PDA

View Full Version : Floormaker?

Linkus
12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Remember the Floormakers in Level 8 from Link's Awakening, where the machine would put a walkable floor down over pits/lava, which was sometimes used as the solution to puzzles if all the pit combos were covered, and self-destructed when it hit a walkable floor? That's all I ask for, something that would work just like this as an FFC along with a script that would recognize when certain combos were eliminated, causing to trigger an item/secret combos to appear.

C-Dawg
12-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Algorithm should be pretty easy.

1. FFC starts at x,y, displaying combo 1. Save the combo it's displaying.
2. Set it up in ZQuest so that when Link does something (maybe hit the FFC with a sword, maybe step on a switch, etc) the FFC's combo changes.
3. When the FFC combo changes, have it move in a given direction as long as there is a pit combo in front of it. Change combos it moves over to walkable. When it hits a combo without a pit, pop it.

Alternatively, you could have it check for secret flags and follow those, to get a curvy path.

Nimono
12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
What about lava? In LA, the very first "Floormaker" you found was in a room filled with lava. The closest we have is the damage combos, so how about it checks for a certain flag instead, like the No Push Blocks flag? I mean, that's basically what the Floormaker is, a special push block. (And you actually had to PUSH it to make it work, duh.) I think it should start up when you push it, Link gets frozen afterwards, and it moves according to your button presses, and Link won't move an inch (Basically, it intercepts your arrow-key presses). If it moves to a combo with the No Push Blocks flag, it stops. Either way, making it stop when it hits a combo other than Direct Warp doesn't make sense. You'd need to make it stop when it tries to move over a combo other than whatever you specify, so you can make it modular.

Rakki
12-12-2006, 04:49 AM
If I knew the syntax for scripting, I'd be able to do this. Like you said, pikaguy, it just relies on button presses, which seem simple enough. And what's the problem with making the starting combo a treasure chest which Link pushes against to make the FFC activate? That'd make it a heck of a lot closer to how it acts in LA.

(I'm just assuming it wouldn't be possible, or look good, to have the FFC start on a block being pushed.)