PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes/Villians

Monica
12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
We went Christmas shopping today and my brother and sister and I are all picking our own presents within a buget. Today I got both City of Heroes and City of Villians (I have a few more video games in mind as well) It is my first real proffesional MMORPG and I'm excited. I won't get to play until Christmas of course, but I'm just wondering if any one else has it and do you like it?

Also, what MMORPGs does everyone else play? :)

goKi
12-17-2006, 12:33 AM
CoH/V Is a great game, unfortunately due to repitition and lack of content, it does get old a little quick. Nonetheless, i'd be interested in playing it again some time soon, thinking about it.

Monica
12-17-2006, 12:40 AM
CoH/V Is a great game, unfortunately due to repitition and lack of content, it does get old a little quick. Nonetheless, i'd be interested in playing it again some time soon, thinking about it.

What do you mean by lack of content? The site makes it look full of content, but I guess that doesn't say much, huh? When's the last time you played?

AlexMax
12-17-2006, 12:42 AM
I played City of Villians a while back. The bad part about the game is that it does take a while to level after your initial spurt of leveling, the missions get a little repetative, and I never got around to trying to PvP. However, Co* makes the PvE grind as fun as possible by providing as few barriers to group PvE as possible, through making the missions randomly genrated, the sidekick system (temporarly leveling you up when you are within X distance of your "boss") and making pretty much every mission groupable. I've never been turned down for a group based on what class or build I was, and since loot is distributed randomly, there is no reason to fuck over or be a jerk to your fellow players. Yet, it's also possible to solo if you don't feel like grouping at that particular moment. It's the ultimate casual MMO.

And this says nothing about the awesome charactor creation system. You will learn the meaning of 'alt-fever' when you have this great idea for a charactor, make one, and get him five levels up and go back to your main.

I have gaming ADD, so I do a rotation between World of Warcraft and EVE Online (which I'm playing right now), and sprinkle other MMO's whenever I feel like something different. CoV was amongst them, and for what it's worth, it was a fun game.

What do you mean by lack of content? The site makes it look full of content, but I guess that doesn't say much, huh? When's the last time you played?

I think he means the mission structure. Most missions are randomly generated based on certain templates, and while the map layouts can change a lot, they look almost identical. For example, if you have two missions in two different warehouses, although the two warehouses are differently laid out, they look pretty much the same visually. Also, the missions I played were either a "kill everyone in the mission", "kill the ringleader" or "find a clue." Those can only be entertaining for so long.

goKi
12-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Alex raises a good point, too. Once you hit Level 20, it takes forever for you to level up. Move over Lex Luthor, Superman's new archenemy is Experience Debt.

Monica
12-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Oh yeah... I read about Experiance Debt, every time you die it racks up, huh? I guess they did that so everybody won't be lvl 100 or whatever, lol. Well, I want it to be really fun, but I hoped it WASN'T totally addicting. I had to assure my mom that I wouldn't get stuck in the game (Hehe, I wish like .hack :p) like they did in those news reports on Everquest and become totally insane and dependent and commit suicide if I couldn't play. Plus I don't want it replacing my life.

Which reminds me...you CAN save in it can't you? I told my mom that the people who got trapped in the game weree idiots because they could save. She thought they had to keep playing to keep their char's alive...>_<

Gerudo
12-17-2006, 01:18 AM
never really thought about playing Heroes/Villians, however i have been really playing World of Warcraft lately. i broke down and bought it after doing the 10 day trial thing (i really liked it, not to mention that i know about 6 people irl that play it).

Monica
12-17-2006, 01:23 AM
never really thought about playing Heroes/Villians, however i have been really playing World of Warcraft lately. i broke down and bought it after doing the 10 day trial thing (i really liked it, not to mention that i know about 6 people irl that play it).

That's cool, I thought about WoW since it's so popular but none of the races interested me. I like having femenine magical races like faeries or sprites or something to choose from. I really like super powers and as a bonus, they can earn big beautiful angel wings so that's awesome! :)

Modus Ponens
12-17-2006, 01:44 AM
City of Heroes is an extraordinarily fun computer game. It's my MMO of choice. I have to assume that people who play WoW instead of CoH only do so because they don't like the superhero genre, or that they specifically want the fantasy genre. But CoH is beautiful, and your options for character customization/personalization are extremely vast right from the get-go. Team play is really fun, too. I have such a great time teaming up with a group of total strangers and thrashing bad guys that I rarely ever go solo in CoH. Everyone is so friendly and supportive. It's a great way to soak up hours of your day.

I haven't played for a while, but I do keep coming back to it. I usually play on the server called Triumph. My main character is a broadsword-wielding heroine named Rosalind. Look out for me if you ever play on that server.

Daarkseid
12-17-2006, 01:44 AM
I played FFXI for about a year and a half.

I never want to touch an MMORPG again.

Dart Zaidyer
12-17-2006, 04:29 PM
City of Heroes/Villains is a fun game. (yes, they are actually one single game. A simple switch in your account is all that separates the two, as evidenced by the login sequence when you have "both".)

