PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Backwards Compatibility = Teh Suck

Warlock
12-14-2006, 01:13 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/ps2-graphics-on-ps3-look-like-crap/
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=808212&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Watch that video in the first link esp.. wtf Sony?

MANDRAG GANON
12-14-2006, 02:37 AM
The colours look better to me on the PS3 side. For the most part anyways, When it shows the close-up of Yunas face she is like yellow or something on the PS2 lol. To me that does not look like a huge deal tho, the jagged-ness isnt that terrible. I'd live with it for a week, As long as they fix it that is. If I paid that much for one of those and it looked like that I'd be idiotically furious :heart:.

Does the PS3 still have the problem with select PS2 games not even working still or did they fix that?

Very bad move if they choose to not fix this. Which would be a totally new direction for Sony. :rolleyes:

Imprisoned
12-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Those graphics sure look terrible... now we can be expecting for comments like "Playstation 1 has better graphics than Playstation 3! LoL!".

I hope GameCube graphics aren't terrible on Wii... because I only have one SCART :D

Nicholas Steel
12-14-2006, 09:36 AM
i like these comments as they seem right xD...

The PS2 graphics are done by the unified EE/GS chip on the PS3 motherboard, with its own dedicated memory. There is no emulation going on here. It is all in hardware.

The problem is that there is no scaler built into the "new" EE/GS chip (likely because it is directly ripped from PS2 Slim units). The CELL is also not being used for scaling, as it would probably use too much electricity, or cannot access the PS2's frame buffer.

The real question is if the PS2 hardware can somehow forward its frame buffer to the PS3 memory so it can be scaled. If so, this is just a firmware fix away. If not (as I suspect), then people will have to live with it. Since Sony hasn't already taken care of this at launch, I have a bad feeling about their ability to correct this issue without a motherboard revision.

I hope, if nothing else, games still look fine when played in 480 resolution. However, as a major emulator buff, I'm upset that there is no filtering on the PS3. Almost all my emulators have multiple filtering systems. It's not that hard.

Warlock
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
The colours look better to me on the PS3 side. For the most part anyways, When it shows the close-up of Yunas face she is like yellow or something on the PS2 lol. To me that does not look like a huge deal tho, the jagged-ness isnt that terrible. I'd live with it for a week, As long as they fix it that is. If I paid that much for one of those and it looked like that I'd be idiotically furious :heart:.

Does the PS3 still have the problem with select PS2 games not even working still or did they fix that?

Very bad move if they choose to not fix this. Which would be a totally new direction for Sony. :rolleyes:

Yuna's face looks yellow because it's sunset and that's how it's lit. I believe the PS2 is more accurately lit.

vegeta1215
12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
That does look pretty bad. But, if that's the only problem people are having (ie all games play correctly otherwise), that's not so bad. I'm sure it's something Sony will look into.

Breaker
12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XX_1tpcqE&mode=related&search=

I like Johnnie's reply.

Warlock
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
That does look pretty bad. But, if that's the only probllem people are having (ie all games play correctly otherwise), that's not so bad. I'm sure it's something Sony will look into.

It's not the only problem.. it doesn't play at least 200 games correctly, many of them big titles (IIRC Devil May Cry is one). I don't think it plays hard drive games (i.e. FFXI) at all.

punkonjunk1024
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
so the system comes out with hardly any launch games, and then we figure out that the fucker can't even play PS2 games. Wow, good moves, baby.

ZTC
12-14-2006, 01:51 PM
lol

looks like the lighting fx for PS2 games really suffered on the PS3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XX_...elated&search=

I like Johnnie's reply.
LMFAO

MottZilla
12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
But on the upside, Sony claims production issues are overcome and they can begin steadily shoveling out their crap box. ;p

mrz84
12-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I would rather stick to my PS2 for the next decade or two before I blow $500-600 on Sony's craptacularness. Yes. I said craptacular. :kawaii:

Dragon Omega
12-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Myah, I didn't really care for it in the first place. :mischief:

ctrl-alt-delete
12-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Haha! The graphics on PS1 and PS2 are better than PS3!!!11

OMG.

