PDA

View Full Version : RPG Banter:

ShadowTiger
12-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I love RPG Banter; when one NPC or ally speaks to another during the course of an adventure, or just some random conversation you overhear from your enemy. A sample from Neverwinter Nights:

(Where "PC" is you.)

Xanos: Hold! Xanos wishes to speak!
PC: If you see him tell him to go ahead and talk.
Xanos: This was not funny the last time you said it. Xanos is not impressed.
PC: You seem to talk on behalf of this Xanos quite a bit.
Xanos: I do not wish to be mocked!
PC: You? Or Xanos? I get confused.
Xanos: Oh ho ho. I see. Now it is all a big joke, eh? Xanos must suffer the end of your juvinile wit.
PC: Yes, poor Xanos.
Xanos: Xanos will feel sorry for <charname> shortly.
PC: I'll have to remember to thank him for the sympathy then.

Then there's Deekin. Deekin is, in my opinion, one of the cutest sidekicks a game has ever had.

"Deekin tired. Feet is sore. Back is hurting. Little Deekin feel like bag of clamshells bashed on ground repeatedly. Overall is good."

"Yeah, now you is nothing but a floating skull. Deekin wonders; you float all the time? Or maybe sometime you just roll around on floor like a ball?"

"You need not be coy, my little lizard friend. Between one Bard to another, I know what such glances mean."
"Deekin was looking at your hair."
"Really I'm flattered, but you must know it just isn't. . .what?"
"Deekn was looking at your hair. Is very pretty, but there be different color near your head. That be normal? Deekin not sees that before."
"Of. . . course its normal! Look. . .I'll give you 20 gold not to mention that to anyone."
"Thirty"
"Fine, thirty. Now stop talking."

Darth Marsden
12-17-2006, 05:20 AM
I think my favourite NPC moment is in Anachronox, the greatest game you've never played. In it, there's a couple of NPCs standing round a crazy man, who says things like 'We are all but pawns in a grand game!' and 'We live only to talk to others!'. But the best bit is when you talk to one of the people listning to him. The one and only line he will say is 'That's ridiculous. I've got plenty to say.'

God, I love that game.