PDA

View Full Version : Wolfstyle DX!!!!! (release!)

DarkFlameWolf
12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
This quest was made, completed and finished within 3 months about 8 months ago. (about March or April of this year) But it was delayed in release because Petoe and I wanted it to be a simultaneous release with Lost Isle. But since Lost Isle is being delayed for a while due to quality assurance and other issues, we decided to release this early. So technically, this was the first quest finished with the DOR tileset, but probably not the first DOR tileset quest to be released because of this. However, as a promotion for our upcoming Lost Isle in 2007, there is a hidden info guy in the quest that gives you tips not on Wolfstyle, but on Lost Isle! Just to inspire you!
As for the quest itself: It is a small quest with a 64 screen overworld only 7 main dungeons and a newly added Master Dome that wasn't present in the original. It is a completely remake of my very first quest the way it should have been. The overworld is expanded to fully realize the original vision and although the dungeons retain the same layout as the original, playing them is a whole different ballgame.
There is no special tricks or nothing fancy to interest those who are looking for something new in the ZC scene. It is simply a fun, short romp through quality Zelda that has the ability to be time-runned for those daring to make a time attack of it.
Furthermore, I have fully implemented a difficulty setting in the quest itself! A normal mode for casual players and a hard mode for hardcore players. Don't complain about the absurdity of the challenge in hard mode, it was made for you to NOT win easily and it was made to be a bit cheap. But testers like Love for Fire and Ouch! have proven that hard mode can be beaten. If you can't take it, play normal mode like all the rest.
Changes in hard mode: red potions are for sale instead of blue, the magic sword is for sale now and the master sword is now the prize of the Master Dome. The gold ring is now hidden somewhere.
Enjoy!

NOTE: USE BETA 183 TO PLAY THIS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!

Last but not least, screenies!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX02.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX03.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX01.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX04.gif
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX05.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX06.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX07.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/DarkFlameWolfie/WolfDX08.gif

Download Link:
http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=180

Dlbrooks33
12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Very nice quest dude ;). DX's are always better than the 1st's too :).

Petoe
12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Wolfie's awesome at questmaking, isn't she?

A basic Zelda quest... and the best of its kind. :)

Very solid work even though I have some gripes with the odd colors of some of the sprites.

Anyhoo, you guys ought to try it out! This quest has some hidden tips about the upcoming Lost Isle, so if you don't have a good memory, write it down... or don't. :p

Imprisoned
12-10-2006, 12:03 PM
WOW! Awesome looking! I'm definately (is it spelled like that?) going to play this quest!

Maybe I'm going to make a DoR quest too, although the set is... like HUGE

WindStrike
12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
The top-right screen looks familiar... as if it appeared in your April Fool's joke quest called Beasts of Burden, correct? Heh... I don't think I really tried the original. I'll try this, but I can't use 1.92 183 for the reason that it refuses to load on my computer. So... I guess I'll be trying this in 2.10 and see how it plays out.

Looks awesome! And that level 3 shot doesn't fool me, hehehe...

Master Dome, eh? I hardly touched IotW's Master Dome, and as for Hidden Duality - I didn't finish the game purely because my brother finished it first, which is why I started going back through it again, though I seemed to have stopped midway through level 3 and haven't gotten back to it.

Alright, I'm gonna see how far I get in about 1 hour - if I have time tomorrow, I'll keep playing, but the second I'm handed a certain little late birthday present... I'll be off for a while.

EDIT:

Maybe I'm going to make a DoR quest too, although the set is... like HUGE.
Keep working on whatever quest you're working on right now, and don't start a DoR one until you've successfully finished it. I was pretty stupid myself to try using the tileset as a first quest, and it's taking me a long time. But that's probably because my quest making skills aren't the best - it's very slow for me. It's just recommended that you've made at least one fairly notable quest before trying to deal with such a tileset. I don't regret what I've done so far, but unless you're pretty fast at setting a screen up, don't bother. The tileset may be huge, but it still has its limitations, just like all others.

Love For Fire
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
IMO you're better off using 2.11 beta 13 instead of 2.10. No shop or midi-bug. The trade-off: no overworld map (just like b183!)

Aegix Drakan
12-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow. A Short, but sweet quest by DFW.

:P I'm in!

Looks awesome! And that level 3 shot doesn't fool me, hehehe...

? What is there to fool? All you gotta do is...
*slaps head* I forgot that this is ZC, not children of mana...darn, this is happening too much!

SecondEternity
01-02-2007, 03:12 AM
I think there's a problem with Level 5. It seems the hammer must be in Level 5, but in order to get to Level 5, you need to use the hammer. Great quest otherwise, tho.

SecondEternity
01-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, forget what I said about Level 5. That's a clever workaround indeed. Thanks a lot for putting this together, DarkFlameWolf. :)

DarkFlameWolf
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
yes, level 4 takes you to level 5, level 5 takes you to level 4. I think you'll understand what I mean by that now. ;)

pvd
01-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I have started playing this quests. Is there some sort of trick in the first level to finding all the keys. Weird but I may have lost a key or two when I restarted my game.

mooshki
02-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Edit: I figured it out - I didn't have the wrong quest, I had the wrong item names. It was the room with the raft that I unlocked first (it looks like a leaf, not a feather as I said before - that's the raft, right?), and it wasn't the "master key" I got without the Ocarina, it was the key to the boss room. Anyway, the first time I tried level 1, I found 3 keys but was only able to unlock 2 doors. I don't know where I "lost" the third key, but when I restarted the quest, I opened the two locked doors in the NW first, and still had a key left over to open the room with the raft, so I figured the problem had something to do with the order the locks were opened in.

