PDA

View Full Version : Has This Happened To YOU?

Modus Ponens
12-12-2006, 02:21 AM
So I'm playing The Legend of Zelda on my Wii's Virtual Console, and I'm on my way to the second quest's Level 6, when I decided to hunt some ghinis for fun and profit. I first struck the lead ghini twice with my magical sword and then freed ten follower ghinis. I proceeded to deal the final blow to the lead ghini when, lo!

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~zwickd/fairies.gif

Every enemy released a fairy! Now, this has happened to me before--twice, maybe thrice--on my NES, but it still was startling enough that I decided to take a photo of the screen and show my fellow AGNers. I'm sure that there's some very simple explanation, and at least one reply will offer it with a very unimpressed attitude, but I'm happy anyway to see this kind of rare behavior when it happens.

So, as the thread title asks, has it?

MottZilla
12-12-2006, 03:21 AM
I've never seen that happen myself. It could be intentional or possibly an unintentional glitch. As for how you've seen this so many times, perhaps you're just lucky. ;p

*b*
12-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Seeing this, and knowing the other Ghinis die when the first one dies, it's easy to guess that the developers made the followers mimic the original Ghini's behaviour, probably including drops too

But to answer your question, no. I haven't played the original Zelda enough for this to happen

Modus Ponens
12-12-2006, 04:54 AM
When this first happened to me, I called Nintendo Power's help line and asked the game counselor if he knew anything about it, but he didn't. I figured maybe there was some secret thing you could do, or some special conditions that trigger it. I think it's a really cool secret if it is one, since it's so well concealed and in such a well-known game.

"IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY."

Nicholas Steel
12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Seeing this, and knowing the other Ghinis die when the first one dies, it's easy to guess that the developers made the followers mimic the original Ghini's behaviour, probably including drops too

But to answer your question, no. I haven't played the original Zelda enough for this to happen
no they dont mimick drops at all... the product known as zelda classic is accurate aswell and is a fine example of what happens normally in this situation.

Tygore
12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
no they dont mimick drops at all... the product known as zelda classic is accurate aswell and is a fine example of what happens normally in this situation.

It's entirely possible that this has been overlooked. ZC was programmed from scratch, it is not a perfect copy of the Zelda 1 code.

Fabiano the Spy
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
It's entirely possible that this has been overlooked. ZC was programmed from scratch, it is not a perfect copy of the Zelda 1 code.
So with that said, perhaps it will end up making its way into the 1st quest at some point...assuming of course this is actually a secret, not a glitch.

Tygore
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
The question is, can this be replicated on the NES cartridge? While most likely so, there is always the minute chance that this is an issue that sprung from Wii emulation.

If nothing else, there's always Quest Rules.

vegeta1215
12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I have never seen that happen.

I hope Nintendo didn't go and make fairies easy to get in the VC Legend of Zelda like they did for the GBA port of A Link to the Past.

Tygore
12-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I was under the impression that, at the moment, all VC entries were unaltered (minus, of course, any adaptation for controls).

I think it's a glitch with the fairy drop, myself. I don't know how the Zelda 1 code works, so this is 100% Tygorian speculation, but I think that there's something unusual about that specific drop that causes it to load for all the Grave Ghinis when it drops for the original.

Incidentally, I never heard about the GBA ALttP having a higher fairy rate. I didn't notice it, although it's been a while since I've played the remake (just played the SNES a week ago, go figure).

Warlock
12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I was under the impression that, at the moment, all VC entries were unaltered (minus, of course, any adaptation for controls).

Not even that. Controls are handled with the emulator, not the rom. All the rom cares about is "did I get B button input?" etc. The emulator is what determines that "Wii (-) button = B button input". So the rom should be 100% unchanged.

However, I believe Nintendo made some tiny changes when they went in to update this game for I believe the GC Collector's Edition (the copywrite dates match), most notibly fixing some spelling errors (I think) and adding a 2003 copywrite to the game. I believe this is *that* version of the game, so it's possible they unintentionally introduced this bug when updating it.

Tygore
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
I know that for the collecter's edition they added the copyright and re-translated the intro. I just fired up the Classic NES Series version and it's changed too: copyright extended to 2004 and the fixed intro text. I don't have the VC version, so I don't know if that has it as well.

Modus Ponens
12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
As for any suspicion that this phenomenon is VC-specific, I can allay that--as I said, the other times that it has happened to me, it happened on my NES with the original cartridge.

erm2003
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Of course I can't prove it, but I think I remember seeing something like this happen to me at some point when playing the original game. You are not alone Riverman.

Kairyu
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I THINK I've seen it before. I'm pretty sure it's just a RNG problem.

AtmaWeapon
12-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Well if the item drop code is done in the least complex manner there's no reason why this couldn't happen. If I knew the true drop percentage of a fairy then we could figure up the probability of it happening but I don't know this.

Of course, there's a possibility that the original code had traps to make sure that more than one fairy never dropped but I see no reason why they would include extra code to stop a situation that really wouldn't have a negative effect on the gamer.

vegeta1215
12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Incidentally, I never heard about the GBA ALttP having a higher fairy rate. I didn't notice it, although it's been a while since I've played the remake (just played the SNES a week ago, go figure).

Yeah. Fairies pop up so much in LTTP on the GBA. It makes the game so easy. I think fairies pop up a lot in the Legend of Zelda on the Collector's Edition disc too.

Sam Atoms
12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I remember this has happened to me----once----when I was playing LOZ on NESten or Nestopia. As far as I can tell, the occurrence is totally random. My guess is, every time you kill a ghost the computer rolls something like 3d10 and if it comes up 29 or higher, booya.

Dragon Omega
12-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Nope. Not at all. Not even once. Of course, I have not played the game for a while now. All I can say is that you got the luck of the draw. :mischief: