PDA

View Full Version : Better Dialogues?

Moresco
12-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Is there a way you could use scripting to change the way dialogue works? I mean to a more modern function, like:

1. walk next to a character
2. push the button to initiate dialogue
3. open a menu on the screen and have the dialogue appear within it

all without the crazy need to warp from screen to screen?

just curious, if so...someone should make this because it would be an awesome upgrade to games with a lot of dialogue.

so I did a little research. I know inputA can detect the A button press, so obviously that works. If you had a screen to act as your top layer, you could draw a menu on it? Can you access the dialogue tiles? If not you could make your own tiles with letters on them maybe. Tell if you're next to a character who can talk by checking link's location with the adjacent combos...? I'm just throwing random stuff out here...

beefster09
12-17-2006, 02:20 AM
The devs have that covered. Just wait for the next beta.

Moresco
12-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Anyway I made a crude version of this that works based off of a few simple things. It's really agonizing though, and since a dialogue editor with all these features is coming, I'll just kind of hold off on this for now and concentrate on other scripts. It does work though, it's pretty much almost exactly like how dialogue is called in classic RPGs.

The only thing I haven't figured out, is whether or not you can mess with different layers within Zscript. Can't turn on and off layers, so you can't draw text on the right layers. Oh well ^^