DarkFlameWolf
02-03-2007, 12:30 AM
O.o, this so doesn't pertain to Wolfstyle DX, first off the feather doesn't exist in either quest and second, the DX version doesn't have a master key! blarg

Sam Atoms
03-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah. Those blocks in level 1 that the boss key is behind, you're not supposed to be able to use a key to activate (lower) them, are you? I was a key short my first play through the level, and only after a couple of restarts did I figure out how to lower those blocks the proper way. At any rate, I'd look at those blocks and make sure they can't be triggered by a key (now if they're supposed to be, that's just evil).

DarkFlameWolf
03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
My testers are USELESS! They should have caught something like this! >_<
Give it about 5 days (usually how long before PureZC people can get up off their butts and update! XD) and see if they put up the new version at PureZC. Should have an update tag of 21 March 07.

Sam Atoms
03-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks. Speaking of PureZC, someone did mention it in the Wolfstyle DX thread, apparently on the 20th of December. The problem was he also said he was using version 2.10 so it got mixed up with that. The next update will be nice, but there's no hurry for obvious reasons.

What was I doing there? Well, I was stuck for two or three hours in level 2 in vexing fashion. I didn't know how to fill in the bridge and I thought you had to deal with the blocks atop the ladder on the other side of the level. I was running around trying to find a candle in the overworld. I suck. :tongue: Well, at least for my trouble I found level 3 (and 6).

DarkFlameWolf
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Sam, the new version is uploaded at PureZC, go download and continue to enjoy.

Sam Atoms
04-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks. I've now finished levels 1-5 and I've found levels 6 and 7 and the Master Dome which I was surprised to see turn up in the ________. I found level 5 only because of a lucky accident. I thought it was where level 7 actually is, but I never actually opened up the entrance. I was using the _______ to try and get back near a Piece of Heart in the mountains that I got knocked off trying to pick up----and then I got zipped to a place I'd never been before. Looks like I'll see this one to the finish.

On a side note.... Enemies Always Return----most diabolical quest rule ever.

EDIT: Are you sure that is a possible block puzzle in the key room northwest side of level 6? It seems I can never cover both of the buttons with blocks, if the arrows are to be believed.

cpoet
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi First off its a great quest, just hoping I can finish.

I have found levels 1, 2, and 3. Then discovered 6, which is murder. I am
in the posession of: Leaf, a bag, a shield which vanishes from time to time
a bow a boomerang, bombs, a wand, and a red torch, along with the flute.
I'm wondering what is in level three. It is level one in the original, but with
excellant new twists.

Cpoet, yes still kicking at 73 after 2 major operations, now on with the
program, ta dah

DarkFlameWolf
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
That block puzzle IS SOLVEABLE. I made sure of that. And tons of people who've already beaten this game can attest to its doability. Just have a magic shield at hand and just sit there letting the fireballs from statues hit your shield as you view the puzzle before you push blocks, trying to figure out the solution. I stumbled across it myself while I was making it. I wasn't quite sure of the solution until two moves before I slid the final block in place. It is a VERY tough puzzle, I'll give you that.

Petoe
04-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Bad bad Wolfie for making insane block puzzles!! :P :P

Sam Atoms
04-20-2007, 01:01 AM
That block puzzle IS SOLVEABLE. I made sure of that. And tons of people who've already beaten this game can attest to its doability. Just have a magic shield at hand and just sit there letting the fireballs from statues hit your shield as you view the puzzle before you push blocks, trying to figure out the solution. I stumbled across it myself while I was making it. I wasn't quite sure of the solution until two moves before I slid the final block in place. It is a VERY tough puzzle, I'll give you that.

Oh. Hmmmmmz.......... er......... wha? Um..... A-HA............ hmmmm......... DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH.

How did I not see that the first time.

DarkFlameWolf
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
So did you ever beat this Sam?

Sam Atoms
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm in the Master Dome, and I don't know how to get past the first six rooms. I don't know how to get on to the upper walkways, and there are other things in my way.

Maybe I'll leave it and try to do Ganon's Lair with what I have now.

DarkFlameWolf
04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
you head left from the second room and there should be some blocks you can POUND down, in the next room is a key in a chest. Utilize that when going to the upper right of the lower floor, up to the upper catwalks and back around to the upper left.

Sam Atoms
04-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Ah yes, the old hidden doorway. Not easy to notice, when everything but the kitchen sink is rushing at you. :kawaii:

Well, it's finished. Considering that some questmakers have been known to top 100 rooms in their final levels, the last level came as a small surprise. Of the quests in which I've gotten to the final level, I've seen two approaches----the huge, ultimate crawling maze, and the long chain of monsters and bosses leading up to Ganon's chamber. Both work well. On that note, you certainly have a talent for getting the most out of your dungeons. I don't think any dungeon in this quest was over 30 rooms, but they're all so complex that they usually played like 30 or more.

On a side note, I managed to collect (just) enough heart pieces to get up to 15 hearts, allowing me to march through level 7 without real worry. But I still don't know how I would deal with a 500-pound gravestone in my path, or make my way through a cluster of blue mushrooms.... :cool:

EDIT: I figured out how to get the blue mushrooms down. How clever..... and I think I know how I would have dealt with the gravestone but I didn't want to risk a _____ ____.