PDA

View Full Version : Wii Forecast Channel

goKi
12-19-2006, 02:55 AM
The Wii forecast channel just came online in PAL territories (Europe, Australia, New Zealand). I've been playing around in it just now. it's pretty nice, definitely gets the job done.

Dechipher
12-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Haha, I'd like to see what they can do for Oklahoma...

AtmaWeapon
12-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey I just checked and it's online in the US too. I'd love to post an epic review listing all of the pros and cons, but hey it's a weather app and not too shabby.

I kind of wish it had more locations available or let you enter zip codes like PC weather apps; for my permanent residence I was able to pick a city just 30 miles away but once I return to the dorms it looks like the closest city is 150 miles away, which will kind of detract from the accuracy of the data.

Rijuhn
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I've been sitting here for 10 minute at least waiting for this thing to update. My internet connect is so messed up at time, and it'll drop signal sometimes. I really wonder if this thing is even updating, because I haven't seen the bar move at all for about 5 minutes. I know it says not to turn on the power, but I'm really considering it...Grr...

UPDATE: I had to unplug my Wii then plug it back in and it updated okay this time around. Hmm...this thing is kinda interesting. I like what I'm seeing, but I'd really like for there to be more detailed textures, or even terrain, but hey, I didn't pay for it so I can't complain. This is pretty cool though. :)

Orion
12-19-2006, 08:33 PM
It definetly could be meatier, but for a simple check the weather on my wii thing, it works pretty well. The sound effects are nice too.

Ands besides, if you're really that adamant about a detailed weather forecast, well, the Opera Channel beta goes online Friday.

Modus Ponens
12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Finally, Nintendo has given us a way to find out what it's like outside!

AtmaWeapon
12-19-2006, 11:06 PM
It definetly could be meatier, but for a simple check the weather on my wii thing, it works pretty well. The sound effects are nice too.

Ands besides, if you're really that adamant about a detailed weather forecast, well, the Opera Channel beta goes online Friday.Oooh ooh tell me how do you get on the Opera Channel beta?

Orion
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I believe it will be downloadable from the Wii shop channel? I could be wrong. But the beta is supposed to be up this Friday or Saturday, with the final version coming out in March (what the differences are, I don't know). And I think it's supposed to be free until June of 07, at which point it will cost you 500 Wii Points to get.

Warlock
12-20-2006, 11:03 AM
I've been sitting here for 10 minute at least waiting for this thing to update. My internet connect is so messed up at time, and it'll drop signal sometimes. I really wonder if this thing is even updating, because I haven't seen the bar move at all for about 5 minutes. I know it says not to turn on the power, but I'm really considering it...Grr...

UPDATE: I had to unplug my Wii then plug it back in and it updated okay this time around. Hmm...this thing is kinda interesting. I like what I'm seeing, but I'd really like for there to be more detailed textures, or even terrain, but hey, I didn't pay for it so I can't complain. This is pretty cool though. :)

Exact same thing happened to me. Got to maybe 75% and froze (and I left it for at least 30-45 mins). Had to unplug my Wii, then I reran it and it worked fine. Weird.

Cloral
12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Worked fine for me. But the closest location to mine I could find is Thousand Oaks - which is fairly close by, but it is on the other side of the mountains, so it tends to be 10-15 degrees warmer than here. So in the end, the web weather where I can get the forecast for Camarillo specifically is a lot more useful to me. Thus, the Wii weather channel is another thing that I will put in the drawer of relatively useless novelties.

Warlock
12-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah I've been hearing that a lot. I live in a fairly big city so it was fine for me. But I guess a lot of ppl can only pick places miles away from them :(

Maybe in the future Nintendo will offer more locations? The thing did just get released afterall. Who knows.