PDA

View Full Version : A couple of quest questions

GreatGatsby
12-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Hey,

I'll break the ice here by letting you know a little bit about what I'm up to. I'm starting a new project. It's Mana themed (SD2, to be more specific). I have a few questions though...

First off, I'm only using the original LoZ graphics. Not what I want. So, I have a few questions about my quest, quest editing, and general misc. questions.

- How do you use LttP graphics? Is that possible? If not, how do you use the BS graphics in a quest?
- What is a graphics pack?
- If I wanted to use Secret of Mana tiles, or import or create some, how would I go about it? Are there any out there currently?
- Such as in LttP, is there any way to create a town or village, with houses and people who are able to talk to you, and are animated?
- How about text boxes? I thought I'd seen some in a few quests... how do you envelope your text in a box (to make it a bit easier to read)?

If I think up any more questions, I'll come back later. Any response at all would be a HUGE help. I'm just curious and have a lot of things to learn before I tackle this fully. By the way, I'm not completely new to ZQuest, been using it for a few years now. However, I've only messed around with simple things and the original LoZ graphics/tiles. Can anyone help me? :)

Thanks,
Gatsby

Imprisoned
12-18-2006, 03:14 AM
-How do you use LTTP graphics?
------You need to import a LTTP graphics pack to your quest. Or just open
------an LTTP tileset quest file and export the graphics pack and import it into your quest.

-What is a Graphics Pack?
------When you export a graphics pack, it goes into .zgp format. This can be
------imported into a quest to change all combos, tiles, subscreens, Link,
------everything related to graphics.

- If I wanted to use Secret of Mana tiles, or import or create some, how would I go about it? Are there any out there currently?
------I don't think there are Secret of Mana tiles yet. There might be some,
------although they could only be additions or something, like houses or
------bushes.

- Such as in LttP, is there any way to create a town or village, with houses and people who are able to talk to you, and are animated?
------Yes. Just start placing the combos to make the houses, gardens etc.
------and make sure you have the door combos as tile warps to a separate
------dmap with a level number greater than 9. Then just set guy and string.
------You should use separate dmaps since you can make treasure chests
------and items somewhere where it's not at the center of the screen.

------------To make animated people, just go to tiles and search an empty
------------row of, like 2 tiles. Draw the tiles you wan't to be in the
------------animation. Then upload the first one to combos, and set
------------animation frames as 2 or how many tiles you made for the
------------animation. Then set animation speed, the smaller the faster,
------------the bigger the slower.

-How about text boxes? I thought I'd seen some in a few quests... how do you envelope your text in a box (to make it a bit easier to read)?
------These are easy. They are combos. Just put them to the layer screen to
------the place where the string appears (top). Search for the combos in PureZC.

Hope those help you.

GreatGatsby
12-18-2006, 04:58 AM
I think it's going to take some practice, but I'll mess with it and figure it out eventually. I only had one question about what you said, though. I'll just quote you.

"Just start placing the combos to make the houses, gardens etc."

and...

"Then upload the first one to combos, and set
animation frames as 2 or how many tiles you made for the
animation."

I'm not sure I know how to do that. How do you upload combos and things? I thought combos only dealt with like, say, moving an armos or burning a bush? Could you direct me possibly? I think I've seen something about animation in the tile editor before, though.

Also, layering... not familiar with it at all. As for the rest, I really appreciate your help. I didn't know it was that easy. That makes things a lot simpler than I had even planned for.

This might be dumb, but... two more questions... are there are an unlimited number of Dmaps? How does the coordinate system work for dungeon Dmaps?

Thanks again!

LinkMaster500
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you are limited to only 255 DMaps, and that the coordinate system works in a similar way for dungeons as it does for overworlds.

Freedom
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
there are links to several tutorials, and other info on my page, that answer all those questions and more.
http://members.toast.net/mfreedom/ZC/zcquests.htm

Imprisoned
12-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Man... check those tutorials... You must be a total newbie.

And I think you'll never think "I need more DMaps!" :D