorage for your funds, rendering it virtually useless most of the time.

I would have actually preferred if the Magic Armor had drained the 'Oil' meter and shared it with the lantern. It would have made sense with it's restrictions (When you run out of oil, you can't move), and then it could be set to protect all the time.
Like, it would drain the oil at a relatively steady rate as you moved, and when you ran out Link would be forced to stop completely. He'd still be indestructable, but he would be unable to perform any actions.

Although the Magic Armor using rupees was a odd choice imo, I think having it drain rupees and take chunks off when damaged was a good idea. Having just one or the other would have made things far too easy, especially when you consider that you can get the Magic Armor pretty early in the game, and rupees are given out like candy.

I do like that with the Magic Armor, I actually have a use for all those rupees, although a limited use. btw, not sure what you're trying to say with the lantern idea. An alternate idea would be to use a magic meter, but then it would be just like the Magic Armor from Wind Waker.

EDIT: That reminds me, using oil with the latern - very cool idea (and "realistic"), and again, something not used to it's potential.

Imprisoned
01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Threads talking about Zelda are popular :P

I have Twilight Princess for Wii, and I have the controllers too... but not the Wii unit itself >:( SOLD OUT

But, I've played it at my cousin's and I just loved it.
I would give it 5 stars out of 5 - even though OoT was better.

Pineconn
01-01-2007, 03:03 PM
People are saying that the lighting in the game is excellent... but for some reason I have to completely disagree. I have the GCN version, so maybe that might affect it.

For example, I can't look at the screen during night at the Gerudo Desert. It just looks ugly. I can't really explain it... I guess each polygon of ground uses a different color and you could easily see the polygons. Like I said, I can't really explain it other than "ugly."

Also, there are way too many flickering shadows. Not NPCs' shadows, I mean the landscape's shadows. When I'm running alongside a cliff, for instance, the shadow off of the cliff will sometimes flicker 'on' and 'off.' I do have an old TV, which may be the reason the lighting/shading of the game is pretty ugly to me. Does anyone have the same experience as me?

Orion
01-01-2007, 03:31 PM
It's not your TV, the flicker on mine too. I've only noticed it in the overworld though, mostly where you transition form one area to another. It's a little distracting, but usually I'm blazing by those places so fast on the horse, I don't notice it so much.

mikeron
01-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm playing the GCN version, and the only graphics glitch I've noticed is a pixellated sword during the cut scene after the fight for the gerudo plains warp point. It looked pretty cool.

Pineconn
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
(BTW, no problem, Vegeta. Your question helped me get 200 Rupees I probably would have never found. ;))

The flickering shadows glitch really isn't that big of a deal, except for the constant flickers that happen every time you go by them. For instance, I remember that (SPOILERS) the Hidden Village has a lot, as well as the path in Kakariko that goes up to the Elde Inn dead-end has 2 shadows that always flicker. (Did anyone notice? Elde Inn = Eldin? ;))

I guess I have a question. Has anyone ever been inside Fado's house?

vegeta1215
01-03-2007, 03:21 AM
I guess I have a question. Has anyone ever been inside Fado's house?

Nope. And as far as I know you can't get in there. But, if you scour other messages boards (like Gamefaqs for instance), you'll see posts by annoying kids who have conjured up crazy ways that supposedly let you in there. Sort of reminds me of the Triforce hunt in Ocarina of Time - which I'm sorry to say I fell for.

Pineconn
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah... me too. And what I really hate are the people who created false rumors like: Talk to this guy 55 times, then slash this tree 49 times, then enter and exit the Forest Temple 18 times, then go to the Goron near this place and he'll give you this item after talking to him 102 times... etc.

I actually fell for one of those with a Pok&#233;mon game. :(

But to actually get on-topic, Zelda games really need to have difficulty levels now. Nintendo needs to face it, there is a hardcore group (like us), a non-hardcore group (like GameFAQs n00bs), and in-between (like Nintendo NSider n00bs). I felt, and I'm sure many of you did, that Twilight Princess had the potential to be a difficult game. But a few disgusting factors exist. Spoilers below.

1. Auto-Shielding. Argh, I hate it so much. There were numerous times I should have gotten hit by an enemy, but I was targeting it and didn't get hit due to auto-shielding. So annoying.

2. Shield deflects all. Enough said.

3. I'm in the Temple of Time and... 1/4 of a heart damage? Most enemies in the Temple of Time and City in the Sky (and even the last two) do a quarter of a heart. Like Lizalfos and Helmasaurs. Come on, these enemies were first seen in the Lakebed Temple. We should be seeing regular whole hearts at a time. I mean, I thought that the difficulty picked up at the Snowpeak Ruins, and I was completely... heart-broken? ...that it actually got easier.

4. I'm so stupid! Again in this installment, enemy AI is too low. Really stupid enemies. Even bosses are... never mind, we all know they were easy.

Anything else you noticed?

vegeta1215
01-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the game was really easy. It probably doesn't help that there aren't many enemies to begin with, but the ones that are there don't damage you much. I think the only time I really felt like I was getting beaten was on a few of the floors in the Cave of Ordeals, namely the ones with the Freeze monsters and the ones with the Iron Knuckles. After getting through the Cave and fighting some in Hyrule Castle, Iron Knuckles are a piece of cake now, but those Freeze monsters still really piss me off.

In terms of the auto-shielding, doing that freed up an extra button (which I'm sure helped on the Wii version), and it made the Shield Push move easy and intuitive to pull off, but I do miss being able to control the shield myself. My reason is the opposite from yours though - I found myself getting hit more cause I didn't have full control of my shield. By accidentally performing the Shield Push move I opened myself up a lot.

I second the difficulty setting. Plus it wouldn't be hard to add. I think the only option for people like us to challenge ourselves in TP is to pull a low-heart run. I did this with OoT (only 3 hearts), and it was a pretty good challenge. I haven't tried it with Majora's Mask, but I'm sure it will be harder than OoT. I think the problem with attempting this with Twilight Princess is that you get heart pieces everywhere unexpectedly, esp in dungeons. You never got heart pieces in dungeons before, so unless you know what chests they are in exactly, I'm sure you could accidentally pick up 5 pieces and ruin your run.

On the subject of heart pieces, why the need for 5 to make a heart container? If they only had 4 to make a whole, they may have been able to do without having them be in dungeons. Just more excuses to not have "real" ways to get them, ie by interacting with NPCs, which the world is very void of.

redmage777
01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I hope the next Zelda game will Incorperate all the excelent points of Majoras Mask (Life-like NCP with ordered routines-- Perhaps weekly) Wind Waker (It may just be me but the Physics in that game were a lot better, and stealing enemy weapons was cool too.) and Twlight Princess (Mounted Combat, Visual Style, Large Overworld.) And why does Link seem to be the only Horse Owner in all of Hyrule... Appart from Ganon, I never once saw any horse besides Epona.

All the ingrdiants for the Ultimate Zelda game are already in play, Nintendo just needs to mix them together.

BTW: Wii owners- What does happen when you try to use the Wii-mote in your Left hand? It would seem to me that the Wii should be smart enough to detect weather the player is playing Rigth or Left handed and thus adjust accordingly... Why coulden't Link be Ambedextrios(SP?) instead of Right-Handed?

Orion
01-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't really know if it would make a big difference which hand you hold it in. It's not like the remote captures precice movements, in fact, in can just wiggle or shake the controller and it will make the sword swing. You would just have to get used to the fact that Link is swinging from the opposite hand you are. It was never a problem with the older games, so I don't see why it would be now.