(I did that just for you, Imprisoned.)

MottZilla
12-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Sony recently did fix the issue where any games that could use the HDD wouldn't work or something like that. Still, HD scaling lag, picture artifacts, etc, why bother having backwards compatibility at all? Unlike GameCube and Xbox, I think we'll be seeing PS2 around for awhile still.

Dark Entity
12-18-2006, 01:58 AM
I think we'll be seeing PS2 around for awhile still.

I certainly hope so. Seriously, when they're still churning out games as good as Final Fantasy XII and Guitar Hero 2, with Rogue Galaxy on the horizon, who cares how "HD" the graphics are? The PS2 could live for quite some time yet.

Here's what I think: Fuck the "generations" of video games. Everything is upside down in the gaming world. The PS2 is still a hit machine, the PS3 needs a year or two (and maybe a price drop), the Wii is climbing to the top, and Dragon Quest IX is going to the DS. I love it.

MottZilla
12-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Dark Entity, the Xbox 360 with games like Gears of War have glorious HD graphics that take advantage of HDTV technology. It is very nice provided a solid game is underneath it. But you're right, a solid game is all that really counts. Awhile back there was an article saying how PS3's biggest competitor will be PS2.

mrz84
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Awhile back there was an article saying how PS3's biggest competitor will be PS2.

I believe it. :kawaii:

Dark Entity
12-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Dark Entity, the Xbox 360 with games like Gears of War have glorious HD graphics that take advantage of HDTV technology. It is very nice provided a solid game is underneath it. But you're right, a solid game is all that really counts. Awhile back there was an article saying how PS3's biggest competitor will be PS2.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to trash HD, as I have played and been wowed by Gears of War. Unfortunately, the 360 (and a nice HDTV) are a bit out of my price range. Gears of War was exciting, but show me a snazzy RPG (Blue Dragon?) or maybe even Halo 3, and then I'll consider buying.

Back when I first bought a PS2, I was enticed into buying it because of the backwards compatibillity. My mentality was that "well, there's not that much out for the PS2 yet, but I can play a huge library of PS1 games until I buy PS2 games." I had not owned a PS1, so the PS2 was a perfect choice for me. It was not until half a year after owning the PS2 that I bought my first PS2 game, Tony Hawk 3.

If backwards compatability is nerfed on the PS3, it's going to seriously bite them in the ass. PS2 games are the biggest thing the PS3 has going for it at the moment, while gamers wait for the titles they want.

Warlock
12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Actually, the same is sort of true for me. I got a PS2 for Christmas the year it came out - my parents actually managed to get one during the second shipment in December. I never owned a PSX, so one of the first games I got for PS2 was Final Fantasy 9. The first actual PS2 game I got was Dark Cloud, as there wasn't much else out around that time. I think starting with Final Fantasy X was when I really started actually buying PS2 games in decent numbers. Before that game there just wasn't a whole lot.

punkonjunk1024
12-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Fuck gears of war. Jesus. I know this guy who seriously can't stop rambling about how good it looks. Super mario world 2 looked damn good, too. The solid gameplay is the important part. Not how realistic the fucking sky looks. Sweet, realistic graphics hey remember real life? Those are pretty HD too.
/rant

MottZilla
12-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Fuck gears of war. Jesus. I know this guy who seriously can't stop rambling about how good it looks. Super mario world 2 looked damn good, too. The solid gameplay is the important part. Not how realistic the fucking sky looks. Sweet, realistic graphics hey remember real life? Those are pretty HD too.
/rant

Gears of War has very fun and solid gameplay. And it has awesome graphics. I think it's actually overtaken Halo 2 as the most played title on XBLive. Just for you rant we should change all the forum themes to Gears of War themes! ;)

AtmaWeapon
12-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Honestly I hear a lot more about Gears of War being a fun game than I do it being a beautiful game. Usually after telling me how fun it is and how many hours they spend playing it, people then discuss that with HD it looks fantastic as well, so I think it's a good example of a solid game where the HD is a secondary bonus.

Keep ranting about it guys, you're going to force me to spend hard-earned scholarship money on an XBox 360 :(.