PDA

View Full Version : Job Ideas

MrCow
12-16-2006, 02:55 AM
Anyone got any job ideas other then retail for someone with just a high school diploma?
Mostly looking for experience and some money flow. Post em up.

biggiy05
12-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Warehouse jobs would be my first guess. Any shipping warehouses like UPS, FedEx, or DHL near you? Some are seasonal and they hire you if they like you and others go right to full time.

MrCow
12-16-2006, 03:33 PM
any other suggestions?

Cloral
12-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Are you just looking for a job to make some money for a while before going to college, or are you looking for something that you might develop into a long-term career?

Matteo
12-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Work in a Restaurant. Its great money.

MrCow
12-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Well I'm looking for experience towards something i might do long-term but I Think ultimately I'm looking for money to get me to go to college.

AtmaWeapon
12-16-2006, 05:11 PM
If you are looking for something to generate income while deciding if you'd like to attend college or not, I'm afraid your best bet is probably retail. My off-school job has always been a position of salesman at a local hardware store. It doesn't pay the best and I have to deal with some pretty aggravating people but I know the owners and all of the people who have worked there forever so I end up with a very flexible schedule and I get to work with people that I like. You should find something like that because even the worst job is fun if you like your coworkers.

If your goal is something more like permanent employment I can't really give any advice.

MrCow
12-16-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm looking for something somewhat permanent, probably at least 6-10 months. I've been trying to stay away from retail but if I have to it'll come down to it being just that. In the past I've done a month of IT work, a month or two of data entry work and about two years of weekend paintball refereeing.

Matteo
12-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Try to get a serving job at a restaurant, seriously. Its a great way to meet people. Yeah its stressful, but the hours fit with college/schooling and its quick money. And you can do it anywhere.

AlexMax
12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Depending on where you work retail, you will either somehat enjoy your job or curse your very existance on this earth. Check around office supply stores like OfficeMax and Staples, I imagine their customers are a bit more polite than...say...a Gamestop or Wal-Mart. Though I've heard good things about working at Best Buy too.

MrCow
12-17-2006, 10:58 PM
really? I was contemplating a best buy or a compusa

erm2003
12-17-2006, 11:14 PM
I worked for OfficeMax when I was finishing up high school through my first couple years of college. It was probably one of the best retail jobs I had. If you know your stuff, especially about electronics, you will be valuable to them because they are always looking for people who can help customers in that area. That's primarily what I worked in when I was there. That doesn't mean that you have to know a lot to get a job there, but it does help if you add in what you know.

ShadowTiger
12-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I can second this. I have a cousin who applied for a job at Best Buy. He claimed to know a lot more than he really did, but he got the job anyway through sheer charisma, apparently. Now he's learning about all these different items as he goes. He's nothing less than ecstatic. :) Definitely something to give heavy consideration to. ^_^

AlexMax
12-17-2006, 11:26 PM
really? I was contemplating a best buy or a compusa

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20061205/011941.shtml

EDIT: Eh, my mistake, that's corporate instead of retail

MrCow
12-18-2006, 12:11 AM
yea I'm looking more at best buy in general... biggest thing I want to avoid in retail is sitting at a register all day.