As an experienced CoH player, here are some tips for beginning players:

More than 75% of the game's performance ability is based almost entirely on RAM. Graphical power and processing power don't come into play very much until you start turning up the detail. You want at least a gigabyte of RAM for this game to function at an acceptable speed. If you have less than 512, be prepared for jerkiness during travel and long load times between zones.
Virtue is the official unofficial "roleplay" server. While they can be friendly and helpful, most players there try to do "serious" characters, with long and boring descriptions that look completely stupid on robots and busty catgirls wearing tights. If you want to stand out at all and not look like a complete tool, you'll need to embrace the tone of the game (and trust me, you'll find that it's barely serious, ever) and make a superhero with a definitive theme and traits. I'd always get the most compliments for thematic characters with short, concise and/or whimsical descriptions.
With a few exceptions, most servers are filled with a large glut of casual players. Beware of them. When given the biggest and most amazing set of tools they could ever want for creating the perfect superhero, they usually come up with something so uninspired that it's been done a million times before or is a generic ripoff of a popular comic book hero. (This despite the rules of the game.) Nine times out of ten, teaming up with "w0lv3r1ne 13" is a sure ticket to a huge waste of time. And lots of death.
Everyone's first few heroes are going to suck in terms of powers, abilities and enhancements. You'll want to find some experienced players to help you out, because they've been playing long enough to know what powers not to take, which powers are any good for your desired style of play, and how to properly set up your enhancements to get the most out of them.
Supergroups rock, especially the well-established groups with players who know what they're doing. You want to be in a Supergroup. There will always be someone to talk to, and through them you can usually find a team of players for your missions that you trust, instead of having to wing it with Random Man and Questionable Girl.
Eight-man mission teams are the fastest way to gain XP. Task Forces even more so, if you have about three or four consecutive hours to spare.
Never hesitate to use your Inspirations. They're cheap and easy to come by anyway.
Above all, never take the game too seriously, and please don't waste time you don't have. Your team will live without you, and you won't miss anything. One more mission is NEVER enough, so quit telling yourself it is. Get some sleep, go outside, and come back later. CoH is easier to start and stop than other MMORPGs, but it can still become a huge time sink if you aren't careful.

Monica
12-17-2006, 05:16 PM
City of Heroes/Villains is a fun game. (yes, they are actually one single game. A simple switch in your account is all that separates the two, as evidenced by the login sequence when you have "both".)

As an experienced CoH player, here are some tips for beginning players:

More than 75% of the game's performance ability is based almost entirely on RAM. Graphical power and processing power don't come into play very much until you start turning up the detail. You want at least a gigabyte of RAM for this game to function at an acceptable speed. If you have less than 512, be prepared for jerkiness during travel and long load times between zones.
Virtue is the official unofficial "roleplay" server. While they can be friendly and helpful, most players there try to do "serious" characters, with long and boring descriptions that look completely stupid on robots and busty catgirls wearing tights. If you want to stand out at all and not look like a complete tool, you'll need to embrace the tone of the game (and trust me, you'll find that it's barely serious, ever) and make a superhero with a definitive theme and traits. I'd always get the most compliments for thematic characters with short, concise and/or whimsical descriptions.
With a few exceptions, most servers are filled with a large glut of casual players. Beware of them. When given the biggest and most amazing set of tools they could ever want for creating the perfect superhero, they usually come up with something so uninspired that it's been done a million times before or is a generic ripoff of a popular comic book hero. (This despite the rules of the game.) Nine times out of ten, teaming up with "w0lv3r1ne 13" is a sure ticket to a huge waste of time. And lots of death.
Everyone's first few heroes are going to suck in terms of powers, abilities and enhancements. You'll want to find some experienced players to help you out, because they've been playing long enough to know what powers not to take, which powers are any good for your desired style of play, and how to properly set up your enhancements to get the most out of them.
Supergroups rock, especially the well-established groups with players who know what they're doing. You want to be in a Supergroup. There will always be someone to talk to, and through them you can usually find a team of players for your missions that you trust, instead of having to wing it with Random Man and Questionable Girl.
Eight-man mission teams are the fastest way to gain XP. Task Forces even more so, if you have about three or four consecutive hours to spare.
Never hesitate to use your Inspirations. They're cheap and easy to come by anyway.
Above all, never take the game too seriously, and please don't waste time you don't have. Your team will live without you, and you won't miss anything. One more mission is NEVER enough, so quit telling yourself it is. Get some sleep, go outside, and come back later. CoH is easier to start and stop than other MMORPGs, but it can still become a huge time sink if you aren't careful.

Haha, thanks :) Especially that last tip, lol!

AlexMax
12-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Bah. You're making me realize how much I'm spinning my wheels in EVE in The Greater Goon compared to actually enjoying my time playing. I think I'll let my EVE time run out and start up on CoV again.

By the way, here's the SA thread on CoX.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2156004

Very informative, and can give you a lot better idea of what to expect when playing.