PDA

View Full Version : ZScript & Dialog Editor = *Wow*

ShadowTiger
12-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm willing to bet that all of this is already planned, but I was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate ZScript into the Dialog Editor that's being planned out.

For example, you reach a point in the string, where it simply plays just like any other part of any string, and it tells a ZScript to do something, merely by having this particular word appear in a string visible to the player. Its mere presence triggers this script.

You can do something like chance combos on the fly, to make it appear as if NPC's are turning around, or healing you by increasing your health while their appearance changes to a healing gesture, .. or you can play certain sound files to simulate laughter or gossip, easily akin to, say, Wind Waker, where some guys say something like "..Yuh!" etc. (The Potionmaker from The Wind Waker, or the King from the same game.)

Would be pretty nice. You could also theoretically have it check for an item mid-string, and have it dictate the rest of the string based on the item's presence in your inventory or as a boolean/variable or something.

_L_
12-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, there's already a "play sound" dialogue control code. And an "if Link has item, switch to string X" dialogue control code. But calling scripts mid-string seems to be... not as possible.

I favour the inverse method: ZScripts which can display single, unlinked strings, with the combo alterations in between.
For example, something like:

ShowString(19);
Screen->ComboD[156]=15;
ShowString(20);
Where the hypothetical ShowString method halts script control flow until the displayed string is dispelled.