PDA

View Full Version : Diagonial Objects

Linkus
12-17-2006, 04:03 PM
In LttP, Link would sometimes walk into objects and slide off to the edge of the object to keep going in that direction. When this happened, the object was usually at a diagonal angle. The result was useful when you had the Pegasus Boots, because if it wasn't added, Link would keep running into stuff again and again, stopping at each one.

With Z3 movement, Link should be able to do the same through a modification of the Combo Editor in which all 4 different "unwalkable" diagonals are represented as red triangles(like its square counterpart). Link should should move along th diagonal while he hits it, or not when he hits the backside of the diagonal.

What do you think of the diagonal idea?

*b*
12-17-2006, 09:40 PM
It's an idea I've been wanting for a while, though I don't know how it would work. Maybe like an option to switch from blocks to angles in the combo editor. It's definitly something advanced quests need, that's for sure

ShadowTiger
12-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I think it'd also be nice to see because of things like stairs in sidescrolling mode. We have to jump up stairs right now. If we had something like this, we could literally just walk up these combos. :p

*b*
12-18-2006, 04:34 AM
ST, if sideview gravity works like I think it does, having angled combos would do that naturally

Imprisoned
12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey, it could be possible to make slides in sidescroller mode with this O_o

Majora
12-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Sloping floors would be nice, it would take away some of the blocky-ness and possibly solve the "can't leave some sidescrollers" difficulty, like in NeoFirst (I know it's an alpha but I'm just addressing 1 example)

redmage777
12-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I think it'd also be nice to see because of things like stairs in sidescrolling mode. We have to jump up stairs right now. If we had something like this, we could literally just walk up these combos. :p

Do you mean stairs like the ones in the Castlevainia games? Or more like slopes, as seen in Mario Bros 3? Ladder Combos that use Climbing Graphics(or at least lock link in his North-facing position and Disables Item/Sword use.) would also be helpful.

But Perhaps Sidescrolling areas are best left to be expanded upon in the next full version?

ShadowTiger
12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Do you mean stairs like the ones in the Castlevania games? Or more like slopes, as seen in Mario Bros 3? Actually uh, ... it's ... it's all good. :shrug: It's the desired effect anyway. With the (Early) Castlevania type stairs, you can't slide down. With the Mario 3 type slopes, you can slide down if you have enough velocity. Depending on what type of stairs you're employing, I'm sure that's the effect you were going for with each different combos.

Lotus_Eater
12-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Maybe something that could be done that would be a fairly effective way to do this would be thus, forgive the crappy ASCII-Art
Here is what a solid block looks like now.

########
########
########
########
########
########

Here is a Blank Block
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

Here is the new Solid Block
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~

Here is block that is partially Shaded, 3/4's
~~~~~#~~
~~~~###~
~~~#####
~~~~###~
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~

Ok, so my example is crap, basically make the squares into diamonds, then the character will naturally slide off of the blocks, and if they are all filled, he'll hit them like normal.

Later,
Lotus

CJC
12-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Here is an unwalkable Block
########
########
########
########
########
########

Here is a Blank Block
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

Here is the new Solid Block
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~

Here is block that is partially Shaded, 3/4's
~~~~~#~~
~~~~###~
~~~#####
~~~~###~
~~#~~#~~
~######~
########
~######~
~~#~~#~~

This solves the walking and climbing problem, but if people don't want to be able to slide...

I think the diamonds should be a backup option. Make the first click when designating walkability the square, the second the diamond, and the third the reset. So you could have combos like this:

~~~~####
~~~~####
~~~~####
~~~~####
~~#~####
~#######
########
~#######

which slide a bit and then stop Link.
This would also ensure backwards compatibility with quests that didn't have access to the new walkability.

The only problem is, a diamond shape is an odd number of pixels on an even-pixeled tile, which makes it a little difficult to set up. I would suggest replacing it with half-triangles, but the toggling of that would be even more tedious (As the triangles have the potential to be flipped any which way, and each rotation has two potential positions in a square, the walkability options go up from 2 to about 10, which would be ridiculous.)
But the Diamond is a good start. If only there was a way to better fit it in the tile...
Nevermind, I'm just rambling. This is good stuff, everybody, nice suggestions.

beefster09
01-01-2007, 04:35 PM
This solves the walking and climbing problem, but if people don't want to be able to slide...

I think the diamonds should be a backup option. Make the first click when designating walkability the square, the second the diamond, and the third the reset. So you could have combos like this:

~~~~####
~~~~####
~~~~####
~~~~####
~~#~####
~#######
########
~#######

which slide a bit and then stop Link.
This would also ensure backwards compatibility with quests that didn't have access to the new walkability.

The only problem is, a diamond shape is an odd number of pixels on an even-pixeled tile, which makes it a little difficult to set up. I would suggest replacing it with half-triangles, but the toggling of that would be even more tedious (As the triangles have the potential to be flipped any which way, and each rotation has two potential positions in a square, the walkability options go up from 2 to about 10, which would be ridiculous.)
But the Diamond is a good start. If only there was a way to better fit it in the tile...
Nevermind, I'm just rambling. This is good stuff, everybody, nice suggestions.
To make it easier, a plain click will cycle, but if you hold Ctrl it will only do blocks, Alt will do diamonds, and Shift will cycle through triangles. To make the triangles easier to cycle through, you either hold A, S, Z or X with shift to trigger the corner that is all solid, and then it has the mini triangle. Maybe you'd just use the num pad-- no shift.
And with the diamonds, if 2 of them are diagonal to each other, it will "fill in" the space that connects them. If one is horiz/vert adjacent to a block, diamond or complete side, it will fill in the gaps.

Recap: Use hotkeys to make cycling easier and Diamonds fill in gaps with adjacent walkability.